JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Gear S3 not showing text notifications

(Topic created: 02-20-2019 07:11 AM)
Base_Word
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S3 Frontier stopped displaying notifications for incoming text messages.  They are listed in the messaging app, but the watch does not show new text notifications any more.  I have tried to go to settings in the Samsung Gear app, but under manage notifications (where you turn notifications on and off for various apps), "messages" is not listed, so there is not switch to turn messages on or off.  

This is not the issue where I don't have a messaging app on my Gear, because the app is still there on the watch, it is just not showing me texts and missing from the Samsung Gear app.

177 Replies
userEGJza3EOTH
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

The factory reset works, but why should I have to lose all my settings and history also needing to reinstall my apps??

0 Likes
userF8m7iu0mXJ
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
Didn't work for mine
0 Likes
knightsurgeon
Neutron Star
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hi @userF8m7iu0mXJ, would you send us a private message here with your full model code?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
user1F669FvQzo
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I have found /A/ solution for the iOS NOTIFICATION issue only. This may not work for everyone but it worked for me: 

Go into Settings>Notifications>Messages and ensure everything is set to the following (because I’m not sure which change made it work):

Allow notifications: on

Alerts: Notification center

Banner style: Temporary

Sounds: <your sound>

Badges: On

Show previews: When unlocked 

Notification grouping: By app

i think the last one is the most important 

0 Likes
usern44NPb4kKe
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

That works for a week or 2. Not a permanent fix. I have done all of the "fixes" listed on the boards and none last. As a  diehard Samsung guy, this disappoints me greatly. What value is a smart watch that will not do the main thing it is supposed to do. Messages, calls, and voicemail notices are all greyed out in the Gear app. Maybe someday Samsung will begin to take pride in their stuff again. Or lay down and roll over.

0 Likes
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hopefully all will see this. I've been playing with my watch. I have factory reset the phone twice. I reset the watch several times, uninstalled the gear app etc. It dawned on me that I get notifications at night while I'm asleep and when I'm driving. When I'm driving, I stream music from my phone. At night, my phone volume is Max for my alarm. At all other times, phone vibrate and sound is muted.  I found that when my phone is muted, I get no notifications. If the phone volume or vibrate is on, the notifications come through. So, the phone needs not be muted for the notifications to come through. Gear app has a setting to mute the phone if you are going to receive the notifications on your watch. Anyway, something I found and tested.

0 Likes
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

The real fix is making sure your phone is not muted, ie. Volume not at 0 and vibrate off.  If your phone is set to not give  you notifications, your watch will also not give you notifications.  If you don't want sound or vibrate on your phone while you have notifications sent to your watch, go into settings on the gear app and select mute phone when your watch received notifications.

userwnC43pKcpw
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I finally succeeded in getting my text messages back with a clean and complete reinstallation of everything and initially NOT logging in into Samsung ID. Possibly, after a system upgrade some remnant at Samsung blocks the text message from connecting properly. After the installation was fully completed I could login at Samsung without loss of function. Weird.

userrGyRoLLOm7
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
That doesn't work
0 Likes
userZ7ghZSwjss
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

This is not a solution. It's a work around.

Samsung are aware of the problem but arent interested in addressing it .if you have anything but a Samsung phone, tech support is non existent. Sent 3 emails regarding the issue .multiple phone calls and nothing but arrogance and a complete lack of care at all. There is no "fix" for this issue. 

0 Likes