cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

swimming outdoors and tracking distance

I tried using my Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 to track an open water swim. Since all of our pools are closed, and it looks like they will remain closed for the rest of the Summer, I will be swimming in a nearby lake. However, after swimming today, the watch recorded my heart rate and duration but not the distance. Is there something I need to adjust to get this to track the distance?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: swimming outdoors and tracking distance

Just to clarify are you using the swimming workout that says pool or outdoors on your watch?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Outdoors.  BTW, if you are with Samsung, you might want to tell the developers to change the term to 'Open Water'. There are outdoor and indoor pools. Swimming in anything other than a pool is usually referred to as open water swimming. 

And what I was referring to was open water swimming, which Samsung Health lists as outdoors. I set my watch to swimming outdoors.

Related to this issue, my watch stopped working. I initiated the workout on my watch and then proceeded to swim. After finishing my swim, I tried pushing the button to pause/stop/finish the workout. However, the screen was blank and didn't respond to any input. When I started the swim the watch showed it was 74% charged. The water temperature was 65°F. This is chilly for people but shouldn't be a problem for a watch that has worked very well in a pool. However, I am wondering about how it affects the battery. I've used this watch during sub-zero hikes in the Winter, so I don't think this is the reason that battery would drain. However, maybe the open water swim activity tracking uses up the battery much quicker. Swimming in the pool does do this but a 1-1/2 hour vigorous workout uses about 20-25% of the battery at most. Before starting this open water swim, the battery was over 80%. I tried placing my watch on the magnetic charger. I noticed a little water dripping from the watch's slots on the side of the watch opposite the buttons. On occasion, the rebooting screen will flash on the screen. The first time I noticed it, it flashed very sporadically. Then a little later, after I tried charging it, it flashed about every 10 seconds. Now the screen is completely blank. I don't know if trying to charge the watch may have caused more problems.

It is still under warranty, so I am sending it in for repair.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Did you put your watch in water lock mode before starting your workout?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

@SamsungAdam wrote:

Yes, I think I  did. I also wore a wetsuit.

Now that I think of this...

When I used it to track my pool swims, it automatically went into water lock mode. A water drop flashes on the screen. When I finish my workout, I have to push a button to turn off that mode. I don’t remember if it automatically went into that mode for outdoor (open water) swimming. I was under the impression that this water lock mode deactivates the touch screen responses so your motions don’t accidentally interrupt the tracking. Does water lock toggle something to make the watch more water proof? Also, my wetsuit is very tight and I was wearing my watch under the wetsuit (I doubt the watch could track the workout it I wore it over the wetsuit). I wonder if the constant pressure from the wetsuit could’ve been a problem.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thank you for that information. I would recommend a service repair. Can you please provide me with the following information in a private message: http://bit.ly/2JH2rq2

Full Name:
Street address:
Email Address:
Best Contact Number:
Alternate Telephone Number: (If Available)
Model Code:
Serial/IMEI Number:

Highlighted
Asteroid

Aside from the problems with my watch, could you please answer my main questions?

When my watch returns from repair I hope to use it for tracking my open water swims.

Can the outdoor swimming mode track distance?

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Hello @GregginWi,

To answer your question, Yes, the outdoor swimming mode does track distance.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks for answering my question. The reason I wasn't sure is the watch stopped working during my only real outdoor swimming session, so I wasn't able to see the results.

However, I tried tracking a kayaking session, which is not one of the supported activities on the watch but is with the Samsung Health app on my Android smartphone. I was advised to just use cycling on my watch and then edit the exercise to kayaking in Samsung Health on my phone. Unfortunately, you can't edit workouts from your watch on the Samsung Health app. The cycling setting did give me useful info, like duration, GPS route/distance. It just looks a little odd to be cycling in the middle of a lake Smiley Happy

I also tried setting my watch to outdoor swimming for one of my kayaking sessions. Using this, I did not get a distance. The data from the workout in Samsung Health only includes the duration, my heart rate, and then the calculated intensity, calories, etc. The distance was recorded as 0m / --'--" /100m. Is there a setting I need to change to get this to measure the distance?

Highlighted
Asteroid

Just to be clear...

Does waterlock mode do more than disable the touch screen to prevent water droplets and pressure from messing with the UI on screen?

Does it make the watch more waterproof? 

@SamsungAdam wrote: