JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Gear Fit 2 - How can I see kilojoules instead of calories?

(Topic created: 12-21-2017 05:12 PM)
userBPnlcbDwmj
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

In Australia all of our food is labelled in kilojoules, not caloies.

How can I set my Fit 2 to display in KJs?

Thanks.

8 Replies
SamsungViv
Honored Contributor
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hello there, @userBPnlcbDwmj. We're glad you reached out here with your concern.
The kilojoule is very specific to Australia when it comes to this use. Sadly, as such, there isn't a feature that auto converts from calories to kilojoules. There may be some other apps you can download that will either convert either way, or just starts out in kilojoules though. While I know this is a pain, at least you can always do a bit of math and convert this over: 1 Calorie = 4.2 kJs

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
Solution
userBPnlcbDwmj
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

I made a watchface for my Fit 2 the other day, so as a work around I'll see if I can display a new variable which is the calculation of (KCal * 4.18).

View solution in context

0 Likes
userX2yfzQWS7m
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Will you share this watch face. I too live in auAustral and struggle with the math.

0 Likes
userX2yfzQWS7m
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
Please will you share this watch face?
0 Likes
userZDh9UtygWJ
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hello,

I am sorry, but kilojoules are not "very specific to Australia". Kilojoules are SI units, as opposed to Calories, or rather kcal are not, and they have not been for almost fourty years. The whole of the world (with the exception of the USA) use SI units.

To recommend doing the maths in my head is a workaround when I have a whopping great CPU on my wrist which could do it for me is just a blatant excuse.

So, basically, you are saying, I cannot get my device to display proper units because Samsung is too lazy to implement SI units, which, for me, sadly is a reason to send it back (which I will do).

user9xMeSvFl0D
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Well said userZDh9UtygWJ   

The joule (J) is the international standard unit of energy, used by even USA scientists and everyone else in the world. One kilowatt (kW) is exactly equal to one kilojoule per second (kJ/s).

It's time to use real units and ditch the old dumb ones.     

usersAdiBfaGPU
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I really wish I had known this before I got my watch. I stupidly thought it would be an option on the watch. I wish I could take my phone and watch back and swap to Apple now. Yes this is enough of a reason to swap back. Also, this was asked in Feb 2017 - It's now 2019, UP YOUR GAME SAMSUNG! 

userro5U5LIFcm
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I cannot believe that a SAMSUNG REPRESENTATIVE would post such an arrogant response. I am from South Africa, and like Australia (and the rest of the world), we use scientific SI measurements. To suggest we do maths in our head as a workaround is childish and flippant.

It's 3 years later now, and still nothing has been done about this.