cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usersueoklUKZx
Constellation

Gear S3 classic sensors not working

I have a gear S3 classic and my sensors are not working and haven't been, I've updated it, factory reset it, cleared the cache it fails a sensor test. Barometer, heart rate, pedometer, gps, altitude all sensors are not working. From reading here it is from an update so what can be done?

9 REPLIES 9
FormerGearFan
Cosmic Ray

Re: Gear S3 classic sensors not working

So far it appears Samsung is having people send in their watches for "repair". One user on the forum reportedly sent it in for repairs and then it quit again after the next update. Definitely appears to be a software update causing the problems. Samsung does not appear to be fixing it yet.

usersueoklUKZx
Constellation

I've contacted Samsung, they want to charge me $73 just to send it in so they can look at it. Then charge whatever it's going to cost to repair it, it's been out of warranty since February so I'm at a loss.

FormerGearFan
Cosmic Ray

And, it could break again until the update is fixed correctly.

FormerGearFan
Cosmic Ray

One of the user solutions on this forum might be a manageable work around for the sensors not working.

I would have to take some time to relocate the suggestion, but in a nutshell one user said to leave the gear s3 turned off for several hours. I tried this and it seemed to work until the next reboot when the sensors quit again. I tried to repeat the work around again, but it failed. I don't have enough data points yet, but it appears that a slight modification to this solution could work.

In conclusion, if the gear s3 is rebooted while warm, either from running or charging, the sensors will not work. In this case, shutdown leave it off the charger overnight and boot in the morning and the sensors work again until rebooted warm. Repeat the cold boot process and sensors should work. Time will tell if this is repeatable.

FormerGearFan
Cosmic Ray

Quick update and correction. All sensors appear to be working except for the altimeter since my post above. That said, it has been questionable from the beginning, and seemed to change behavior with updates. I have not rebooted since my post either so I still have that bridge to cross.

user1WH981DeCf
Constellation

I had the same problem. After update to Tilzen 4.0.0.4 my sensors stopped working and my battery drain was crazy. My solution was:
1. I waited for the battery to drain out.

2. I put the watch on the cradle and left it there for 1 and a half day. (put it on cradle on Friday, took it off on Sunday)
3. turned my watch on and everything was working.
Still working for now.

userNd6fJTrrzr
Asteroid

Having same problem, your watch is working fine still?

user1WH981DeCf
Constellation

Yes still working like it should... 

FormerGearFan
Cosmic Ray

Yes, except for altimeter, BUT I have not rebooted yet. I will likely have to reboot soon since its response time is starting to slow down. This has always been true for my watch. I used to reboot it frequently to keep it performing smoothly. Now I'm hesitant to reboot. It will happen soon and then we'll know if the watch will successfully repeat the process.