cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GorillaD
Asteroid

galaxy watch prevents other bluetooth devices from playing media audio!

Ever since i paired my 46mm galaxy watch (tizen version 4.0.0.1) to my unlocked Samsung S7 (SM-G930U) running Android 8.0.0 i have to fight to get my bluetooth audio devices to play media audio EVERY TIME! 

I use about 6 different bluetooth devices (earbuds,  car stereos, headset with mic,  and shower speakers) and none of them had a problem connecting until i bought and paired the watch. 

In order to get bluetooth audio to work i have go to my bluetooth settings -> select my device and hit the settings gear -> select "Media Audio".  This needs to be done EVERY TIME any bluetooth device connects.   If I'm using my bluetooth headset,  enable media audio,  listen to pandora, then turn my headset off and back on again (almost) every time i have go jump through the hoops again to enable media audio. 

If i disable bluetooth on the watch (making it mostly useless)  and repeat the same steps the headset continues to play my music, audiobook, or movie audio just fine!

This is driving me nuts!!!!  I can't believe I'm the only person to have seen things but I've spent hours googling and can't find anyone else with similar issues.   Had anyone else seen this or has a fix??

I've spent hours looking through the settings but can't find anything related. 

Help!

34 REPLIES 34
GorillaD
Asteroid

Re: galaxy watch prevents other bluetooth devices from playing media audio!

Has anyone else even seen this behavior?  I can't image I'm the only one??!?

Edit:  WOW!  Just got off the phone & chat with Samsung support and they insist this behavior is by design.  (I still can't swallow that is is acceptable behavior).

Clips from chat conversation:

Support: I see that you have concerns in regards to the Gear device as the bluetooth needs to be manually changed to Audio mode

me: that's correct

Support: Please allow me to explain the situation in detail

The Gear device is designed to have stable connection to transmit data from phone to the Gear however in order to have this function the bluetooth function is switched to different profile other than media

This is the reason why the there is a possibility that it might need to be changed occcasionally

I do understand that this is bit trick

Support: The issue you are referring to is constantly under development however based on the device architecture our development team is constantly working on it and it will certainly be addressed in the next update

me: other bluetooth devices (such as my bluetooth headphones) should be able to play music from my phone when the phone is connected, right?

how is is that nobody else seems to be having this issue??

Support: Sure, however as per the device architecture you will need to manually select and enable media audio for headphones for music
Me: Okay
Me: EVERY SINGLE TIME?
Support: Yes this is by design
Support: In future updates this might be enhanced

userOWggVq1YHa
Constellation

Guess that explains why my phone will no longer pair with my cars.  Used to be automatic .

GorillaD
Asteroid

I can't believe we're the only 2 people having this issue, right?  or that it's acceptable?

For documentation, what model of phone do you have?  (Model name & number if you don't mind)

Thanks

GorillaD
Asteroid

So after nearly a week I got a call back from Samsung support.  Their "official" answer is that the Samsung Galaxy S7 only supports bluetooth 4.2 which can only support one bluetooth media audio device at a time.  Because of this it causes this connection issue.  Therefore I should shell out for a new phone (S8 or newer).  

I still don't buy it.  

1) I don't need or want media audio going to my watch

2) my S7 does connect to multiple bluetooth devices at a time that support media audio.  Only one can have the media audio role at a time but it freely passes that role back and forth between devices easily.  

3) the watch does not even have a media audio selection available in the bluetooth setting screen.

4) Per the Samsung website "Compatible with select Bluetooth-capable smartphones. GALAXY WATCH supported features may vary by carrier and compatible device. For a list of compatible smartphones and features, please visit https://www.samsung.com/galaxywatch/device-compatibility. For best results, connect with compatible Samsung Galaxy smartphones"

I'm not sure how many others are seeing this, but if you are, comment with your phone model & thoughts so Samsung can see this is not acceptable.

userxpYUrKUjcr
Astronaut

I have the same exact issue with the Pixel 2 XL. No fix is in sight 

userz6Ln5P0sCv
Constellation

I also have this problem with my pixel2xl

userjg6o3jUNO5
Constellation

I also have the issue with my Note 9.  

userjzAt77NNRB
Constellation

Same exact problem with my note 9

userlVRCDlE1fW
Constellation

I have Samsung S9 and Toyota Avalon 2013 and have the same issue. The ability to make phone calls in my car via bluetooth automatically is more important to me than having smart watch, but now I can't use it because the invasive nature of the watch. I may just not use the watch.