cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Weather refuses to update on Watch

Same issue here.  I recently updated from Android 7 to Android 8.  Suddenly my weather app won't refresh except when on wifi or when restarted.  If I try to refresh it any other time, I just get the endless spinning icon.  Very frustrated by this issue and for being ghosted by Samsung regarding it.

Just for clarity - I've tried erasing the cache of the watch app, erasing the data of the watch app, reinstalling the watch app, factory resetting the watch, and factory resetting the phone.

First Samsung chat rep:  Seemed to jump to the conclusion that I was talking about a different issue.  Told me it was already being worked on and an email would be sent within 24-72 hours to notify me of the release of the patch.  Never got any response.

Second Samsung chat rep:  Told me that all he could do was escalate the ticket to the development team.  He had no way to give me any verification that it was something they would even try to fix, so we'll just have to cross our fingers that they care.

Highlighted
Constellation

Having the same issue.  My weather used to update then it just stopped.  The only time it updates now is if I go into the wearable app on my phone, select weather then settings. Then I have to select current location, turn off the agree and turn it back on.  

I don't understand it - it worked perfectly before. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

This is also the only way I can get the watch to update, use the wearable app to turn on and off location. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Same happening to me now. Just started in the last day or so. Phone is S8+, watch is Active 2.  On watch if I try to update via the sync update circle...just spins and no update. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

I was having similar issues and the problem for me was the The Weather Channel app on my phone was set to automatically sleep when inactive.

On my phone in SETTINGS>DEVICE CARE>BATTERY>APP POWER MANAGEMENT and selected Apps that won't be put to sleep and added The Weather Channel

So far it seems to have corrected the update issue except in the weather widget - The widget sometimes is still behind and struggles with updating info.

Highlighted
Constellation

Thanks. Worked for me.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

We're glad that you're up and running! 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I think the problem with accept as solution is that one guy said it worked, and then the thread will close and leave the rest of us in the lurch. Also it would have been nice to have a Samsung input on this aside from "mark the other guy's thing as correct." 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Ok, so I've noticed that I only have this problem when connected to my phone via Bluetooth.

If I am on Wi-Fi or LTE the watch widget updates perfectly, both manually and automatically. The time of the update is shown correctly and the weather conditions are correct. However once I am back in range of my phone and it connects via Bluetooth, not only does the update no longer work manually or automatically , but also the Update time and weather data revert to the last time it got them from the phone. 

this is still happening for me no matter what power settings, Weather Channel app/widget settings, etc. I even installed "Weather Channel for Samsung" from the play store thinking it might be some proprietary connection. Nothing.

I'm not going to reset my watch and cache and data again because the only reason this has any effect is because turning the location on and off on the wearable app happens as part of it. 

Come on Samsung! Weather is such a basic function! $500 for laughable tech. Sp02 and ekg and whatever are super. But you can't get this simple function right? 

Highlighted
Asteroid

A recent update for the watch or Samsung app seems to have fixed it.  Even with the watch connected only via bluetooth (wifi disabled) to the phone (on either wifi or cell network) it manually refreshes just like it did on Android 7.  I haven't gotten to see if the auto-refresh works, but I'll monitor that today and update when I know.

After only getting silence or lies from Samsung, it's amazing to see this working again.