cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArashMD
Asteroid

Gear S3 Frontier power button doesn't work. Only works if simultaneously pressed with back button.

Hi Samsung community. I know there is already a big thread about this issue which is ironically marked as "solved" but I know that a bunch of Gear S3 users are dealing with this weird issue and yet no official comment from Samsung stating where is the issue coming from. If you are a Samsung moderator or technician, please read this thread completely before suggesting solution.

To explain the exact issue for the readers: My Gear S3 Frontier (which is less than 1.5 years old) was working perfectly until suddenly the power/menu button stopped working. I later realized that pressing the power button simultaneously with the back button will function as a power button but pressing it alone is like doing nothing. I tried all solutions in the other thread (along with many other users demanding official answers) such as holding the power button for 10 seconds, hard resetting the watch to its factory settings, checking that Samsung page which has many steps on it like the first step says checking the device for physical damage and cleaning and etc. Yet none of those were the solution to this problem. This problem initially looks like a software issue but I believe is a hardware issue that Samsung has to address. Today after 2 months my power button started working for a few hours and every time I was pressing the back button it was stopping working again. It serms the problem is with the button circuit or the common ground that goes into the buttons. If any Samsung employees reading this thread, please notify Samsung for official solution or answer to this important problem that many of the owners of this expensive device are facing instead of marking it as "solved." I read that a few users sent their devices for repair and were told that it is irreparable due to "water damage" on the main board although their phones were never been exposed to water. Mine was never exposed to water as well so it couldn't just be water damage. Whether it's a software issue or a design or production problem, please provide us with a logical solution in this thread. 

11 REPLIES 11
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Gear S3 Frontier power button doesn't work. Only works if simultaneously pressed with back bu...

Can I have your full model code, serial number, and IMEI number if (LTE) via private message?

fivetee
Asteroid

Re: Gear S3 Frontier power button doesn't work. Only works if simultaneously pressed with back bu...

I have the same issue with my Gear S3 Classic.

userWwgrkVcwSc
Constellation

I brought this phone 5days ago I'm having problems with i...

I brought this phone 5days ago I'm having problems with it already

ArashMD
Asteroid

Re: Gear S3 Frontier power button doesn't work. Only works if simultaneously pressed with back butto

Just an update for the future readers: After contacting SamsungLarry and providing him with the requested information, he told me that my device is "out of warranty" and I need to send it to the local repair shop! Aside from the fact that my post was not even being completely read by the Samsung moderator (in which I mentioned that my device is just less than 1.5 years old = out of 1 year LIMITED manufacturere's warranty), no clear answer was given about the reason for this big product failure. However, I should mention that after re-emphasizing my intention to him (which is the official clarification by Samsung about this issue to the costumers and the owners of Gear S3), I was promised that the matter would be conveyed to the company for their information and action. Lets wait and see if this promise will be made and if we hear some answer or solution from Samsung to avoid putting further cost on other customer's shoulders (it would be nice if they post an update here too). Something like product recall for repair for those products that are sold and perhaps are still under warranty. After recent issues with Samsung products, and as a long-time Samsung fan and product owner, I believe this is the least action that the company should take to retain or regain their customer's trust. 

useru5wJEwC2L0
Astronaut

Re: Gear S3 Frontier power button doesn't work. Only works if simultaneously pressed with back butto

Have you received a response to your issue?  I also have a frontier with a non-functioning button.  

ArashMD
Asteroid

@useru5wJEwC2L0 wrote:

Have you received a response to your issue?  I also have a frontier with a non-functioning button.  

No new updates except that they told me to take my watch to a certified repair shop to get it repaired out of pocket. This is definitely a hardware issue (and I'm sure that Samsung is aware of it) and my watch is not under warranty anymore so I don't think they'll do any thing particularly about my device. However, it would be nice for Samsung to give us some answers as to why this happens and recall the devices that are still under warranty for a fix.

dnelson200
Constellation

Same here. I would love to get this fixed. 

userQJGoeIoHEC
Constellation

I have the same problem, have to press both buttons simultaneously. This is so extremely annoying, i was looking forward to galaxy watch, but im not going to buy it because of what happened to my and soo many others S3. Im to scared to invest my hard earned money in it, knowing how little effort samsung does to adress this problem. I belive they Are very aware of the problem though. 

user7NazMt7IDc
Constellation

Same exact problem.   Clearly a specific problem not related to wear. But started happening when updated os