cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userey3R7nJjbi
Cosmic Ray

Re: Gear S3 Frontier Tizen 3.0 Battery Drain

It  all depends upon how many people are going to come forward and show that this issue is widespread and not a random occurence to a few.  Some days ago a Samsung mouthpiece was trying to insinuate that this is a rare and isolated occurence attributable to user's inability to use proper settings.  I can only speak for myself, as power of one, and say that the issue is real and of material consequence, entirely attributable to Samsung.

userWxp9X0AoKi
Cosmic Ray

Last Friday, I convinced a friend to let me borrow their brand new S3 before it was even set up. Knowing that if anything went wrong, they could return it, I immediately updated it to 3.0 and restored a backup I made of my S3 minutes earlier. So this watch was basically a clone of mine. The newly set up watch is getting around 30 hours of battery life with my configuration, which is admittedly a pig (AOD active, colorful watch face, tons of notifications, etc.). My own watch was getting 24-26 hours before the 3.0 update, but only 14-16 hours after. Seems pretty clear that something with the update process trashed the battery.

user1epmeOSe7L
Constellation

I updated my watch to tizen 3.0 couple days ago and it seems battery is draining fast compare to 2.4.  I also noticed that when the I place the watch on the charger after full battery drain and watch off.  The watch screen immediatly start charging from around 50% battery.  Did anyone saw this issue?  Wonder if tizen 3.0 is not calculating the battery usage correctly.

userwW38U3iuIO
Asteroid

Sorry to sound like a "me too"....

As a user of the S3 for the last 6 months, and a low end user (e.g. I have left most of the standard apps on there..as the watch does what I want in its original form). I don't use it for music, I read the occasional email and I check the time...thats about it.

I am a creature of habit, basically same routine, same time for recharging, no change in habits with usage of the watch.

Every Saturday or Sunday I turn the watch off completely to make sure no apps are still running (read crashed)

I have applied each patch as it has come out, and updated the standard apps.

Basically without fail, every morning (before the major upgrade) I put it on charge, it will show %67 - 71% battery as it commences its charge.

However since the Tizen 3.0 udpate, there is a considerable change in the charging/battery behaviour, as every morning when I put it on charge, the battery level reads 49%-52% and naturally the time I normally allow it to charge is no longer long enough.

With an IT background of 35+ years including software design, I know what to look for, I have a reasonable understanding of how things work (as it sounds like many others on this forum do)........

From the release notes, I think the main change that may impact battery life might be the frequency of the HR checks, so I might reduce this, but I don't expect it will much of a change.

I hope Samsung work out what this upgrade has done to the Gear s3.....its not perception, its a definite issue, and one that they need to solve.

Regards

Bob

Highlighted
userey3R7nJjbi
Cosmic Ray

Unfortunately HR is not the problem. I have mine turned off and the battery drain is 1.8 - 1.9 greater under otherwise identical circumstances.
Programatix
Asteroid

Same with everyone else, the battery drain is terrible. Usually it would only use about 3%-5% in "Don't disturb" mode from 11pm to 6am. Now it's more than 10%. Frankly speaking, my usual usage for 24 hours will be around 15%-20% but now it's around 40%-50%.
userA8TTCM7XeL
Constellation

Anyone try turning off Auto HR? Cant do it in Tizen 3. Could be the problem causing high battery usage.

userzErV7mPDfC
Asteroid

I'd say 40-50% for 24 hours is pretty **bleep** good compared to some of us. I couldn't get mine to get through a half a day at 89%. I wish I had your battery life.
userzErV7mPDfC
Asteroid

Gear S3 Frontier Tizen 3.0 Battery Drain

Here's the strange part about this for me. I was getting great battery life out of this watch until last night. I went to bed with it on so it could track my sleep with the battery at 80%. Yeah, 80%, after a whole day of use. When I woke up, it had turned off because the battery was dead. I put it on the charger and got it to 89% before I had to leave for the day. This was about 1:30. I put it into batery saving at about 10:00 with 7% left and it died at 11:30. As far as I can tell, no update was done unless it did it overnight with no notification. (not likely) What the heck to my watch?! This makes no sense at all.
userWAyiFESCED
Constellation