cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

does GPS in galaxy watch need WiFi or 4G/LTE to count steps?

I want to buy Galaxy watch Active 2 but I don't want to get one with cellular capability. I'm wondering if I can use the GPS to count my steps and track my activity. I know if my phone can track steps even when on airplane mode so I guess the can do it as well, but I want to double check. So does the galxy watches have a built in gps than can track activity without any Wi-Fi or cellular connection????????
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: does GPS in galaxy watch need WiFi or 4G/LTE to count steps?

I have the GPS model and it's great on recording my activities, especially my walks, how many steps, calories burnt etc. in my opinion Samsung watch is the best. I couldn't get the simplicity of this feature on an iwatch 5.
Highlighted

Re: does GPS in galaxy watch need WiFi or 4G/LTE to count steps?

The step counter works separate from the GPS. GPS positioning measure distance better than the step counter alone. The GPS function does not need to use the cellular watch connection (on the LTE model). I have the GW LTE model but never activated LTE. Since the watch is specified to have A-GPS (assistance over internet) it should acquire the position much faster and better if it can access internet via Bluetooth to the phone cellular connection but I have used the Watch GPS standalone also.