JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Watch deemed to have liquid damage

(Topic created: 04-25-2021 09:24 AM)
userj87ccb2Lq4
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Purchased this device because of the water resistance claim. Now, less than a year old, and two minutes swimming with the swim lock feature on, the screen went into reboot mode over and over then went black.  I'm being told the same garbage everyone here is, out of warranty due to water damage. Seems like there is a defective issue here and not just something the customer is, or is not doing. So to repair at my expense Samsung wants another $231.  I was also told there is no one that would be able to assist me. This is just not right! I kept being told that this watch is water resistant but not waterproof, yet it has a swimming tracker even on it?  If that is the case, this watch should not be marketed as an athletic watch nor should the consumer be advised that they are able to wear this watch while swimming and ANY other activity where it may encounter some form of liquid.  I never would have guessed that water damage while swimming in 48" of water, for only 2 minutes, less than a year old would be able to be an issue for this watch or that my watch had any issue with water damage because it has been working properly. Paying almost the price of a new watch just to repair my current watch is just insane. This is absolutely, unbelievably outrageous and I would like to speak with someone, as soon as possible, regarding this issue. With so many complaints on this same topic, I believe there is a known issue here that Samsung is hiding behind.  This is a watch that has a swim mode and a water lock function. Customer services has been a blackhole of nonsense where they pass your call back and forth between the same departments where the only proposed resolution is to pay the fee or choose to have the broken watch mailed back.  Thank  you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungRei
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Watch

I understand how frustrating it is to have a watch not working properly. For service repair options, please reach out to us via one of the following options: 1. Facebook Messenger: http://m.me/samsungsupport 2. Twitter: https://twitter.com/messages/compose?recipient_id=18768513- 3. Private Message: http://bit.ly/2XERsky 4. By calling: 1-800-786-7864

Please note that Physical and/or liquid damage is not covered under the warranty.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
18 Replies
SamsungQue
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Watch

I would like to look into this issue further for you. Can you send me a private message using this link here? (http://bit.ly/2HP0oRi) Provide the following information.

• Model number
  • Serial number
0 Likes
oeagleo
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am wondering, did you return the watch to Samsung, or was it through a 3rd party repair solution?  I know here in Utah, there is no Samsung repair facility, but to have anything checked out, we must go to a 3rd party something like "U break I fix", or something like that.  

I have seen this before, where a 3rd party (or even perhaps Samsung itself?) use this as an additional source of income, where they "can't make any money unless they repair something".  I have owned many (yes, MANY) other fitness watches, Apple, Garmin, Suunto, Polar, and Fitbit, all of which have the same IP68 rating, and none, NONE of these ever have had problems with me swimming, or doing water aerobics.  In Samsung's own words, quoted from their website touting the Galaxy 3's IP rating:

"Water-resistant up to 50 meters per ISO standard 22810:2010. Not intended for scuba diving. Avoid excessive, sudden temperature changes and high-velocity activities. Rinse in fresh water/dry after use in sea water or chlorinated water."

So, unless this watch of yours was subjected to a depth of 50 meters, (that's quite some bathtub), what you see here is outright fraudulent advertising, and needs to be addressed by something more professional than an IP to a moderator.  It happens way too much.

userj87ccb2Lq4
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Returned directly to Samsung. Worn by a stay at home house wife during a pandemic, so no high velocity activites, no scuba diving or salt water, utilized swim mode and crashed after two minutes swimming. Appreciate your recommendations on other fitness watches you've proven out.

oeagleo
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

Per your question on other watches you've swam with, I've used Garmin Fenix's, 3, 5, and 6, and Apple watch Series 3, 4, and 6, all in swimming, and in water aerobics classes with no prolbems.  After reading the horror stories about "warranty voided due to water damage" in these forums, I'm simply afraid to get my Galaxy Watch 3 even damp.  See my postulation below for what I think is actually going on. 😄

userj87ccb2Lq4
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

So Samsung will not be standing behind their advertised watch claims nor the warranty. They want to send back an unusable watch less than a year old. It's useless to me. The forum wearable horror stories continue. I will be letting Costco know. I was a loyal Samsung supporter of 3 tablets, 2 TV's,  2 earbuds and 3 phones, but I'm done now.

useruIqeKjM9cy
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

The exact same thing just happened to me.  10 months old,  12 months warranty.  Water mode on, 5 minutes later reboot cycle then black screen. Repair shop says liquid damage, you must have misused it, warranty is void.

After arguing and googling to show them the specs, they agreed to send it to another repair shop for second opinion,  but I am expecting the same result.

<edit>

userj87ccb2Lq4
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Same, blamed me, must be something we did. Without even discussing or asking for the Health Tracker log. The watch is on the wrist of a 55 yr old housewife who has not left the house in a year. Hopefully a watch can stand up to that. With this issue they seem to be hiding behind some known issue on durability. Let me know how the secondary opinion turns out, I'm sure nothing will be done.

jaz915
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
Omg this is exactly what happened to me just yesterday I went swimming and my watch went all crazy and rebooting and tried again now it won't turn on, I buy everything Samsung and I'm reading all these comments and posts and I am so upset that Samsung wouldn't honor to replace their defective units. I am about to turn two yrs with my watch in August. This is so unfair and not right. I am about to submit a claim to see what they tell me but from what I read this is definitely NOT A WATERPROOF WATCH for athletes and should be removed from their advertisment and also from the packaging.
userj87ccb2Lq4
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Best of luck on having them step up and support their product. Customer service is not on par, they will bounce you all around. Let us know what they say. My guess, "Technician says water damage, warranty voided".  With all these similar complaints it's hard to believe we are all mistreating our devices. Never a design/manufacturing issue.