JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Looking for Quick response in Messages app on Z Flip 4

(Topic created: 12-05-2022 02:59 PM)
user7q7FqJM8PU
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Z Flip

Has there been a change to the Quick response feature on the Samsung Messages app for the Z Flip 4? 

On a Galaxy S9 the + icon held the Quick response feature which was very useful. But on this Z Flip 4 I only see GIFs, Stickers, Files, Location, Contacts, and Schedule Send.  

What have I overlooked? 

0 Likes
2 Replies
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Z Flip

Hello, We agree that the Quick Responses feature is very useful. Have you tried resetting the keyboard settings? 

0 Likes
Solution
user7q7FqJM8PU
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Z Flip

Good day Samsung_Moderator,

On your advice I did find the Samsung Keypoard settings and performed a "Reset to default settings" but that did not make the Quick responses available as hoped, nor are they present on my wife's identically new Z Flip 4.   

On that same Samsung Keyboard menu one finds "Text shortcuts" where it reads  "Create shortcuts for frequently used phrases. Type a shortcut to see it as a text suggestion."

Here I can put phrases in and yes they do now appear in the suggestions line....IF I REMEMBER THE SECRET CODE....a.k.a.  "Shortcut" 

If I might suggest.... Although this method appears expedient the previous method was/is more intuitive and therefore IMHO a more useful mechanism.   I was able to find the feature on my Samsung Galaxy 9 easily, and readily add the desired responses over the life of the phone....many responses.  To use the responses, I simply selected from a long list....no SECRET CODES REQUIRED to be entered at the time of creation, or recalled.   Perhaps you could suggest to the developers that they augment the existing setup, so no one is distracted.  On the menu provided when the '+' button is touched add an Icon along with GIFs, Stickers, Files, Location, Contacts and Schedule Send.  That Icon would provide the list of Quick responses as we had all used before.    Easily to find, simple to use. 

I wrote in-house code for a large group of electronic circuit designers for many years and learned three important lessons.

1) Never implement a change on a Friday and then walk out the door for the weekend.

2) Never alter the behavior or the tools to which users have become accustomed.  If a new capability is created, add it as a parallel feature not a replacement.  

3) Be sure that a time-savings on my part does not become a time-expense on the part of my user.   No one wins because my time savings will evaporate in response to complaint. 

Thanks for the response Samsung_Moderator...it can cold out here in the void.  If I might suggest to you personally.   I think your response was intended to point me in the direction of the feature and although that proved useful a little more content would have been more valuable to the user and future readers of this dialog. The goal is to provide expedient solutions.   Simply say,  "With the release of the Samsung Message app on this generation of phone the Quick response feature behaves differently than in the past.  One can use the "Text shortcuts on the Samsung Keyboard settings menu.  These Shortcuts will then appear in the text suggestions line when preparing the message response."

Is this feature discussed in the manual.  Perhaps I was not diligent enough. 

Thanks,

Marty