cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userKFvG0X4pqj
Constellation

Gear S3 Classic: Sudden Battery Drain

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've had my Gear S3 Classic since sometime around last summer (so not even a year now, bought it new), and prior to a few days ago it had pretty good batter life. I could get close to two days between charges. As of yesterday however, this is no longer the case. By 1 PM it was at about 60%. I generally only put about 7K steps/15-20 flights of stairs a day on it a day, and 60% is something that I am used to seeing close to bedtime, not right after lunch. Today I've been confined to my desk most of the day and currently only have about 2K steps/10 flights of stairs, and the battery is sitting at 48%. I've restarted the watch several times and it is still draining battery at 3-4 times the rate that it was.

Anyone else seeing an issue like this?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userKFvG0X4pqj
Constellation

Re: Gear S3 Classic: Sudden Battery Drain

JUMP TO SOLUTION

After a lot of hoop jumping I think that things are all good: I power cycled it a few times but battery was still draining, so I uninstalled every custom watch face that was installed to it, along with every app that I had added. I then turned it off and left it off for something like 10-15 minutes. After it connected with my phone there was a notification on the phone about an update (but when I manually checked previously, it kept saying that the Gear software was up to date). When I selected it, it took me to the Gear software and a "What's new with this update" type screen. The battery seems to be back to normal. However, when I went to check the software version, it is still showing as being R770XXU2CQL1 (which is what it was showing prior to all of this) So I'm guessing that somehow, some step of an update wasn't showing as making it to the final/complete stage... or something like that, and for reasons unknown ~48 hours prior, this situation resulted in some process spinning because the update wasn't fully registering as "complete" somewhere... I dunno. Software is weird.

522 REPLIES 522
Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

you Good afternoon @userKFvG0X4pqj

I am sorry to hear about the trouble with your Gear S3. Have you checked to ensure that all the apps that use that device have been fully updates, after you performed the firmware update? Does it appear that any are running in the background more than they used to?

userDjjSTKvYDO
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, Im having the same problem!

Have you checked to ensure that all the apps that use that device have been fully updates :yes, after you performed the firmware update? yes Does it appear that any are running in the background more than they used to? no

userbDqwt11C1H
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hi help with your battery drain. Go to the phone settings then click on apps then down to gear s plugin click on storage and clear data. That will sort it out. A. Harvey
userqxQMnDBG78
Asteroid

Re: Gear S3 Frontier Sudden Battery Drain

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My watch seems do be fine since yesterday. Y reseted my watch but didn't update any apps (it normally asks to update a couple of apps after resetting like  weather and health) I didn't do anything else, and the watch has been fine since - THIS ISN'T A SOLUTION though, it seems a an update on the health app is the problem. Today I'm updating all watch apps to see if the problem returns.

RobLobster
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My watch started doing this earlier this week. I find that it doesn't do it when I have the Bluetooth off. I just turn it on a couple times a day to sync with the health app, and during that time about 5% will drain from my battery but after I turn the BT off it doesn't drain quickly. And this was after I performed a full reset. That did not help at all.

userbprddJwr9o
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I had the same problem. It appeared after latest app. updates. I reset the gear and eveything got fine. It seems it is related to one of the app. updates (Health ?)
DSh
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did you notice when this drain apeared? Was it right after installing the latest 4004 Tisen upgrade? My S3 was working perfectly for couple days with no issues. After installing a new firmware the drain was from 12% per hour and much more. I guess the new upgrade doesn't turn the screen completely off, that's why it drains the battery while it pretends to be off. The lightning on the screen while it charges is nonsense, it started charging significantly longer after that. After all that I'm curious if Samsung did that on purpose tokill as more S3 as possible to make us buy a newer version. Interesting practice if so...

usershHWGM0aRK
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same concerns about Samsung doing those things as well. What I did with my watch, after a few weeks and lots of struggling (reset, factory rest, delete wearables app and reinstalled etc....) I deleted ALL watch faces that I could through the wearables app, then deleted all 3rd party apps using the watch face. I will only put a minus sign on the apps you're allowed to delete. Then I turned off the watch for 15 minutes. When I turned it on, the battery indicator in the wearables app that told me 3 hours time left, was now 1 day, 10 hours and 41 mins. Ran it that way for 2 hours. Battery went down 4% time is still 1 day 10 hours but fewer minutes. Hope I'm finally on the right track. I just installed another watch face add I didn't care for the generic one that was left over. Keeping the fingers crossed. 

Highlighted
user0YjDD2mQWP
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Then you don't get your notifications and phone calls.  What is the point of the smart watch then.