cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Odyssey Headset Tracking Shaky

Hi there, I have a first generation Samsung Odyssey headset for Woindows MR that has been working fine until recent Windows updates. When I start the Mixed Reality portal tracking in the headset is fine for 20 seconds, then everything becomes shaky as I move left to right. Microsoft support is stumped. I have reloaded windows, reinstalled all drivers and softwares and still not working. I have tried chaning to 90Hz and also setting to High quality but this only works for about 20 seconds and then reverts to poor tracking. Anyone having this issue?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Odyssey Headset Tracking Shaky

I am experiencing the exact same problem right  now.
Haven't been using the headset since Christmas and connected it to my PC yesterday...

I am suspecting an issue with Windows itself or the graphics drivers. Maybe also an issue with the dual GPU (since I have a laptop, Intel and NVidia GPU).

I am on it, contacted Samsung support yesterday via Facebook and also sent them the link to this thread.

Have you been able to solve the problem yet?

Constellation

Hi there, I have been able to fix the issue through a reinstall of windows 10. Although I had done this through the windows refresh option a number of times, as well as with an ISO file that Microsoft provided, what worked is when I selected NOT to keep my files on the install drive and do a complete clean of the system. When I was working with Microsoft they sent me a 5gig ISO file that did the reinstall and updates, but they were advising me to keep my files. It was only when I selected the option to not keep anything on the install drive that it finally worked and has been working since. I have also backed up an image just in case. I hope this works for you, as Samsung was telling me it was a hardware issue, Asus was telling me it was a software or OS issue, Microsoft was telling me it was a driver hardware issue, and NVidia was telling me it was a hardware issue (note the dizzying circle). I finally spoke to someone who told me to do a complete windows reinstall and wipe everything on the install drive. I truly hope this works for you.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks heaps!!!

That is what I suspected. Samsung implies it might be a hardware problem, but that is probably total nonsense. It works for 20 seconds and if it were hardware, that wouldn't be the case.

Samsung should know that however... totally helpless and a disappointment.

I will wait a while for Win10 updates. If that ain't a remedy, I will go through the pain of a total reinstall.

Thanks a lot for getting back to this, I wish you good health and good luck from Germany!

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hi @uservLlrNam6Rf 

thank you for this question you can try to calibrate your headset thru

Calibrating your Windows Mixed Reality headset's screen

Mixed Reality

To make adjustments, follow these steps:

1. Open Settings on your PC.
  2. Click on Mixed Reality.
  3. From the sidebar, select the headset display.

From here, you can alter two things: The quality of the visuals, and the calibration. In particular, you'll want to look at the latter, but it's also worth seeing if setting the quality higher makes a difference. The levels range from low to very high (beta) and by default will be set to automatic. However, your system may underestimate how good Mixed Reality can look.

hopefully, this will help with your problem

Be sure to click " ✔ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you

Highlighted
Product Expert

No problem if you still have followup questions feel free to post it here or tag me on 

I really like the VR and Mixed reality stuff

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi Joellem,

thank you again for your reply, I now went through the steps you suggested.

As the thread initiator already stated, changing the quality setting does not work. It just kind of resets the 20 seconds that the Odyssey is working normally and then the shaking returns.

As for the calibration, I am not sure if I got you right. You want me to change a value there... well, the calibration setting in the WMR settings refers to the distance between the eyes. This has nothing to do with the problem and also is not adjustable via the settings when using the Samsung Odyssey, as the Odyssey has an actual adjustment wheel for that on the visor. When it is moved the calibration value changes. The calibration setting is only for other WMR headsets that do not come with the adjustable eye distance feature that the Odyssey has.

This is apparently a problem with Windows MR. It now starts crashing on startup from time to time and also sometimes gives a "15-5 error" that leads me nowhere when googling for it.

Samsung supports leans towards a hardware failure which obviously is nonsense.

As Samsung does not seem to be of any help with this - apparently not knowing their own product - I will try to get support from Microsoft. As that will probably not be of any help either when considering past experiences with Microsoft support, I will have to go through a total wipe and reinstall as described above... oh well

Highlighted
Asteroid

Good news, I found the problem to this issue!

Here is what I did:

After reading the hint in this thread that the problem could be solved by doing a clean reinstall of Windows 10, I did just that by the USB-stick method just to be sure it would work. That said, it most probably was not necessary, but no big deal and after almost 4 years of Windows 10 running on my PC without any refresh, this was a good idea anyway.

So why was it not necessary? Because it is not a problem directly related to Windows.

The problem is caused by later versions of NVidia GeForce Game Ready Drivers.

On my first attempt of the reinstall, I installed Intel and Nvidia graphic drivers first (as I have a dual GPU laptop, Intel 530 and GeForce 970M), as well as missing Windows updates.

I then connected the Odyssey to my PC and installed Windows Mixed Reality Portal.

Well, I encountered the exact same problem, so I had to start over.

Did a new clean Windows install via USB-Stick again and then connected the Odyssey first before installing any drivers or updates. After the Mixed Reality Portal had been installed, I tested the Odyssey and now everything was fine.

Next step was to install latest Windows Updates that were not included in the version provided by the Windows Media Creation Tool that I used to create the bootable USB stick.

After these, the Odyssey still worked fine.

Next in line was the driver for the Intel HD Graphics 530 GPU, I installed the latest version 26.20.100.7985 directly from Intel's website. After that again the Odyssey worked perfectly fine.

So now on to the NVidia GeForce drivers... after the clean install, Windows runs on a 399.xx GeForce driver by default. I downloaded and installed the latest version 445.75 which I also had installed before the Windows reinstall. After I finished that and did a reboot, the problem returned.

So now I knew that it most likely was a problem with these drivers.

I installed 445.75 recently, but I had installed 441.87 early January 2020 and don't recall when I did the last GeForce driver update before that. Last time I had used the Odyssey was around Christmas, so I must have had an earlier version than 441.87.

That said, I went ahead and started to roll back on GeForce Driver versions. For this, it is important to use a tool like Display Driver Uninstaller in order to completely and thoroughly remove any driver remains before installing a new (or in this case old) driver.

So I knew I had an older version than 441.87 when I last time had the Odyssey working. So first I tried 441.66 (Dec 2019), but the problem returned.

So I rolled back to 431.60 (Jul 2019), which I suspected to be the last version I ran before I installed 441.87 in January. And bingo, this version is ok and the Odyssey is running smooth again!!!

Now I am not sure if that is the last GeForce driver that works with the Odyssey, but it is fine for me and I have no ambition to find out if e.g. 436.xx or 440.xx works as well. That is now a task for Samsung and NVidia to do and the whole thing will hopefully be fixed in future versions of the GeForce drivers.

It would be nice if Samsung could provide feedback in this thread about wether they are going to address this with NVidia in order to solve this issue.

I will also contact NVidia support about this.

Hope this helps a lot of people.

And to Samsung: get to know your own products better. I am an end user who is not a computer expert and I could solve this in 2 days. Your US support did nothing but suspecting a hardware failure which was of no help at all. Sorry to be that harsh but a company like Samsung should know their stuff!!!

Best regards

Highlighted
Astronaut

I'm getting the same issue with the Odyssey plus.  I started to get the ghosting or stuttering of the the display as soon as my laptop started to update the nvidia driver or the UHD intel driver.  Was working perfectly before that.  The headset is useless right now.  Make it hard to play any games or even use the headset for development.  I was going to use them for teaching vr development using unity, but now I am not sure what to do with them.  

I do believe that it is a video driver issue, but I was online with nvidia and they couldn't solve it.  I was also working with microsoft and they had no answer.  I'm kinda stuck.  

Highlighted
Asteroid

This is a NVidia driver issue.

You need to roll back to an older version.

Apparently nobody from the online services of Samsung, Microsoft, Intel or NVidia can solve this... but you have the solution in my post above.