cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear S3 Frontier Tizen 4 Battery Problems

The Gear S3 Frontier Tizen 4.0.0.2 update on 3/14/2019, in the U.S., damage the operation for the Gear S3 Frontier.  After 8 hours, the watch will turn itself off.  Turn the Gear S3 on long enough to check the battery and the watch indicator shows it is drained.  Placed the watch on the charging station and the watch display shows 75% charge or 85% charge still on the battery.  Today, 4/1/2019, the watch will not turn on.  Used the suggestion on this community by holding down the power button, rebooting, and pressing the power button multiple times to select Recovery mode and it still will not work.

I will  NO longer recommend anyone purchase a Samsung Gear watch as an update can knock it out of operation.  Samsung G3 Frontier, Model SM-R760, S/N # R5AHC05RGQP, bluetooth with Samsung Galaxy S8+.

8 REPLIES 8
userJXmfgOWxKW
Astronaut

Re: Gear S3 Frontier Tizen 4 Battery Problems

i have same exact problem but i do love the watch anybody find a solution to this yet

No solution yet over here but I see three options:

1. Send to Samsung for repair

2. Wait for another Gear S3 update to see if it fixes the problem (I'm currently waiting for an update)

3. Get rid of Gear S3 and continue wearing my G-Shock watch

userFFSej9Voo1
Constellation

There seems to be a large amount of people complaining about this same issue and mostly seems related to tizen 4 update yet I cannot see any statement or comment, reply etc from samsung themselves. 

The fact they have not addressed this in any way (as far as I can see) is simply not acceptable. You would think after much publicised public relations disasters like note 7 pocket warmer they would be making more effort to deal with such things but clearly they are not.

Ive been using samsung products for years and have spent lots of money with them but think it is time to stop using them now. This watch issue and the way they are (not) handling it is the final straw. I was annoyed with the 3D smart TV I bought for a few thousand USD some year back that was sold to me as "future proof" as it had a module in the back I would be able to upgrade every year or two - well that was a lie as upgraded modules dont exisit and now the "smart tv" cannot even play youtube videos or use latest netflix features like interactive. Now my frontier gets about 4 hours battery life in standalone mode, no bluetooth, wifi or anything  - it is useless. Im not upgrading - why should I? it did what I wanted it to do fine before the upgrade broke it so Im certainly not putting anymore money in the pockets of samsung. I was going to be buying the latest note 10 when it appears Aug/Sep but now I think I wll be jumping ship and trying a OneNote Pro 7 instead

Samsung has become a very disappointing product.  And you are right, they have not made comments or statements about the battery for the smartwatch.  I am not going to spend additional money on getting the watch repaired, I am still waiting for a battery software update.

dcrimor
Astronaut

Hi everyone.

I have been suffering this battery drain during the last two or three months, before and after the update to "one ui".  I have followed all  the tips that people mention in different  threads about the problem but with no avail. I have done Factory reset several times, I have downloaded different versions of the Gear S plugin and Galaxy wearable software, deleted data and cache from Galaxy wearable app, unistalled Samsung health, unistalled altitude, etc, and all without success.

I have to say that I went from 2-3 days of battery to 12 hours. Considering I usually leave home at 6 in the morning, that didn’t give me enought battery for the day.

But yesterday I forgot to put the watch in the charging dock. So it was a full day discharged then I charged it and voila!!!! it’s now 27 hours after the last charge and I still have 53% available. That means that I go again to 2-3 days of battery and with all apps installed.

I hope this can help.

So disappointing Samsung Gear S3 Frontier!!! Gear S3 prob...

So disappointing Samsung Gear S3 Frontier!!! Gear S3 problems persist after the most recent update, 5/22/2019, Version R760XXU2ESE3 / R7600XA2ESE3. Struggled to update the software while keeping the watch on the charger but as soon as the Gear S3 is removed from the charger, it turns off again.

My final solution. I paid $70 to have the Gear S3 Frontie...

My final solution. I paid $70 to have the Gear S3 Frontier repaired by 1-800-SAMSUNG. Problem found: internal battery failure and side key failure. The Gear has been working fine after repair.

The Gear software update version R760XXU2ESE3/R760OXA2ESE3 on May 22, 2019, U.S.A, did not help so I sent in for repair. Decided not to throw it away after paying $450 over two years ago.

userg9wD32GRk0
Constellation

I had the same battery drain issue 3 months ago on Gear S3.  Battery would die in leass than 4 hours.  I updated last software and it has worked fine until 3 days ago.  Here we go again. Battery dead in ledd than 4 hours for no reason.  Restarted several times and no good.

What do I do?

John