cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userNIbjnPgOj3
Constellation

Re: Gear S3 Classic: Sudden Battery Drain

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same random battery drain problem.... It can work fine for a week and then suddently it drain 70% when I sleep (6 hours).

I did send it in for repair, they just updated the watch (and deleted everything) and it did not help at all.

This was my first Samsung product (and my last).

Back to Apple.

Michael

Denmark

userZmh2c4DELU
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Install plugin 2.2.03.18101561 from mirror site and problem is solved. Back to 2-3 days of battery life.

usery3O72KNWEG
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userZmh2c4DELU wrote:

Install plugin 2.2.03.18101561 from mirror site and problem is solved. Back to 2-3 days of battery life.

Hi could you give more info on this plugin and where to get it as I need to try something to get back to more than 1 day (Or less) battery before this problem first started?

Thanks

usery3O72KNWEG
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@usery3O72KNWEG wrote:

@userZmh2c4DELU wrote:

Hi could you give more info on this plugin and where to get it as I need to try something to get back to more than 1 day (Or less) battery before this problem first started?

Thanks

Hi @userZmh2c4DELU

Ignore my last comment. Found and installed the update you mentioned (I was on 2.2.03.18083051) and after nearly 2 hours I have used 1% battery. You sir are a genius.

Thank you so much.

userZmh2c4DELU
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Nice to hear
uservnpgyk9FMX
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

And one other potential fix for folks to try. 

My Gear Sport did the same thing a few months ago, and after trying several things for several days, it eventually went back to normal, though I don't know what actually ended up fixing it.  Everything was great until last weekend (Dec. 1) when the battery started draining to zero before I even got home from work.  I tried pretty much everything except the plugin (I'm still on 2.2.03.18083051), but ended up finding a solution that worked for me.  

It did seem to run normally when I turned off bluetooth, but then it isn't really a smart watch at that point.  The battery always drains fast whenever I'm out of bluetooth range of my phone, much the same way my phone's battery drains rapidly when I'm in an area of weak or no signal.  So I thought maybe there was an issue with my bluetooth connection.  I turned off my phone's bluetooth (Galaxy S9+), unpaired everything from the phone, cleared the cache partition on the phone, cleared the cache and data from the bluetooth app on the phone, turned bluetooth back on (phone and watch) and then paired them again.  My Gear Sport battery is back to normal (it's been 5 days since).  I did pair all my other bluetooth devices slowly one at a time in case something triggered the same problem.  But so far, so good. 

I was having issues with my August Smart Lock connecting with my phone as well, so I figure that was either a symptom of the same problem, or the cause of the problem (though that started much earlier than my watch issues).  So I also cleared the cache and data from that app and deleted it.  While I have since reinstalled, reconnected the lock, and set it back up, I haven't used it since.   That will be the last test, I guess.  

Omahawk
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@uservnpgyk9FMX wrote:

And one other potential fix for folks to try. 

My Gear Sport did the same thing a few months ago, and after trying several things for several days, it eventually went back to normal, though I don't know what actually ended up fixing it.  Everything was great until last weekend (Dec. 1) when the battery started draining to zero before I even got home from work.  I tried pretty much everything except the plugin (I'm still on 2.2.03.18083051), but ended up finding a solution that worked for me.  

It did seem to run normally when I turned off bluetooth, but then it isn't really a smart watch at that point.  The battery always drains fast whenever I'm out of bluetooth range of my phone, much the same way my phone's battery drains rapidly when I'm in an area of weak or no signal.  So I thought maybe there was an issue with my bluetooth connection.  I turned off my phone's bluetooth (Galaxy S9+), unpaired everything from the phone, cleared the cache partition on the phone, cleared the cache and data from the bluetooth app on the phone, turned bluetooth back on (phone and watch) and then paired them again.  My Gear Sport battery is back to normal (it's been 5 days since).  I did pair all my other bluetooth devices slowly one at a time in case something triggered the same problem.  But so far, so good. 

I was having issues with my August Smart Lock connecting with my phone as well, so I figure that was either a symptom of the same problem, or the cause of the problem (though that started much earlier than my watch issues).  So I also cleared the cache and data from that app and deleted it.  While I have since reinstalled, reconnected the lock, and set it back up, I haven't used it since.   That will be the last test, I guess.  

You didn't have to change or fix anything. On October 14th, 2018 Samsung made a silent change/update on their side that caused all Gear S3 and Gear Sport to constantly communicate with your connected phone. This causes the battery to discharge very quickly. It will also drain your phone battery faster as well, but not a noticeable because it has a much larger capacity.

Samsung either rolled back the update or pushed out a patch later that week on the 18th or 19th. Made no acknowledgment or notice that they fixed the problem they caused.

The only three solutions that they gave were as follows:

1. Reset your watch

2. Turn off Report Diagnostics on the watch

3. Send in the watch for warranty repair

They were asking everyone that was having the issue to send their watch in. 

uservnpgyk9FMX
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Except I didn't have any issues in October. This started December 1 for me.
userQL9rsi4PQ4
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is such a joke - I've got a brand new s3 classic... was good until I'm sure it did its own update and now even with a re-set 18-20hrs reg then have to go to saver mode. 

Efe
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userQL9rsi4PQ4 wrote:

This is such a joke - I've got a brand new s3 classic... was good until I'm sure it did its own update and now even with a re-set 18-20hrs reg then have to go to saver mode. 

Hello @userQL9rsi4PQ4. What is the software version of the watch now? And have you tried cleaning the Bluetooth cash of you're using an android device? Some say it worked. I haven't tried yet Tho.