Original topic:

Watch stopped working while swimming-- Samsung voided warranty!

(Topic created: a month ago)
LP405
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I purchased my Galaxy Active2 in December 2020. I have used it to exercise and swim at least twice a week until last week when I checked to see my lap progress while swimming and the watch rebooted and wouldn't come back on. I swim on the surface for 30 mins and always use the water swimming feature and follow directions after using the watch after swimming. Despite doing this, Samsung will not honor the warranty and fix my watch without paying $208. I spoke to numerous employees and no one will help. Did anyone get their watch replaced for free? I googled and see that other people have had the same problem. I have a Galaxy cellphone and a Samsung tablet. I'm really upset with Samsung's customer service and don't plan to purchase any more products from them.

I'm a professor and teach hundreds of college students per year and I plan to tell my students (especially the athletes) not to purchase a watch from Samsung!

5 Replies
Leify
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
This is a known issue with them. They market it for use with water but deny the warranty for you guessed it - water damage. The complaining you read was true and it's a scumbag move. Another one of the numerous things they do to take your money and run, then try to grab more. Deceptive marketing at their finest. File a complaint with the BBB or something but don't expect a meaningful response. It's all canned answers just like the rest of their lack of support. They don't understand that half of keeping customers is treating them like humans and honoring what you say. See if you still have any purchase protection with your card you may have paid with and explain they're not honoring the warranty and you're being defrauded because you might just get a charge back even now.
0 Likes
cchat9000
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
Just giving you what I have understood I am not on oneside or the other. The watch is IP68 rated to my understanding
"IP rating of 68, which means you can bring it with you on adventures and take comfort in knowing that you can carry on using these devices.

Devices backed by an international standard rating of IP68 are deemed fit enough to withstand dust, dirt and sand, and are resistant to submersion up to a maximum depth of 1.5m underwater for up to thirty minutes.

*Based on test conditions for submersion in up to 1.5 meters of freshwater for up to 30 minutes. Not advised for beach or pool use. Water or dust damage not covered by warranty."
https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/what-is/ip68/
0 Likes
LP405
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
Thanks for your post. The link you provided pertains to phones. The language about beach or pool use is not listed in the documentation for the Galaxy Watch. In fact, it says to rinse the watch with water if used in salt water!
cchat9000
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
Correct it is in reference to phones. I just see it as if a watch doesn't say waterproof it should not say you can swim with it. I did see the specific documentation you are referring to. Best bet is to try a local store that does Samsung warranty work. They get paid for repairs by Samsung so they are sometimes more realistic
userFIloVIUDIs
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

The watch stopped working with water in it and Samsung refused to repair it on the warranty. This bothered me a lot. I used the Huawei watch for swimming and it was very excellent

0 Likes