JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Is the bottom of Z Flip 3 magnetic?

(Topic created: 09-08-2021 11:04 PM)
AsianZhu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Z Flip

I randomly put my phone up to my old magnetic phone holder in my car since my previous case for my S9 had a metal plate on it for a much cooler/easier phone mount while driving, and to my surprise it stuck. I wasn't sure why since the case I got with the phone (black Aramid) seems to be made entirely of plastic. I haven't put it back ever since because I'm afraid it'll screw something up with the inner workings of the phone, does anyone have any idea why the bottom of the Flip 3 seems to be magnetic and is it safe to use it as such?

8 Replies
JRTuttle4
Halo
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
I had a magnet holder in my car & the part that went on the phone was stuck to an old phone and wasn't coming off. Out of habit, I stuck my Galaxy S8+ up against it and it held it there. It must've been due to something inside the phone because there was no metal in the case I had and I kept sticking it there each time I drove and it didn't seem to affect it. I would hope they wouldn't design it so it could be damaged by a magnet, but who knows...
Sbrown88
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
Probably the battery or some components inside the phone itself with the cameras and speakers. You should be fine honestly.
0 Likes
Solution
lawls
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
I just happened to watch a teardown yesterday and there are three magnets each at the top and bottom. My guess is that they are there to keep the phone shut after you fold it.Screenshot_20210909-095739_YouTube.jpg
AsianZhu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
I watched that video too, but the part that seemed magnetic was the center not on the edges which caused me even more confusion. I'll take another look at that video though and maybe play around and see if it really are those magnets that are sticking.
0 Likes
lawls
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
Probably the wireless charging coil then.
0 Likes
AsianZhu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
There shouldn't be a problem with the wireless charger if I put it on my magnetic holder then would there?
0 Likes
lawls
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
It's not going to be an issue. When you use a wireless charger, it creates a magnetic field to produce an electric current through the copper coil on the phone.
AsianZhu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
Awesome I'll just probably see if it works as well as I hope it does without breaking anything. Thanks for the help on this!
0 Likes