Original topic:

Watch4 Improvements Rolling Out Regularly

(Topic created: 10-18-2021 09:08 PM)
WirelessMike
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I had intended to post an update to a post about some of the features of the Galaxy Watch4 in comparison to the previous Galaxy Active watches, but the topic was closed, so here's a couple positive updates:

I had an issue with not being able to pause simply by hitting the button like the old Active Watch (a great feature to immediately pause a swim workout while in water lock mode), but it turns out you can just press and hold the bottom button for a second or 2 and it will pause without you having to touch the screen. I discovered this because my glove stays on the buttons when cycling and accidentally pauses my ride (easily solved by just moving the watch to the opposite wrist while riding, and eventually getting some smaller, better-fitting gloves proved to be an even better solution). If Samsung can allow the bottom button to function while in water lock mode in a future update, that minor inconvenience is solved. Of course, the greatly improved accuracy counting laps makes the Watch4 a must-have upgrade for swimmers, regardless [UPDATE: Now you CAN manually pause a workout in water lock mode as of the 10/20 update - Just press and hold lower button].

Also that weird "first time reaching goal" steps goal message that was popping up any time you met your steps goal has been fixed in updates, too. It makes much more sense now.

The Watch4 just keeps getting better as updates continue to roll out. I'm very happy now with the upgrade!

8 Replies
userD7sd4jj0DE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I appreciate hearing these updates.  Can you tell me if the Keep Display On function for workout modes has been restored with the new updates?  Initial iterations of the GW4 only allowed for Always On Display for workout modes and that isn't the same or nearly as good. 

WirelessMike
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Not yet. I'm looking forward to a solution for that, as well. I check for updates every week, so if I see that gets addressed, I'll definitely mention it here.
userD7sd4jj0DE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
Thanks!
0 Likes
WirelessMike
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Yet another great update today! So for the swimmers out there, I can verify that pressing and holding the bottom button while in water lock mode DOES PAUSE the swim! For my needs, this makes the Watch4 perfect now for swimming, as you can pause as soon as you're done swimming, giving an accurate last lap and overall time measurement, and then "finish" the workout after exiting the pool, drying, and turning off water lock mode. This is in addition to the fact that since it came out, the Watch4 is FAR superior to previous Active Watches in lap-tracking.

The 4 new faces that have been added, though very nice, are still not as informative for me as the default fitness face, "Digital dashboard," or "Health dashboard+," though I do like the look of the new "Info Brick."

The workouts still don't have an "always on display" option without turning on the default "always on display."

This is still a bit of an inconvenience, especially with regard to workouts involving multiple sets, because if the display isn't on, there's no notification that the rest between sets has expired (well, there's usually no notification, but sometimes there is). Not a major issue to me, but it worked fine on Tizen and I was used to it.

userD7sd4jj0DE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thanks for this update!  ... especially regarding the "Keep Display On" workout function (or current lack thereof).  I'm glad they fixed the pause function.  Please keep us posted!

steveo57
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am so happy.  Things I have noticed since last two updates. 

First Update

1. Able to add gboard keyboard back without locking up Google Message and other apps that it

2. Google Keep now actually goes to files without locking up on synching

Second Update  DUJA

1. GMail notifications and sounds now apparently work

2. Inactive and other notifications alerts improved

3. Seems to be much quicker and more responsive

4. Did not break improvements to Google Keep and Gboard use (i was worried that this update would break this fix from the previous update).

5. Looks like battery is on track to do 1.5 to 2 days depending on use

Going to gym today and will test and report back whether or not complete heart rate dropout during treadmill has been fixed as suggested.  Need more testing but on Stress test it actually went all the way to 100% (not skipping to from 80% to 100% and registering no stress) and registered a reading but just did it again when I tested it again so we will see.

If i find any other improvements I will report back.

WirelessMike
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
I thought I noticed a little improvement in battery life, as well. I'm happy to hear that might not be just my perception.
0 Likes
userajwGryu7z4
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

My Galaxy 4 Classic battery took a complete dive after update to R890XXU1DUJA. 7 hours from 100% to 0%. I have factory reset the watch in hopes that it would improve this issue and will monitor over the next few days.

0 Likes