JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Gear S3 Classic: Sudden Battery Drain

(Topic created: 10-17-2018 10:49 AM)
userKFvG0X4pqj
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I've had my Gear S3 Classic since sometime around last summer (so not even a year now, bought it new), and prior to a few days ago it had pretty good batter life. I could get close to two days between charges. As of yesterday however, this is no longer the case. By 1 PM it was at about 60%. I generally only put about 7K steps/15-20 flights of stairs a day on it a day, and 60% is something that I am used to seeing close to bedtime, not right after lunch. Today I've been confined to my desk most of the day and currently only have about 2K steps/10 flights of stairs, and the battery is sitting at 48%. I've restarted the watch several times and it is still draining battery at 3-4 times the rate that it was.

Anyone else seeing an issue like this?

530 Replies
ScottyB
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

all of a sudden sincce 10/15/18 both phone and s3 frontier insane battery drain.

turned off almost all monitoring features between watch and galaxy s7 and little difference.

userXrTEDckG1z
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Same Issue. Have had the watch since Xmas 2017 and been consistently getting 3+ days of batter life, and now I can't even make it through a Joke.

Samsung, this isn't something where you'll 'put out a fix in a couple weeks'. This needed to be solved yesterday. Half your customers are running around with 300$+ dollars on their wrist that are pretty much useless at the moment. It's bad customer service and even worse advertising.

0 Likes
Austinch
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Same issue. Bought in June. Started having trouble on Monday with battery not holding a charge for more than a couple of hours.

0 Likes
useryuqq07j4iR
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Mine started Monday as well.  I have it in power saver mode.  A full charge will hold me all day (I've turned off almost all notifications.)  I went to bed with 90% battery and woke up with 20%.  I don't understand what they've done to them.  I charged it today to 92% (had to leave) and 2.5 hours later, it's still at 92%.  I don't know what's going on while I'm asleep to cause the huge drain!

0 Likes
userfrCeRBnFHe
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I had a sudden battery drain beginning either Sunday night or Monday morning and was reviewing this thread yesterday for answers.  The only thing I could tell that had happed with my phone is that I recieved a notification from "Samsung themes" and installed a new Halloween theme on my phone on Sunday.  I disabled the notifications the Samsung themes last night from my phone (Samsung Galaxy s7 edge) and that seemed to do the trick.  No more sudden battery drain and my Gear s3 watch appears to be back to normal.

0 Likes
userY2ND9fBMc8
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
got same battery drain issue on my less than year old samsung gear s3 frontier and the issue started on Monday (10/15/2018). it usually lasts me at least 2 full days and now less than 24 hours. SAMSUNG should address the issue ASAP.
0 Likes
userfrCeRBnFHe
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I had this sudden power drain on my S3 classic beginning either Sunday night or Monday morning.  I was on this thread trying to find out what was happening yesterday without luck.  The only thing I was aware of that changed on my phone was I received a notification for "Samsung themes" on Sunday and I downloaded a new Halloween theme for my phone.  Last night I checked my phone and saw that this Samsung Themes was sending notifications to my S3.  I turned off the notifications to my Gear through my phone (a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) and that appears to resolved the problem.  I charged it overnight and no battery drain issues today. 

0 Likes
usernISK5o37Dw
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hi

I just got this issue yesterday, out of nowhere.

No apps, watchfaces or anything custom installed.

Battery went from full to 0 in 10-15 hours max.

My backlight was turned all the way down to conserve power.

Today I tried turning backlight up a bit, to 5.

Since then, battery use has been normal. 

With normal I mean 2% per 3 hours.

This is the only thing I've tried to resolve this issue. All settings are as per default.

Not saying this is valid solution for everyone, but at least it seemed to work here.

Might be a problem with the auto light sensor when backlight is set to 1..

I'm in Norway btw, same firmware as the rest of you.

0 Likes
usertKOfltZ8KB
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
Gear Sport with the same issue: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/wearabletech/highlight/false...

Still Samsug doesn't acknowledge the issue and asks the people reaching support to send the watch to Sammy service 🀣🀣🀣 like all of the sudden, 50-100 Samsung watches went nuts....it's a SW issue with the Gear Wearable app Sammy, fix it please πŸ€“
0 Likes
userLoiArq0ZD6
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
I did the reset as support suggested and also disabled auto heart rate reading as someone else suggested here.
Used up 3% in 2 hours so far, which is normal. Will be keeping an eye on it.
0 Likes