JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Gear S3 Classic: Sudden Battery Drain

(Topic created: 10-18-2018 03:33 AM)
userKFvG0X4pqj
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I've had my Gear S3 Classic since sometime around last summer (so not even a year now, bought it new), and prior to a few days ago it had pretty good batter life. I could get close to two days between charges. As of yesterday however, this is no longer the case. By 1 PM it was at about 60%. I generally only put about 7K steps/15-20 flights of stairs a day on it a day, and 60% is something that I am used to seeing close to bedtime, not right after lunch. Today I've been confined to my desk most of the day and currently only have about 2K steps/10 flights of stairs, and the battery is sitting at 48%. I've restarted the watch several times and it is still draining battery at 3-4 times the rate that it was.

Anyone else seeing an issue like this?

530 Replies
Alpha78
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Same issue happened to many of us using the Gear Sport. Reposting my findings from the other thread.

After 2 days of fiddling around, here are some facts I have established:

1. Fast battery drain happens both during night and day.

2. In the Gear Wearable app, the top battery consumer was Samsung Health.

3. On the phone, com.Samsung.accessory.service had abnormally high battery usage.

4. Gear S plug-in was recently updated on Google Play a couple of days ago.

5. [Almost certain] This issue is happening only to users with Android phones. Did not hear of this problem with 2 others with Gear S3 paired with iPhones.

Resolution:

After uninstalling the Gear S plug-in, side loading the older version, having to reset the watch and reinstall everything, battery drain is now better. 4% drop after 2 hours.

Do backup the watch settings before doing this.

Apk below:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/gear-s-plugin/gear-s-plugin-2-2-03-18071151...

Hope this helps. 
0 Likes
userlzNw3VUOYp
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
When installing older Gear-app, it will not start unless I update... Man, this is annoying.
0 Likes
usertKOfltZ8KB
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

This fix worked for me:

1. hard reset my watch

2. cleared cache and clear data for both Gear Wearable app and Gear Plugin S app

3. uninstalled both apps

4. install Gear Wearable app from Galaxy Apps

5. Gear Plugin install an old version from September 2.2.03.18083041N (https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/gear-s-plugin/gear-s-plugin-2-2-03-18083041...)

6. When I start the pairing process, Galaxy Wearable app popped a message saying it needs to update and the update was actually carried to the Gear S Plugin 

result should be :

1. Galaxy Wearable from Galaxy Apps: 2.2.21.18080361
2. Gear S Plugin : 2.2.03.18083051

After 2.5 hours of both phone and watch usage, no drain at all, to me it looks like is fixed

0 Likes
userLoiArq0ZD6
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
The reset and disabling the heart rate monitor have not helped and the watch lost all charge within 17 hrs, majority overnight. Customer service told me to ship it for eval/repair. I'm still under warranty, so it's free
0 Likes
usery5Gj6C4ybW
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
Something strange happened to my watch. I charged it this morning and used for couple of hours. Battery still shows 100% after I forced closed Samsung Health App. I think this app is thre main trouble here. Either something is wrong with the battery display or my battery suddenly got an upgrade.
0 Likes
forty-seven
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
I was having similar but in my case watch shows 78% then after 15 min 80% 🙂
0 Likes
userMCowkVtB4R
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

This worked perfectly for me.

I then tentatively updated apps after this (6 updates in total offered) avoiding Samsung Health which originally seemd to coincide with this / cause this  issue.

So far no problems.

Gone from totally discharging in 8 hours to "normal" (100% to 98%) in sleeo period of 5 hours.

Thank you.

0 Likes
userxiUcuC66IF
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Same problem for me.

started earlier this week, gear on charge over night, woke in the night with a green full charge indicator on the charger so removed the gear from charge. woke in the morning a few hours later, put the watch on to go to work and noticed it was already down to about 80%, thought it was just me going mad! iI have had good battery life until now, a short charge in the mornings whilst in the shower and having breakfast would keep the watch going for well over a week between needing a long charge and that was including wearing it in the gym.

now thw watch drains really quick, at first the watch was low by the end of the day about 15-20%, yesterday the watch was charged in the evening before, worn during the night topped up in the morning as usual and was practically dead by the time i got home, the watch indicated 18Hrs since that full charge.

i have tried reseting the gear and removing any additional watch faces and apps.

i have removed and reinstalled gear wearable and s-health apps and have reinstalled from google play.

Thought this might had worked as before going to bed the watch had used about 2% in 2.5 hrs which is about normal. Woke this morning after 8hrs sleep to 38%.

today i have disconnect the watch from my phone and have disabled all wfi and bluetooth connects just to see what the watch does in isolation from the phone. Makes it pointless as a smart watch however.

where can you download an old version of the gear wearable app.

Disappointed as until now i was happy with the watch and my S8. will be thinking of alternatives next time unless things are resolved soon.

0 Likes
userEJI6ZEbOAV
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Really appreciate the great community and you guys that come with workarounds, but this must be addressed officially by SAMSUNG.

I mean, we have Gear S3 from SAMSUNG not an refurbished no-name gadget.
So, the question is why isn’t anybody from SAMSUNG come in front and say: “we know the problem and we are working on it” ……..?

0 Likes
userLAfFLuuBtq
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

They have, they have commented on this forum several times, they know the problem and they are working on it, people just don't see that part, and I get it, I'm frustrated too.

0 Likes