JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Gear 360 (2017) won't charge/turn on

(Topic created: 08-03-2017 09:51 AM)
user04tBTyvEs2
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My new Gear 360 arrived yesterday. I installed a memory card, then plugged the camera in with the included USB cable and my Samsung charger. The manual said to let it fully charge, so I left it plugged in overnight. This morning I tried to power up the device, but there is no response whatsoever. No lights, no display, nothing. I know the charger is good because it charges my S7 just fine. The manual isn't very detailed, so I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
161 Replies
useryeMvysV2k4
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Same issue here I have talked to 6 different Samsung people and now waiting on an email to return for replacement.  Very frustrating every time I called Samsung they would say oh thats not our area let me connect you to the correct department only to get transfered to someone else. 

0 Likes
usereG78nElhSY
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I was also so frustrated. I tried everything yesterday, but while waiting I tried twice plugging into usb. on second try it came on , and I have now connected it to a wall outlet. Give it another shot....

Rev Rudy Hugo

0 Likes
ladyd0209
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Same issue here and spent hours on phone and they act like they never heard of this issue.   Supposed to be replacing but no real confirmation has come via email.  I'll try changing the charging to laptop versus wall but i know i tried it once already but maybe didn't leave it plugged into pc looking enough.

0 Likes
ladyd0209
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

ok i plugged the 360 into the computer with original cord...for a while, each port.  Nothing.  So I thought ok I can try 1 more thing...I plugged in a multi USB socket into the wall and plugged into that and THE LIGHT CAME ON!  Power on it states 100-240V-50/60Hz 800mA (max).  Output - 4.9A (max).  Super charger:  5V-2.4A (max).

It must have something to do with the power of usb port or charger.  Not going to get too attached to this 360 in case they do actually send a new one.

0 Likes
userW2DekzTcHm
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I have the same problem with mine, I will try a different charger/laptop and report back

0 Likes
userHdIqcpdh13
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I was having the same problem as everyone else: no light indicating that the gear 360 was charging. Well I started reading the forum and read your post about trying a multi USB. It worked. Thanks for the advice!

userQwoL4cbJ3x
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
Got mine to work by inserting a memory card
0 Likes
userQVXHsvKskS
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I had the same issue. Got mine through the Note 8 promotion. 

Tried 4 different chargers and plugged it into everything from my desktop to my laptop to the USB port on my television and my battery power bank. No luck with any of them.

Never even got a charging indicator light.

I ended up throwing in the towel and calling Samsung.

For those of you like me who went through the Note 7 fiasco, I'm sure you will be all too familiar with how this goes. The people on the phone have no idea what's going on with these and by now I am sure they have been receiving a number of calls about this issue. Be prepared to get transferred from department to department with people insisting that it is the responsibility of a different department. I don't necessarily blame the people at the call center, I know they don't receive a lot of training on these issues. I just find it interesting that there is no workflow for dealing with promotions that are defective.

Regardless, after bouncing between tech support and promotions three times, it ended up being promotions where I was able to get it escalated and they accepted it as a return after confirming that I was able to troubleshoot the device with tech support.

In the end, I was told to keep an eye out for an email with return instructions and a label. They gave me up to a 48-hour window for that, but mentioned something about four to six weeks possibly to actually replace the item. Now, I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but after receiving this pretty quickly when my Note 8 promotion was cashed in, I was looking forward to using this. In 6 weeks the fall will have set in and I probably won't be getting much for nature shots. 

C'est la vie I suppose. 

0 Likes
Warlord
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I was able to charge it from my Note 8 using the OTG adapter.   I  am assuming that the batteries on the Gear 360s are in a very low state of charge.  Once charged for a few minutes I was able to switch to a regular wall charger.  Hope this helps...

useryeMvysV2k4
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I have been waiting over a week now for the return label for my DOA  360 camera.  I called Samsung earlier this week and was told 48hrs can be up to 6 working days.... NOT impressed with Samsung customer service