cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SmsngUsr
Astronaut

Re: Gear S3 button stopped working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've had my Gear S3 Frontier for a couple years I guess.  At some point probably a year ago, my home button (bottom right) stopped working too.  I've always been able to shut it off or turn it on by pressing both buttons together and holding them.  And, I don't really have many occasions when I find a need for the other features...so I will occasionally look thru google for reports of this issue, but never really worry so much with it.  However, I got it in my head I was gonna figure it out.  So, I landed here.  So many ppl were saying that a reset would fix the issue...that it is software related...that I went ahead and navigated to the reset option using the bezel.   Now, I'm stuck and can't get even my normal limited use out of it, because I cannot get past the intro where it instructs you to push this button...then shows you what it does...then tells you to turn the bezel...then tells you to push the home button.  LOL.   This stinks.  Does anybody have a suggestion that doesn't include spending $150 on a tier 3 replacement thru insurance...or buying a new one...or using a hammer ?  Thanks

user3ZwgjabnBR
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same problem. I did the software update and now I'm stuck at the part where it tells you to push the home button. Is there anyway to get out of this instruction intro since the home button isn't responding?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried resetting the device?

lipefleming
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having this problem, I have not tried to restore the factory settings to see if it solves the problem.

Highlighted
user7RXss96l2v
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've had my Gear S3 Frontier watch since about 9/2017.  Only in the last ~6 mos has the Home button stopped working.  Holding the Home button down for about 10 seconds did not work for me but pressing the Home and Back buttons simultaneously and very briefly works like a charm.  My current working theory is that one should then hold the Home button down until the watch reboots (and remember to change your Display timeout settings back to whatever they were-10 secs for me).

I agree that the problem is probably some sort of software/firmware problem as although the Home button would rarely work when the watch was just sleeping and should wake to the clock face with a Home button press, at other random places in the watch interface, even with the Home button not working to wake the watch, a press of the Home button would jump the watch back to the clock face.  So, yes, Samsung should fix this problem to give us the years of life we expect from such a relatively expensive device.  It's not a $30 throw-away-once-a-year Timex watch.

BTW, the Home button problem made me realize that the ultimate life of this very lovely watch depends on the mechanical life span of the two physical buttons and to a lesser extent, the rotating bezel.  So I've now set Touch-to-Wake as my normally-used alternate to pressing the Home button.  I had it off before for fear that I'd be turning the watch on and off all night in my sleep by brushing the watch face against my face, the other arm, etc., but that doesn't seem to be the case, and now that I've gotten used to tapping the screen, it's my preferred method of waking the watch, which I normally keep Display Off to maximize battery charge for the day and long-term battery lifespan.

One further thought is that perhaps the Home button app problem arises from running some other app that's somehow consuming Home button presses or interfering with them reaching the OS interface for that type of event.  Perhaps Samsung should add an interface to its Galaxy Wearable phone app that allows one to examine (and configure) the use of the watch Back and Home buttons according to OS/app context?

userRXfHWxEIMq
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same here. The button not working and out of warranty. Tried to fix it several times during warranty. Very disappointed. Problem is NOT solved.

userC6AuvV7UMk
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please press both buttons to go to the power off screen. Also press both buttons to turn on. I think one of the updates have changed the power off/on algorithm and now includes both buttons.....or it''s a work around in an update to solve the lower button problem.