cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GorillaD
Asteroid

galaxy watch prevents other bluetooth devices from playing media audio!

Ever since i paired my 46mm galaxy watch (tizen version 4.0.0.1) to my unlocked Samsung S7 (SM-G930U) running Android 8.0.0 i have to fight to get my bluetooth audio devices to play media audio EVERY TIME! 

I use about 6 different bluetooth devices (earbuds,  car stereos, headset with mic,  and shower speakers) and none of them had a problem connecting until i bought and paired the watch. 

In order to get bluetooth audio to work i have go to my bluetooth settings -> select my device and hit the settings gear -> select "Media Audio".  This needs to be done EVERY TIME any bluetooth device connects.   If I'm using my bluetooth headset,  enable media audio,  listen to pandora, then turn my headset off and back on again (almost) every time i have go jump through the hoops again to enable media audio. 

If i disable bluetooth on the watch (making it mostly useless)  and repeat the same steps the headset continues to play my music, audiobook, or movie audio just fine!

This is driving me nuts!!!!  I can't believe I'm the only person to have seen things but I've spent hours googling and can't find anyone else with similar issues.   Had anyone else seen this or has a fix??

I've spent hours looking through the settings but can't find anything related. 

Help!

47 REPLIES 47
GorillaD
Asteroid

Re: galaxy watch prevents other bluetooth devices from playing media audio!

Has anyone else even seen this behavior?  I can't image I'm the only one??!?

Edit:  WOW!  Just got off the phone & chat with Samsung support and they insist this behavior is by design.  (I still can't swallow that is is acceptable behavior).

Clips from chat conversation:

Support: I see that you have concerns in regards to the Gear device as the bluetooth needs to be manually changed to Audio mode

me: that's correct

Support: Please allow me to explain the situation in detail

The Gear device is designed to have stable connection to transmit data from phone to the Gear however in order to have this function the bluetooth function is switched to different profile other than media

This is the reason why the there is a possibility that it might need to be changed occcasionally

I do understand that this is bit trick

Support: The issue you are referring to is constantly under development however based on the device architecture our development team is constantly working on it and it will certainly be addressed in the next update

me: other bluetooth devices (such as my bluetooth headphones) should be able to play music from my phone when the phone is connected, right?

how is is that nobody else seems to be having this issue??

Support: Sure, however as per the device architecture you will need to manually select and enable media audio for headphones for music
Me: Okay
Me: EVERY SINGLE TIME?
Support: Yes this is by design
Support: In future updates this might be enhanced

userOWggVq1YHa
Constellation

Guess that explains why my phone will no longer pair with my cars.  Used to be automatic .

GorillaD
Asteroid

I can't believe we're the only 2 people having this issue, right?  or that it's acceptable?

For documentation, what model of phone do you have?  (Model name & number if you don't mind)

Thanks

userLpuMmyVCHC
Constellation

I have a Samsung 8 phone, a 2019 Honda and I bought the active watch yesterday. I am so frustrated because it will not let me play my media library from my phone to my car's Bluetooth. Never before has this been a problem  ever. The problem started yesterday morning. The watch is going back to the store tomorrow maybe if enough people return the watches they'll fix the problem because apparently they are very aware of it but they are  so lazy or arrogant that they don't think there's a need to fix it. Send us a patch Samsung don't be so lazy

userzyuAh9LRxO
Constellation

No your not the only person in this universe or any other solar system. I have spent countless hours at the Chevy dealership (2019 Tahoe) having infotainment software downloaded and bottom line...my watch and yours is a $300.00 paperweight. I called Samsung and the answer is Apple seems to have beaten Samsung to the punch. Their wearables dont have the same issue as they have some wing ding prpriotary softwear that overrides the Bluetooth issue and works perfectly. My watch is 40 days old and was a Amazon purchase, here is the dig, it was purchased thru a reseller, 10% restocking fee, I'm squeezing their balls in a vice trying to get a equal to the 10% in Amazon Prine membership extension. You can never beat a New Yorker...either at Amazon or at the tables. To be continued.

useroPICjpScEP
Astronaut

Sounds like you enjoy getting your way.. I have a Note 9 with a 2013 Veloster, my galaxy watch pairs to my phone automatically for calls and msgs.. when I enter and start my car the stereo pairs just like usual, as well as the watch working simultaneously, when I go to the gym my phone pairs with my galaxy buds and watch like normal as well. I dont like throwing shade but it seems here that you're upset for the wrong reasons and you should remember that "User Error" is most likely your issue. Try googling the situation if you can't wrap your hands around the technology on your own Smiley Happy

usernRPeoU7bms
Constellation

Well I have the Razer 1 phone. And both my 2018 Dodge Challenger and my Gear S3 frontier watch worked at the same time with no problem. Then the new android Update happened and it wouldnt work. Im not sure why now samsung is saying its their softwares fault now, cause my car and watch worked with my phone and never had issues. My phone automatically connected to the car and the watch stayed constantly with it.

EandC
Astronaut

I'm in the same boat. Just got the Active Watch 2 in early November. Everything was working well until a week ago when the phone couldn't pair with or find the new watch and I had to reset the watch and reinstall the Wearable app from square one. Did it a couple of times then it finally paired with the watch. After that, both my cars wouldn't pair with my phone anymore. Prior to this new watch, when I get into the cars, the cars automatically pair with my phone.

Something is wrong Samsung! Get it fix! I love your watches but I shouldn't have to choose between paring with my watch or my cars. 

Highlighted
GorillaD
Asteroid

So after nearly a week I got a call back from Samsung support.  Their "official" answer is that the Samsung Galaxy S7 only supports bluetooth 4.2 which can only support one bluetooth media audio device at a time.  Because of this it causes this connection issue.  Therefore I should shell out for a new phone (S8 or newer).  

I still don't buy it.  

1) I don't need or want media audio going to my watch

2) my S7 does connect to multiple bluetooth devices at a time that support media audio.  Only one can have the media audio role at a time but it freely passes that role back and forth between devices easily.  

3) the watch does not even have a media audio selection available in the bluetooth setting screen.

4) Per the Samsung website "Compatible with select Bluetooth-capable smartphones. GALAXY WATCH supported features may vary by carrier and compatible device. For a list of compatible smartphones and features, please visit https://www.samsung.com/galaxywatch/device-compatibility. For best results, connect with compatible Samsung Galaxy smartphones"

I'm not sure how many others are seeing this, but if you are, comment with your phone model & thoughts so Samsung can see this is not acceptable.