cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userey3R7nJjbi
Cosmic Ray

Re: Gear S3 Frontier Tizen 3.0 Battery Drain

There is no admission from Samsung that there is anything wrong with Tizen 3.0 - Gear S3 - Battery Drain.  However, as indicated above, they ran out of repair parts and offer refunds (good luck with that).  Isn't odd that the watch works just great but they cannot keep up with the returns for repair.  Hmm!!!!!!! why am I so wrong in assuming that Samsung is not taking responsibility?  Anyone still buying any of their products?

JDee
Asteroid

Having the same problem as everyone else since Tizen 3 update, I feel insulted by Samsung Australia having taken my watch in, explaining the situation, and an outcome of "no fault found". Watch wasn't even with Samsung for 24 hours before I received the message to come collect the watch.
The problem is ALL over the net yet doesn't seem to be taken serious by Samsung.
Absolutely appalled at this.
HTS
Asteroid

After most recent Tizen 3.0 update (just a few days ago) battery life went from 2+ days to barely 8 hours.  I noticed that my Samsung S8+ was also draining unusually faster than usual (although the battery indicator could not identify a possible source of the problem).

This morning I noticed that the Gear bluetooth connection was not being made with the phone, in fact bluetooth would attempt the connection and then turn itself off.  

Although my watch fully drained faster even in StandBy mode (8- 10 hours) understanding that cell phones drain faster when looking for a carrier connection (when none is avaialble) I wondered if perhaps the battery drain on watch was related.

I did not do a backup and restore nor did I perform a factory reset that I know of but I did select to Connect my Gear to a new device (which erases stored info on watch and must perform some sort of reset).

The watch appears to be working better now and I will update this post in a few day whether or not it did the trick.

userhCspO7QzaG
Constellation

I switched to manual updates for this reason, however when the updates are for phone applications, the older versions no longer function.  Forcing updates that decrease your functionality is a horrible thing to do to your customers.

Samsung should be providing us with a list of functions that can be controlled within the watch settings to control this drain.  I have a lot turned off, just to get through the day now...

Marcovanbasten
Astronaut

I charged mine again yesterday and from 100% last night at 7pm UK time to now 24 hrs 45 minutes later is at 23%.

Not very happy at all, got so many features turned off and yet at this rate am only getting a day and a half at best.

CharanK
Constellation

I am facing battery overheating problem with 2 week old Gear S3. Don't know why are they selling such faulty products?
Landmark65
Constellation

Update, after 2 new battery replacements within 2 weeks, Samsung Repair replaced the motherboard.  Not sure if they also replaced the battery for the third time?  The 2nd new battery on first day back on my wrist was a ridiculous 5 hours before the watch died.  With the new motherboard, it also didn't have Tizen 3.0 (thank goodness).   Only thing is the watch started to auto update the software.  I noticed and set autoupdate to OFF.  So far it's only losing 1.7% per hour.  At that rate, the watch should last 2 days and that is heaps better than 5 hours.  Now I do get regular prompts asking me to update the software to Tizen 3.0 (which I am selecting NO).  Hopefully, I can maintain 2 days battery life.

Carlos_7538
Galaxy

Here's why,

1. They want to be the first to release this watch model and function

2. They offshore integration design and test to reduce costs

3. They release a product that is limited in it's functions and abilities with the intention of improving it during the lifecycle - problem is that point 2. causes issues.

4. Insufficient integration test to weed out the issues

5. They engineer the support interface to make it look like they care with lots of we care canned responses that mean absolutely nothing.

6. If they really cared they'd put their hands up, admit there is a problem , give a deadline to get the issue resolved and get it fixed and properly tested and released.

Instead you have to wade through bull5hit to get anything done.

Samsung deserve to fail,  I strongly suggest that you all consider exercising your consumer rights and get a refund,  this will completely change Samsung's focus on the problem and we can all move on.

user5MerOhXQLo
Constellation

I was having horrible problems with the battery.  It would charge to 94% then by the time I woke up in the morning it would be 82% still on the charger.  I just swapped mine out with the warranty.  I have not updated the watch sine I got the new one and I'm not going to either.

Kalibr
Constellation

Well, I got my S3 back from the repair facility after about 3 weeks and it is working perfectly once again. Battery uasage is back to 30-35% per 10-hour days ( as it was pre-Tizen 3.0) with AOD and many other features enabled. The repair statement shows that the battery was replaced. So, this leads me to think  that the Tizen 3.0 update causes the battery in some watches to overheat and become degraded to the point where it does not hold a ful charge. 

I suggest that anyone having this issue contact Samsung to have their watch serviced. Mine was past its warranty by a month and it was still accepted. Although this whole ordeal was very frustrating, my faith in Samsung has been restored.