Original topic:

Watch4 misidentified AF 5 times

(Topic created: 01-06-2023 10:35 AM)
Kalique
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I started having episodes of heart palpatations and neck vessels pounding. Bought Watch4 to monitor episodes. Five times Watch4 identified A Fib. I had cardiology consult given my age (almost 70). During 30-day Holter monitor, the episodes Watch4 identified as A FlB, were actually Ventricular Tachycardia with PVC couplets. My heart rate during all episodes was 76, 70, 66, 60 and 72. So Watch4 is identifying Irregular heart beat at normal rate but misclassying it at AF. No AF was identified in 30 days of continuous medical Holter monitor. Samsung needs to tweak algorithm to not misidentify other arrhythmias as AF. Makes doctors more skeptical of wearable device data.

I also had standard ECG, echocardiogram, PET Stress/Scan and 30-day Holter monitor. Very costly error when A FIB not present.

4 Replies
LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@Kalique That is why you see the warning that is "for information only" every time you launch the ECG app. 

0 Likes
Kalique
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
No. It says "ATRIAL FIBRILLATION. Abnormal heart rhythm detected. Talk to your doctor about this result."

Seriously. What good is misidentified arrhythmia as A FIB when arrhythmia is benign, common place (PVCs). Totally different and costly error. The biggest issue is doctors do not trust device data now. I am in age group where risk of AF is much higher and my cardiologist took it seriously. Now? No way.

😂Lucky for Samsung. My cardiologist's notes said my "Apple Watch" identicated AF.
LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@Kalique When you go to your watch, open the ECG app, there is a big informational dialog above the OK button. Screenshot_20230106_151129_shealthmonitor.png

0 Likes
Kalique
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I don't care what it says when you open app. It is what is says when A FIB detected. It is NOT informational purposes only if it warns you that A FIB detected and go talk to your doctor. In the case of PVC, it should not misidentify as A FIB. This misidentification has serious consequences. Either doctor will ignore a real A FIB from device or do extensive workup to only discover benign PVC.

I understand that Samsung is telling patients to talk to doctor when Watch detects A FIB to avoid liability. But when the algorithm cannot distinguish between between PVC and A FIB, that is useless information and possibly dangerous information.

I would like to see Samsung do further algorithm refinement to NOT falsely report A FIB when merely PVC. My doctors were skeptical when I said SmartWatch identified possible A FIB five times. Now, they will be even more skeptical. Should I have ignored A FIB five times when feeling palpatations? Or given my risk factors for A FIB, seek cardiology consultation? If I went after only ONE event, shame on me. But after five events, shame on me for ignoring.
0 Likes