cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JGordonson
Asteroid

Gear S3 Frontier Screen Digitizer broken under un-cracked Glass?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For the last week or so, my Gear S3 Frontier's digitizer has seemed to progressively go from perfectly fine, to occasionally haywire (blacks become green or orange?), to almost completely dead.

I can tell that the watch is on from the haptic feedback and some slivers of semi-functional display at the top of the screen, but it's now mostly black and I'm not sure what happened because I've been using the watch for almost a year now and the screen itself barely has any scratches, much less a solitary crack. It's hard to even take a picture of the issue, but I can try if my description isn't clear enough.

I like this watch, so some help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

Gear S3 Frontier Bluetooth

<edit>

Software version - R760XXU2ESF2/R760OXA2ESF2

Edit: Picture attempt in terrible lighting (and accidentally sideways):

20191025_161638.jpg

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Supernova

Re: Gear S3 Frontier Screen Digitizer broken under un-cracked Glass?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@JGordonson wrote:

For the last week or so, my Gear S3 Frontier's digitizer has seemed to progressively go from perfectly fine, to occasionally haywire (blacks become green or orange?), to almost completely dead.

I can tell that the watch is on from the haptic feedback and some slivers of semi-functional display at the top of the screen, but it's now mostly black and I'm not sure what happened because I've been using the watch for almost a year now and the screen itself barely has any scratches, much less a solitary crack. It's hard to even take a picture of the issue, but I can try if my description isn't clear enough.

Specs:

<edit>

20191025_161638.jpg

@JGordonson 

There is no crack in the digitizer itseft, right? 

If you still have a warranty contact Samsung tech support.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact/

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@JGordonson wrote:

Specs:

<edit>

20191025_161638.jpg

@JGordonson 

View solution in original post

JGordonson
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When I shine a light on the glass, I don't see any cracks so I'm going to say that digitizer isn't cracked as far as I can tell. My manufacturer warranty apparently expired on June 30th of this year, but I had only owned the device for about 7 months at that point and it was working perfectly fine, so I was hoping some customer service reps in the forums could provide me some assistance.

@Charkatak wrote:

@JGordonson wrote:

Specs:

<edit>

20191025_161638.jpg

@JGordonson 

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@JGordonson 

Oh...that is taugh one.  Maybe @SamsungRei can look into that

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@JGordonson The watch will need repairs. Will you please send a private message with the following information so I may see what options are available? http://bit.ly/2XERsky

Full name:

Complete physical address:

Contact phone number:

Alternate phone number:

Email address:

Place of purchase:

Full model code:

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

JGordonson
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungRei wrote:

@JGordonsonThe watch will need repairs. Will you please send a private message with the following information so I may see what options are available? http://bit.ly/2XERsky

Full name:

Contact phone number:

Alternate phone number:

Email address:

Place of purchase:

Full model code:

Thank you, but I actually ended up contacting Samsung Tech Support by phone as @Charkatak suggested and got a repair ticket created through that avenue. Apologies for not trying that route in the first place.

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@JGordonson wrote:

@SamsungRei wrote:

@JGordonsonThe watch will need repairs. Will you please send a private message with the following information so I may see what options are available? http://bit.ly/2XERsky

Full name:

Contact phone number:

Alternate phone number:

Email address:

Place of purchase:

Full model code:

Thank you, but I actually ended up contacting Samsung Tech Support by phone as @Charkatak suggested and got a repair ticket created through that avenue. Apologies for not trying that route in the first place.

@JGordonson 

Nice!  So your watch was without warranty or is in warranty?

JGordonson
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Charkatak 

Interestingly enough, the watch itself was out of warranty as of June 30th like I mentioned earlier, but the customer service rep gave me the chance to provide proof that I purchased it via eBay at the end of November last year, and claims that I'm able to get a free repair.

I'm slightly skeptical, however I indeed received a service ticket and shipping label without any mention of payment so the problem is seemingly solved in the best way possible.

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@JGordonson 

Interesting...I had similar experience with Google products.  I bought Pixel 2 on ebay which was about 6 months old and I do know this phone came with 2 years of manufacturers warranty.  So this phone still had 1.5y of warranty left.  I called Google to confirm and they told me yes, it is covered and its in their system(no need for receipt) Smiley Happy 

After that I bought an open box Pixel Buds on eBay as well and called in to see if it has warranty.  Google rep asked me where I bought it and asked for an image of bar code and serial #s.  After that I was given full 1 year of warranty.  This is the customer service I want to see from big companies!

Lets hope for a positive results!  

JGordonson
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Charkatak 

I completely agree, it's nice to spend large amounts on money on products and feel like every aspect of those products validate that decision. I haven't given them any payment information so my only fear is that I send it in and they hold my currently non-functional watch hostage once it arrives lol, but I'm optimistic.

Thank you for your help.