JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Gear S3 button stopped working

(Topic created: 04-22-2021 12:48 PM)
Alessandro
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hello. I have a Gear S3 Frontier (Just one month) and The power/home button is not working. It works when it wants to. I have tried resetting but to no good. I also tried to restart but I almost couldnt turn it back on. I'm really disappointed. 

Any ideas? 

99 Replies
user7RXss96l2v
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I've had my Gear S3 Frontier watch since about 9/2017.  Only in the last ~6 mos has the Home button stopped working.  Holding the Home button down for about 10 seconds did not work for me but pressing the Home and Back buttons simultaneously and very briefly works like a charm.  My current working theory is that one should then hold the Home button down until the watch reboots (and remember to change your Display timeout settings back to whatever they were-10 secs for me).

I agree that the problem is probably some sort of software/firmware problem as although the Home button would rarely work when the watch was just sleeping and should wake to the clock face with a Home button press, at other random places in the watch interface, even with the Home button not working to wake the watch, a press of the Home button would jump the watch back to the clock face.  So, yes, Samsung should fix this problem to give us the years of life we expect from such a relatively expensive device.  It's not a $30 throw-away-once-a-year Timex watch.

BTW, the Home button problem made me realize that the ultimate life of this very lovely watch depends on the mechanical life span of the two physical buttons and to a lesser extent, the rotating bezel.  So I've now set Touch-to-Wake as my normally-used alternate to pressing the Home button.  I had it off before for fear that I'd be turning the watch on and off all night in my sleep by brushing the watch face against my face, the other arm, etc., but that doesn't seem to be the case, and now that I've gotten used to tapping the screen, it's my preferred method of waking the watch, which I normally keep Display Off to maximize battery charge for the day and long-term battery lifespan.

One further thought is that perhaps the Home button app problem arises from running some other app that's somehow consuming Home button presses or interfering with them reaching the OS interface for that type of event.  Perhaps Samsung should add an interface to its Galaxy Wearable phone app that allows one to examine (and configure) the use of the watch Back and Home buttons according to OS/app context?

user8l6JLwEVSm
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Maybe they could do a double tap also since the new phones have double tap to wakeup

0 Likes
userhjPnCj0cjp
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Thanks, this info helped me!

0 Likes
SamsungJace
Honored Contributor
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

An Accepted Solution has been marked, and provided for this thread. The thread will now be locked for further replies. in hopes to keep the integrity of the thread from steering in a non-technical manner. We understand the solution marked may not be a solution for everyone, If you have a separate concern or question, feel free to Private message a moderator or post a new thread with additional details. Please note duplicate posts on similar subjects starting 2/1/21, will be removed in order to keep our community organized and make it easier for our users to find needed content. Remember that if you do make a new post, please include as many details about your symptoms as possible. Also, make sure that your title is a good summary of the overall situation that's occurring. Thank you for being part of the community!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userRXfHWxEIMq
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Same here. The button not working and out of warranty. Tried to fix it several times during warranty. Very disappointed. Problem is NOT solved.

0 Likes
userC6AuvV7UMk
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Please press both buttons to go to the power off screen. Also press both buttons to turn on. I think one of the updates have changed the power off/on algorithm and now includes both buttons.....or it''s a work around in an update to solve the lower button problem. 

userlPtmaR8lEo
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

There are 4 capacitors that connected to the buttons. 3 of the solder connections was found broken. I was able to resoldered the connection and all buttons worked.

0 Likes
userzsNkslz4BL
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

which capacitors picture or movie

0 Likes
userdIoraPOtxf
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I concur, they are on the flex board, very small 0201 size. But the are not capacitors, they are 0 ohm resistors. I found that the connections from the buttons to the resistors were good but both connections from the home key resistors to the watch were bad on my watch. I soldered very thin magnetic winding wire directly from the switches to the watch. The home button goes to the innermost pad on the watch board, call it pin 1, and pin 3. The back button goes to pin 2 and 4.

Another option is to solder on a new flex button board. They are on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/153118442631

0 Likes
useruLvWuPEEkA
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I have had the same issue and the workaround helps (pressing both buttons at the same time and letting either of them go brings up the menu). My watch is over 2 years old.

However I am quite shocked that Samsung has not provided a sensible reply for scores of people having the same issue which obviously is widespread. It’s either badly soldered contacts in the watch across the entire series or a software bug. Based on the dearth of sensible answers from Samsung, I’m afraid it’s the former. If it would be a software problem, it would be already fixed but there is nothing to be done with bad workmanship except hope the complaints die away as custmers get new watches. 

Only one thing is certain - I will be never buying a Samsung watch again.

0 Likes