cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userhpP5eW1wwG
Constellation

Re: Gear S3 Frontier Tizen 3.0 Battery Drain

Hi, I just bought the Gear S3 Frontier and found this thread. Smiley Happy . By default the watch already came with Tizen 3.0.1, I think (or at least I didn't do any update manually).  

My phone was away from the room so probably disconnected from the watch.  The watch has no e-SIM, WIFI was off, BT on, GPS off.  I charged it to full, and overnight from 1 am to 8 am, it drained about 10%.  

Is that normal?

userhpP5eW1wwG
Constellation

Update: from 8 am at 90%, my current battery life at 6 pm sits at 44%.   So roughly 46% in 10 hours.  Not exactly the 2-3 days battery life as promised.  D@mn.

Carlos_7538
Galaxy

@userhpP5eW1wwGwrote:

Update: from 8 am at 90%, my current battery life at 6 pm sits at 44%.   So roughly 46% in 10 hours.  Not exactly the 2-3 days battery life as promised.  D@mn.

What was the watch doing during this time?

userQLzBWi65Mx
Constellation

My watch after 11 hours only drop only drop 31%

[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://s17.postimg.org/xmz33a6f3/Screenshot_20180323-213308.jpg[/img][...]

I am also on tizen 3.0.0.1

With continuous eart beat turn on.

Carlos_7538
Galaxy

And your watch is how old?
userQLzBWi65Mx
Constellation

Since august last year 

userhpP5eW1wwG
Constellation

@Carlos_7538wrote:

@userhpP5eW1wwGwrote:

What was the watch doing during this time?

What I have turned on: BT to phone, no wifi, no GPS, no eSIM.  Samsung Health was turned on, and I have the heart rate monitor doing frequent checks.  No weather checking.

Screen brightness: Auto, but generally at 6

Watch face: Energetic

Usage: notifications from whatsapp, email, checking time.  Nothing that should be draining so much battery (no sports, no calls)

Last night, I tried this:

- set Do not disturb from 12 am midnight to 8 am

- Turned off heart rate monitor

- Turned off Diagnostics log (About Samsung)

Overnight from midnight to 8:30 am, I lost 9%.

This morning, wearing the watch and getting couple of notifications (no activities, no calls), I lost 7% in 1 hour.

Battery life really seems quite bad.  Question: this is my 2nd day using the watch since I bought it.  Does the battery need some time to calibrate and settle down to a good usage pattern?  I don't recall needing this kind of thing for a brand new phone, for exam.  

Carlos_7538
Galaxy

No, the pedometer function and wrist gesture will keep the watch awake hence daytime consumption being higher. Like all S3's at some point you will notice a drop in performance.

I think it's a mix of high consumption by some apps, a charging issue causing the watch to not fully charge the battery properly eventhough it indicates 100%,  I also think Samsung have changed an internal component since first build because I see that only when the watch internals are replaced do owners start to recover some battery duration.

CanVan_710
Constellation

I called Samsung and sent my watch out this week for diagnostics.

The watch had been off for over a week. When I was speaking to a Samsung rep, I decided to turn it on as I was waiting on hold from to time to check it live and prove my point to the rep. Needless to say, the watch didn't let me down at proving my point - the battery charge dropped from 16% to 12% in 10 minutes being only paired to my Pixel with BT on, Wifi off, GPS off, no sim, brightness at 3...

I am really interested in what they will find out, if anything at all. I hope techs from that 3rd party authorized service dealer know what to do.

Carlos_7538
Galaxy

Took my watch into the local Samsung store for a software update to fix the reported WiFi settings freezes and p155 poor battery life,  they had it 48 hours and it returned with exactly the same issues, but I did get a nice little bag to carry and store it in.

Having tweeted them that they problem still exists I heard back from the support centre, they need to inspect it a second time.

My advice to all here is this place is great for collective feedback but not great for getting focus from Samsung,  if you have a twitter account use it, get the issue out in the public domain where other people can see it, No company wants this kind of public feedback and exposure.

They broke the watch with Tizen 3 and now they really need to feel the pain for delivering short. 

These smart watches must be five years into the technology by now and a company that releases a watch with limited features , updates the software and breaks it to the point where it's rife with bugs and 12 hours of operation sat in an office needs a good kick up the backside.