JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Gear S3 not showing text notifications

(Topic created: 04-20-2017 02:10 PM)
Base_Word
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S3 Frontier stopped displaying notifications for incoming text messages.  They are listed in the messaging app, but the watch does not show new text notifications any more.  I have tried to go to settings in the Samsung Gear app, but under manage notifications (where you turn notifications on and off for various apps), "messages" is not listed, so there is not switch to turn messages on or off.  

This is not the issue where I don't have a messaging app on my Gear, because the app is still there on the watch, it is just not showing me texts and missing from the Samsung Gear app.

JUMP TO SOLUTION
177 Replies
SamsungCamp
Comet
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

@userBaIp81j6hU

Thank you for sharing what you had done in detail like that, it does help. I am glad to see you have been so thorough as well. If you have done all that it may be that we just have to wait for an update for the default messenger app. The only other possible thing I can think of would be to send the device in for repair, but I think it is more likely that it is just an application error at the moment.

0 Likes
userUNoYbn9wnl
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I can't set notifications on barely any of my apps after I did a factory reset of my phone which has now updated to Android Oreo. The phone is freshly installed, I've reset the watch 3 times and also reinstalled the gear app a few times however I can only see 4 apps, before the phone updated to Oreo everything was working fine. Now the phone and watch lose contact a lot and I can't set barely any of my apps to notify me. Can you please assist because at the moment the watch is completely useless.

Kind regards,

Hanna

0 Likes
SamsungCamp
Comet
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Good afternoon Community,

Has anyone else experienced these concerns after updating their phone to Oreo? And if so, would anyone happen to have a work around?

0 Likes
Chuckster679
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I had the problem & tried resetting the watch several times. I also deleted the data from the Gear app on my phone, as well as the data from the Gear plugin on my phone. None of this worked, so I did what I tried to avoid for so long. I deleted both the Gear app & the Gear plugin from my phone. Then I reset my watch again. This process reinstalled both apps, & voila, Samsung Messages is back in the notifications on the watch. This time it is close to the top of the notifications, so don't scroll past it. I am one happy camper now. If you try this, I hope it is as effective a fix as it were for me. Try it & be a happy camper like me.

My phone is the S9+.

0 Likes
userUNoYbn9wnl
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I have reset both the watch and the apps several times but no luck. I can add that I do not have a Samsung phone, I have a Sony but they have worked together before but after the Oreo update it is pretty much useless. Just made yet another try but no luck, this is frustrating beyond belief, has anyone been able to get it working on a non-samsung phone on Oreo? It's worked perfectly before 😞

/Hanna

0 Likes
dlepel
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I've experienced the same issues as everyone else.

I downloaded Android Messages and made it the default SMS handler. Issue solved. It most certainly is a bug with the stock Messages app.

0 Likes
userMiIA2WwWLA
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My original watch was having hardware issues so I turned it in to Samsung for service and they came back and told me it had a bad motherboard. I got a full refund and had to go buy a 2nd S3 from Verizon. Initially everything worked as normal. Then about a week into it I stopped getting text messages, email  and  Samsung pay would not connect to the phone. 

I searched through multiple chatrooms and tried all the tips and tricks I could find and nothing seemed to work. So I finally tried the undesirable step of resetting the gear and comletely deleting the gear app from my phone. I then reset everything up as a new install. Originally I was using Messages+ which received updates, but it wouldn't let me respond and wouldn't show me images. So I decided to go back to the default messaging system on my phone and watch. 

Finally after everything was setup, I swtiched back to the default email  program on the phone and updated the sync schedule from a timed sync to Auto (when recieved). All notifications finally work as they were supposed to.

So what have I discovered?

The old gear app on my phone seemed to be an old version and was not updated. When I go the new watch, the software updates on the watch wouldn't comletely sync with the phone which is probably why Samsung pay never worked. Now all apps seem to function as they should. So, if you are like me and have tried everything but the full uninstall, then it is time to just bite the bullet and do it. It will most likely solve the majority, if not all your issues, and if it doesn't, consider that you may have a defective watch and turn it in to Samsung before your warranty expires.

But beware, while Samsung diagnosed my original gear pretty quickly, I had quite a battle with them to get my refund. Their tech department is not driving to customer satisfaction. But after 2 1/2 months, I am finally happy with my gear. At this point I probably will stick with my S3 for a while and will defintly think long and hard about updating to an S4 if it comes out. 

Good luck everyone. 

0 Likes
userhveOGoBWRy
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I ordered a Gear S3 from Samsung and had brief success getting text messages on my Gear S3 using my Galaxy 6 phone, but that feature quit after a couple of days. Several calls to Samsung tech support yielded no success and I ultimately returned the watch at the suggestion of tech support. I bought another on Amazon and was unable to get any texts on the watch, despite resetting the phone, Gear and uninstalling and reinstalling the Gear app on my phone. Tech support had no other suggestions. Last resort, I found and uninstalled the Gear plug-in from my phone, then uninstalled the Gear app, reset the watch and again downloaded the Gear app to my phone, When it asked, during installation, to restore Samsung data I had it SKIP. Re-paired the devices and all is working, using the stock Samsung message app (not the Verizon Message+ nor Textra apps.) Getting texts on the watch and able to reply! Hope it persists!!

0 Likes
SamsungCamp
Comet
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

@userzic68przbn

Hello again, thought I would see if you needed any further assistance.

0 Likes
userxDhaVnOIOF
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I've reset twice and still no messenger.

0 Likes