Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userBJJ2kdeW15
Asteroid

Re: Gear S3 Frontier Tizen 3.0 Battery Drain

Hi all.

Thought I'd share my experiences.

I've had a Gear S3 Frontier since Jan '17 and like everyone on here was really happy with the battery life until the 3.0.0.0 update. It was on 3.0.0.1 when I returned it.

I've had all the classic symtoms since - apalling battery life (battery wouldn't last anywhere near 1 day and I could see the %age dropping in real time before my eyes), wouldn't charge to 100%, display saying 'battery too hot', and random shutdowns.

So, I called Samsung and they agreed to collect it and send it back to a service centre.

The battery was 'out of warranty' by nearly 2 months and the motherboard was still under warranty, but I was most insistent that they replace the battery and motherboard free of charge which a customer service manager eventually agreed to.

It was away for 2 weeks and is now back.

I did ring and write to the service centre to leave the new motherboard on Tizen 2 and stressed this, but it came back already updated to 3.0.0.1

I tried to set it up when it came back and firstly it only had 1% battery life. So when it was charged, I set it up again which was initially difficult as the startup and initial setup was in Chinese or Korean language and could not be changed...! The strap was also on the wrong way around. Not the end of the world, but annoying, nevertheless.

The rest of the setup was fine and was in English.

I did a clean install (not from a backup) and have b/tooth on, wifi off, location off (incl weather app location off - this is a setting on the phone app for the watch under app/weather/then settings for the weather and location off) - and notifications for most of the apps on, volume on 0, brightness on 10 and auto brightness on, max vibration, watchface from Facer, auto HR off, AOD off and wake up gesture on.

So, not using it to 100% of its capability, but still using some it its features.

There was also a Firmware update to 3.0.0.2,  so I downloaded it - seems like this is a very recent f/w update as the date said March 28th. The main benefits said 'improved battery life and improved bluetooth connectivity'.

I charged it last night and it did charge to 100%. Took it off charge at 0500 this morning and so far (at 10:30 in the morning) the battery is reading 95%. This is amazing compared to just before it was sent off. Before it was sent away, I filmed it dropping from 100% to 90% in 15  minutes...

So. early days yet, but it seems the combination of new battery, new motherboard and the latest 3.0.0.2 update have restored the watch to what it was before.

Hope this might help. If you do send yours away and the battery is out of warranty - but by a short time, then speak to a manager and be insistent.

Thanks to all who posted on this thread before - it really helped me in my research.

userFi95nbMrSC
Constellation

Haven't got the update to 3.0.0.2 yet but samsung keeps wanting me to send it in to the service center which is within 10 miles of my house. But I'm kinda hesitating doing that was the only way to get the update was to send it in? Thanks in advance.

Carlos_7538
Galaxy

send it in, I sent mine in and 3 days later it had a new motherboard, display, battery and charger, the predicted battery life was better when it came back.

Since fixing my freezing wifi issue on the watch I'm now enjoying 6 hours on 15% of battery. Back to how it used to be. 

userFi95nbMrSC
Constellation

I just looked and the update and downloaded it went thru its phases on the update and took it from 90% battery to 14% so hopefully it pans out. I had been talking to Samsung help on their Twitter feed and they are pretty quick to respond. Even on the day of Easter.

Carlos_7538
Galaxy

I've disabled auto update for the time being - now that the watch has been repaired and I've solved the wifi issue my watch was displaying I'm happy with it again. I'd like to get some more data on time between charges before taking the 3.0.0.2 update.

userBJJ2kdeW15
Asteroid

Further update to my long post above..... 

Watch has been off charge for 12 hours now and has had quite a few notifications through today and it's still showing 84% battery left.

Very happy with that as before the watch would have shut down by now.   

It's obviously a combination of the new battery and the 3.0.0.2 firmware update.

Someone will have to update to .2 who's not had a new battery to give you the definitive answer as to whether the f/w has drastically improved the battery life.  

userFi95nbMrSC
Constellation

I think with 3.0.0.1 software the battery was draining alot when you actually wear it because I would sit it down and it would keep charge 

userFi95nbMrSC
Constellation

After doing the tizen 3.0.0.2 update battery drain isn't as fast as as it was with 3.0.0.1 but it isn't as good as it was prior to release where I could go almost 3 days without a charge. Did go with wifi off and using original watchface and delete the 3 apps that you can that are default. Also watch isn't overheating.

userzO5OQYKNmK
Constellation

Yes it a bad deal after paying that much money for the watch

Samsung has a real problem with the watch battery life

Cilke_SanDiego
Asteroid

@samsung

Come on guys, battery issues?? You guys did not test this for at least 8 hrs? This is the worst bug on software found! I have the same problem,  after this update my battery is Terrible! Fix it please, or you guys will have increase of Returns. What is the quick turn around?