cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
unchainedtig
Asteroid

Gear S3 Frontier - Extreme Battery Drain

Within the past few days my Gear S3 has been experiencing extreme battery drain.  Like 80% in two hours.  I have the location off.  I use the Active Classic watch face.  I hardly have any widgets at all.  I think the watch is only a couple years old.  This is really annoying.  I've read some posts that shows users spending hours monkeying around trying to fix this issue.  I say as consumer who paid good money for this device.  Who has time for all that?  I don't.  Any suggestion by anyone experiencing this issue recently?  Samsung Please Advise.

10 REPLIES 10
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Gear S3 Frontier - Extreme Battery Drain

This article contains information that can affect the battery life and some tips on extending the battery life of your watch. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01003232

unchainedtig
Asteroid

My issue was temporarily resolved with a android software update that was released a couple days after I reported my issue.  Another software update was installed today and now I have the same problem.  My battery only lasted about 3 hours.  This needs to stop with the updates destroying my battery life.  Either that or Samsung should issue free watch upgrades to everyone that is affected by these software updates.

Please advise on resolving this.  Please don't give me the canned solution link again.  That did not solve the problem.

userEJFWOXCEk4
Constellation

My S3 started doing the same thing last week after the au...

My S3 started doing the same thing last week after the auto update .. from 2-3 days now 5-6 hrs ... my Note 8 also did an Auto update and lost some settings and now undesirable AD activities that occur as well as battery drain.

Samsung_08Ps5N1
Astronaut

I had the same problem with my Frontier after 2 years of...

I had the same problem with my Frontier after 2 years of use. I had come to the conclusion that the battery had gone south and it was just time. After reading horror stories of people getting their batteries replaced, I opted to purchase the new Galaxy Gear (plus...I really wanted it! 😉). The decision ended being a good one as I've have the watch on my wrist all day (14 hours) and commonly see around 90 to 93% remaining battery. I do not use the AOD. I do use a custom Watchmaker face with weather. I've had the watch about 5 months.

userOlJhfmBIk5
Astronaut

Re: I had the same problem with my Frontier after 2 years of...

Same problem, started around a month ago after owning the watch 18 months. I've tried every hint, tip and 'solution' I can find but nothing works. 10 minutes ago I went to the watch settings to go into watch only mode as the power had dropped to 49% after only a few hours. The watch immediately shut down, and after one abortive start where it got to the splash screen before shutting down again, it will not come on. For gods sake Samsung, sort it out. I won't be throwing away my hard earned cash on another

Samsung_5fhbqIo
Astronaut

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME LOL

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME LOL

userj0Kop9sOoY
Constellation

I've just returned from the local Samsung Experience store, on this exact issue. Not good news for us, I'm afraid. 

They ran full diagnostics and found no unusual draw on the battery from the watch. Meaning you can screw around with settings all you like, that isn't going to solve the problem.  We all know it happened after the Tizen 4 update, but if the diags don't show unusual drain, there are no settings you have to control it. Instead, here's what you have to do:

1. Call Samsung support

2. Refuse to speak to the agent who (finally) answers. Demand to be transferred to the ECR team (Executive Customer Relations). Be persistent, their script includes denying that such a team exists. Just keep demanding it. 

3. When you get ECR, yell and scream about how upset you are that your 18mos old watch can't hold a charge for more than 4 or 5 hour . Again, be persistent.

4. Demand ECR create a support ticket so you can have the watch battery replaced at your local Samsung Experience store. 

5. You may need to negotiate to pay just the parts or just the labor, depending on how convincingly you yell and scream.

6. Have the local store replace the watch battery. 

7. Remember to always buy the extended warranty on Samsung devices. It's one of the few brands where you may actually get your money's worth.

jporter75
Asteroid

So replacing the battery will actually fix this? How is it not just a software problem that will happen with a new battery as well? I never had great battery life, but could usually get around 12 hours or so on my S3, but after the update its anywhere from 2 to maybe 5 hours which has made it useless...

user2hYB4NcBZ8
Constellation

I'm having the same issue with my Gear S2.  It's been fine for two years, until about a week ago.  After about four hours, the battery will drop from about 90% to zero instantly.  The auto update was the only change.