JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Gear S3 not showing text notifications

(Topic created: 04-25-2018 01:03 PM)
Base_Word
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S3 Frontier stopped displaying notifications for incoming text messages.  They are listed in the messaging app, but the watch does not show new text notifications any more.  I have tried to go to settings in the Samsung Gear app, but under manage notifications (where you turn notifications on and off for various apps), "messages" is not listed, so there is not switch to turn messages on or off.  

This is not the issue where I don't have a messaging app on my Gear, because the app is still there on the watch, it is just not showing me texts and missing from the Samsung Gear app.

177 Replies
userz85MsE6SiZ
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
Not sure if this will help.. I had my Samsung Gear S3 stop displaying notifications a few weeks ago. Very annoying Over time I played around with a bunch of settings, but no results.

Today, it is fixed, or at least I found a workaround. For unrelated reasons I decided to switch my watch face this morning and the notifications started showing up again. I discovered that it seems the choice of watch face may make a difference. I had been using "Activity Racer"; I would get vibrations but the watch would not wake up, and when I did wake up the watch I had to turn the bezel to see the notification.

This morning I switched the watch face to "DSS Flip Clock", and the notifications started waking up and showed over the watch face again. I flipped it back to "Activity Racer", and notifications no longer worked.

I haven't played with all the various faces (yet), but this may help get to the bottom of the issue.
0 Likes
userZzfUQNlLyo
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

This was a good observation on your part, not been receiving text messages for past 2 weeks, changed face to previously used face and text messages notifications began working again. Thank you for the post!!!!

0 Likes
user5CapPO5p3u
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I stopped getting notifications today for texts and other things. I have an iPhone that I use with my Gear. I decided to turn my phone off and back on again and that did the trick. 

0 Likes
user6arIXsYCxO
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Go into settings on the watch, connections and make sure your number sync is on. I had this issue and somehow mine had got turned off. Once I turned it back on, it fixed the issue. 

0 Likes
user8G9vpvsdkM
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Same issue for me (Gear S3 with Pixel 2).  Did all the suggested fixes and nothing worked.  Then I saw on another forum this tip:  uninstalling the app updates:  I went into settings/app & notifications/messages. Then tap the 3 dots on top right corner and select Uninstall updates.  Vibrations are back and have been for the past 2 weeks. 

userzic68przbn
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I'm having the same here

0 Likes
SamsungCamp
Comet
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Good afternoon @userzic68przbn

Have you attempted any of the steps that other users  have listed in the thread so far? Just checking since it helps to know what you have already done.

0 Likes
userBaIp81j6hU
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
I have the same problem with my gear s3 frontier not showing stick Samsung messages app notification on my gear s3 watch. Tried everything here to no avail 😞 please help
0 Likes
SamsungCamp
Comet
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

@userBaIp81j6hU

When you say you tried everything, could you give me a brief rundown, just so I know in greater detail what you have already attempted?

0 Likes
userBaIp81j6hU
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Yes, thanks.  Well, I made sure to update the gear s3 frontier software and gear app, and my phone is also with the most current Oreo update on my Note 8.  I've tried rebooting the watch and phone. I've made sure that in the gear app Notifications are turned on for the stock samsung messages app (it is).  I made sure notifications are on ring/sound on my watch, and on my Note 8 phone (with my Oreo uodate, if my phone is set to vibrate, then all my watch notifications only vibrate ... Except for the messages app... Nothing happens with my watch when I get a text on the messages app).  I made sure I am not on 'do not disturb'.  I did a complete reset of my watch and did not restore anything backed up, but actually wiped it and reset it like it's brand new and even then it doesn't alert me to any messages texts with my phone on Oreo.  I then updated it all again.  I tried a few other things that I can't recall, but just some things like un pairing and re-paring, and syncing with WiFi, etc. all to no avail.  I just can't get notifications with the stock samsung messages app.  I then downloaded Textra for texting and checked it in the gear app to be notified with Textra and it notifies me... but the messages app doesn't at all notify me even though it's checked to notify me also.  I wish I could use the default messages app because that allows me to send messages from the watch (not just reply) but the notifications for it are broke . Any help would be appreciated!  I also wish I could put my phone on vibrate and still get audible alerts on my watch.  I also made sure my watch is set for sound and the volume setting sre all set to as loud as they can go.  Any other recommendations?

0 Likes