Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userJbs2jyMkKN
Asteroid

Gear S Plugin has stopped

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung S7 Edge  - Android ver 7.0,

Samsung Gear S2 Classic - Tizen 2.3.2.7

All worked well until Gear S plugin was updated to ver 2.2.03.18041051 approx 2 weeks ago.

Since then Gear S Plugin keeps crashing. 

This causes phone to be non-responsive whilst the crash is processed.

It also causes the S2 to consume battery very quickly, now in 6-8 hours, previously the battery would last  60+ hours

I have uninstalled Gear S Plugin.  Re-paired the S2 watch with the phone, which caused a light reset on the S2.

(And I lost a lot of watch faces)

This re-pairing also re-instaled the Gear S Plugin. (At least it is back and I did not manually install it)

However no difference.  Still crashes.

So now I run the S2 in flight mode most of the time.

This has prevented Gear S Plugin crashes on the phone and stopped the high battery usage on the S2.

When I ocassionally exit flight mode to allow the phone and S2 to exchange data, the problem quickly re-occurs.

I have checked permissions on Gear S Plugin - all looks ok.

Anyone have any ideas?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userJbs2jyMkKN
Asteroid

Re: Gear S Plugin has stopped

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I believe I have fixed my issue.

I saw another post that suggested clearing cache.

Leave S2 in Flight Mode.

In Settings -> Apps -> Gear S Plugin ->

Force Stop

..Storage -> Clear Cache (I did NOT do Clear Data)

In Settings -> Apps -> Samsung Gear ->

Force Stop

Then on the S2 select "Connect to new phone"

This caused a Light Reset on the S2 Watch

Then the process for re-connecting and settings

After that I have not experienced any further issues with "Gear S Plugin has stopped"

Maybe my steps were excessive.  Perhaps just "Clear Cache" on the 2 apps would be sufficient??

Good luck for any others with similar experiences.

9 REPLIES 9
Spam14
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I did exactly what you did also and same things. I have the same phone but gear s2 sport.  However, my gear s2 does not drain battery fast. Annoyed that the crashing stalls my phone. Any help would be great.

user3jou8UwtBS
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have Galaxy 7 Edge and the Gear S3 Frontier.  Mine started the same thing with the update. I’ve lost everything I paid for trying to reset this thing.  Research shows that people have been having the same problem since 2015 which makes me pretty livid.  I’ve only had my watch a few months and now I don’t even want it.

userJbs2jyMkKN
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I believe I have fixed my issue.

I saw another post that suggested clearing cache.

Leave S2 in Flight Mode.

In Settings -> Apps -> Gear S Plugin ->

Force Stop

In Settings -> Apps -> Samsung Gear ->

Force Stop

Then on the S2 select "Connect to new phone"

This caused a Light Reset on the S2 Watch

Then the process for re-connecting and settings

After that I have not experienced any further issues with "Gear S Plugin has stopped"

Maybe my steps were excessive.  Perhaps just "Clear Cache" on the 2 apps would be sufficient??

Good luck for any others with similar experiences.

userJbs2jyMkKN
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Actually it wasn't a complete fix after all.

The "Gear S Plugin has stopped" message was occuring every 2-3 minutes for me.

The actions listed have not been a complete fix, but has reduced the occurrance to 5-6 times per day.

This is still a major improvement - and the S2 is now useable again.

But I guess I now have to wait for Samsung to release an update to something for it to get any better.

userJbs2jyMkKN
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

1 week ago Samsung released a software updated for the S2.

This has completely stopped the problem occurring.

So now all good again.

Thanks Samsung.

userKecikIXaZH
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had to actually do all that AND turn off access to storage for both the Wear and the Gear S Plugin to get this *&^ thing to work. 

Highlighted
Geoghs
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/how-to-fix-bluetooth-issues-oreo-t3776495#post7720...

From XDA forums:

While i was trying several things i stumbled upon an option on Smarthings which is called "Visible to Devices" and allows other devices to find your phone using BT LE scanning which for an unknown reason was disabled. 

Open Smarthings -> tap to the three dots in the upper right corner -> Settings --> Visible to devices -> Turn it on.

This fixed the problem for me (finally)! 

Vienisas
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have same problem with samsung galaxy 7 .  To fix it go to settings,  general management,  reset, reset setings. After that gear start working

user6HprEtYaN0
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Just happened to me, after the Galaxy Wear app prompted for an update. This downloaded and installed a new version of the Gear S Plugin, which couldn't start. Note: The following steps will reset the watch, so make sure you have a backup. The solution was to downgrade Gear S Plugin to the previous version: 1. Uninstall Gear S Plugin from your phone and force close the Galaxy Wear app 2. Go to APK Mirror and download and install the previous version. The latest one, which was downloaded automatically by the update was 2.2.03.19022841N (March 12, 2019). I downgraded to 2.2.03.19010761 (January 22, 2019). https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/gear-s-plugin/ 3. Put the phone into airplane mode. This will prevent the Galaxy Wear app to download the latest version again. 4. Fire up Galaxy Wear, which will start the sync process again with the watch. 5. After this, you should have a working setup.