cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
islandguy
Constellation

Re: Gear S3 Frontier Tizen 3.0 Battery Drain

I don't know why, but after 10.5 hours, battery was at 81%. Thats pretty close if not at pre Tizen 3.0 update. 

Benjaminjhobbs
Constellation

Just curious. I am sending mine in tomorrow to hopefully get the battery replaced and fix the issue as well. After you got your unit back did you update it to 3.0.0.1? And did you update the weather app?
usermHG2wnaxNx
Astronaut

Sent my unit to repair. I own 1 of the wery first ones that came on sale. Repair took week. Replaced chipset and battery. Came from service already updated to 3.0.0.1 - turned off heart rate(wifi/s-healt totally/weather. Leaved just calls/sms/mail notices, wrist move activate and first 12h usage has taken only 13% of battery. Before repair same settings took in 1h between 5-6% battery. It went under RMA, so no fees. I did downgrade Tizen 3 to Tizen 2 and all other tricks mentioned in web but nothing helped after Tizen 3 was already once installed. Even after downgrade the battery drain was huge. Sending unit for repair is only solution to get your battery life back. Thats how it worked for me. So dont look those "reset to factory settings" or something else advices. Be brave and send for repair Smiley Happy

useruhzjV14t9s
Constellation

The reset, updatingto Tizen's latest software and not updating the weather app actually has been working for me. Its been almost a week. 

Im worried to look at my watch sometimes to see a percentage drop but going strong...for now.

userSkXwQV6G1f
Constellation

So I thought I would share all that i have done to fix the battery issue, both 100% full green charge and battery drain.

Got watch NOV-2017, of course after turning on update needed, whatever version of 2.X.X.X → 3.X.X.X.

• Did not notice drain at first
  • Watch would charge to 100% initially
  • All app updates were pushed through
  • After about a month and a half battery stopped aroung 93-96% SOC, not reading 100% SOC with green LED.
  • Reboots and recovery did not fix issue

Downgraded to 2.3.2.4

• Drain was better
  • Would charge to 100% initially
  • All app updates pushed through
  • After a short amount of time battery would not reach 100% SOC
  • reboots and recovery did not fix issue

Did the upgrade directly to 3.0.0.1 with watch on charger, had green LED with 100% SOC

• updated apps
  • used watch as normal, drain was between 3-4% per hour
  • After initial charge during update watch would not reach 100% SOC, back to initial 93-96% SOC when left on charger overnight

Downgraded back to 2.3.2.4 again

• did recovery after downgrade
  • rebooted after some usage
  • Battery will not reach 100% SOC, overnight charge results in 93-96% SOC come morning
  • DID NOT update any of the apps (SHealth, calendar, weather, etc)
  • Battery usge between 0.3-0.5% per hour (5.5 hours on watch down about 4%)

Conclusion:

• The initial software upgrade from 2.0.2.X→3.0.0.X may have caused damage to the actual battery or changed the code that would read battery SOC, although I have read other users sent in for repair and after about a month and a half reaching 100% SOC it would suddenly only charge to 93-96%.
  • The software upgrade somehow changed the programming outside of the typical AL,BL,CSC software packages and the battery lost its calibration, most L-ion batteries will only charge to a maximum of 94% In reality, software would then read SOC and determine full 100% charge See< http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries>. This mey explain why the motnerboard and battery replacement returns to 100% green LED charge and reduced battery consumption.  
  • Some combination of software upgrade and/or app update is causing the battery drain
    • World clock
    • Schedule
    • S Health
    • Weather <likely app causing drain>
    • S Voice
    • Alti-Barometer
  • I find it odd that i can get to 100% SOC ONCE and ONLY ONCE if i charge during an upgrade to 3.0.0.1 but NOT DOWNGRADE to 2.3.2.4, again which further leads me to believe 3.0.0.1 changes something to SOC code.

my 0.2 ¢

Oh, I have started a return for repair but if i can figure out how to get the battery to repeatably get to 100% SOC it's not going in and I am keeping the watch as is in 2.3.2.4, possibly trying to  update to 3.0.0.1 without updating weather.

userjUupOkS7In
Constellation

Did you lost Samsung pay function after downgrade?

userXMXFnS71Rs
Asteroid

s, Samsung Pay no longer works for me after 3.0 upgrade.  I've had an open ticket for weeks with no response/progress.

userSkXwQV6G1f
Constellation

I have a note 4 and couldn't get a card to add regardless of the software version, 2.3.2.3, 2.3.2.4, 3.0.0.0, or 3.0.0.1
userSkXwQV6G1f
Constellation

Alright, so something odd happened. I had to fly last weekend for work.

When i got to my destination I charged my watch and took a nap.

When I woke up it was charged to 100%. I don't know if the change in pressure changed something or what.

Got home and the last few days it seems like it got to 100% once, then 99% max another day, and last night 98-99%.  After i saw the 100% i wasn't going to send my watch in for repair, however I am going to now.

Running 2.3.2.4 I am still getting 0.9-1.7% drain per hour. Did not update weather.

userSkXwQV6G1f
Constellation

@userSkXwQV6G1fwrote:

So I thought I would share all that i have done to fix the battery issue, both 100% full green charge and battery drain.

Got watch NOV-2017, of course after turning on update needed, whatever version of 2.X.X.X → 3.X.X.X.

• Did not notice drain at first
  • Watch would charge to 100% initially
  • All app updates were pushed through
  • After about a month and a half battery stopped aroung 93-96% SOC, not reading 100% SOC with green LED.

Downgraded to 2.3.2.4

• Drain was better
  • Would charge to 100% initially
  • All app updates pushed through
  • After a short amount of time battery would not reach 100% SOC
  • reboots and recovery did not fix issue

Did the upgrade directly to 3.0.0.1 with watch on charger, had green LED with 100% SOC

• updated apps
  • used watch as normal, drain was between 3-4% per hour
  • After initial charge during update watch would not reach 100% SOC, back to initial 93-96% SOC when left on charger overnight

Downgraded back to 2.3.2.4 again

• did recovery after downgrade
  • rebooted after some usage
  • Battery will not reach 100% SOC, overnight charge results in 93-96% SOC come morning
  • DID NOT update any of the apps (SHealth, calendar, weather, etc)
  • Battery usge between 0.3-0.5% per hour (5.5 hours on watch down about 4%)

Conclusion:

• The initial software upgrade from 2.0.2.X→3.0.0.X may have caused damage to the actual battery or changed the code that would read battery SOC, although I have read other users sent in for repair and after about a month and a half reaching 100% SOC it would suddenly only charge to 93-96%.
  • The software upgrade somehow changed the programming outside of the typical AL,BL,CSC software packages and the battery lost its calibration, most L-ion batteries will only charge to a maximum of 94% In reality, software would then read SOC and determine full 100% charge See< http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries>. This mey explain why the motnerboard and battery replacement returns to 100% green LED charge and reduced battery consumption.  
  • Some combination of software upgrade and/or app update is causing the battery drain
    • World clock
    • Schedule
    • S Health
    • Weather <likely app causing drain>
    • S Voice
    • Alti-Barometer
  • I find it odd that i can get to 100% SOC ONCE and ONLY ONCE if i charge during an upgrade to 3.0.0.1 but NOT DOWNGRADE to 2.3.2.4, again which further leads me to believe 3.0.0.1 changes something to SOC code.

my 0.2 ¢

Oh, I have started a return for repair but if i can figure out how to get the battery to repeatably get to 100% SOC it's not going in and I am keeping the watch as is in 2.3.2.4, possibly trying to  update to 3.0.0.1 without updating weather.

Well this is wonderful.

Impressed with Samsung's turnaround time, sent watch on Thursday > arrived to their facility on Friday > repair was complete on Monday > had it back that friday.

Watch came back with Tizen 3.0.0.1 and about 80% charge. I threw it on the charger. Charged to 92% then stopped ... no green light or full charge.

Wore it for a day with 3.0.0.1, drain was reasonable, about 2-3% per hour, did not update any apps.

I grew tired of waking up to a warm watch only charged to 93%, so i downgraded back to 2.3.2.4. Same deal, only charges to 93%. I've done a factory reset and reboot ... did not change charging result.

So I guess it's going back to Samsung for repair again.

Seeing how the drain is reasonable, I suspect something on the motherboard is out of calibration or damaged (thermocouple or capacitor or ???).

Really stinks that these issues affect so many people, it really is a decent smartwatch.