Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
user6ZnbzyfBhQ
Constellation

Gear S3 not working with Samsung Pay

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello All,

I just got my Gear S3 last week and am having issues setting up Samsung Pay.  Every time I try to add a card it goes through the validating card info process then says registration failed.  Failed to register your card.  Try again later.  I have all of these cards in my Samsung Pay on my Galaxy S7 Edge and they work with no problems.  I have completely reset the watch and cleared the cache and uninstalled and reinstalled the S3 Pay app from my phone.  Nothing seems to work.  I think that there is something blocking the phone when it tries to verify the card and add it to the watch pay app but not sure what to look for.  The samsung techs were no help and the Samsung Pay people also could not figure it out.  I don't think that it is the watch - I think that it is a communications issue.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Rob

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userMLZ303XAuz
Constellation

Re: Gear S3 not working with Samsung Pay

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've been dealing with this issue for a month now and after two "repairs" which did nothing, I finally fixed the issue on my own.

Here is what I did:

1. On your phone: Settings>Apps>Locate the Samsung Pay (Gear plug-in) App. Make sure its the Gear plug-in one and not the normal Samsung Pay one.
  2. Click on it > Storage > CLEAR DATA
  3. Press the Samsung Pay button on your watch/Gear 3
  4. Go through all the steps, create pin, add cards, etc.. 

It works now!

I used to be stuck on that spinning circle "Preparing...".

109 REPLIES 109
Sorbert
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just a quick question did you add it through the gear app samsung pay link since the regular one already has the cards in so cant add them back in??  I had a similar issue wondering why it wasnt working til i did it through the gear app

user6ZnbzyfBhQ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have tried it through the pay icon in the gear app and through the watch.  Keeps saying registration failed.  Any other thoughts?

Regards,

Rob

user7qL1udXFoi
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I as well.. the bank states they don't see the request hitting their network.  

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So any attempts at using Samsung Pay is not even sending out anything that your bank can even see as trying to authorize? That sounds like there's a hang up before the charge even makes that connection. Have you contacted the Samsung Pay Support Team with this information by chance?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

user7qL1udXFoi
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have not.

But what I can stress is my bank (wellsfargo) was able to watch the requests. 

They immediately saw Android Pay request come over (instantly i might add) but no traffic from samsung pay.

Update: after 3 days of trying random  resets, factory defaults etc, the samsung pay app accepted my credit card.. but the card did not automatically transfer over to the watch, as i had to run samsung pay app from the gear app.

*THIS* is where I believe we are all having issues. 2 separate apps are trying to do the same thing. I was able to call wellsfargo, and they were able to force an approval of the identical card on the app, as it would reject stating it was already part of samsung pay..

tl;dr: had to add same card, in the 2 different apps, how it managed to work (get passed the authentication screen) I have no idea.

Attached image is where it would fail, without even attempting... -> accept eula -> fail screen.

If i were the "typical" purchaser of the s3, i would of returned the product within the hour. A non-technical cannot jump through the hoops as many of ther users here are.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It isn't like this is a "new" issue ... in FACT it is the problem that has been constantly occuring since release in NOVEMBER last year.  Samsung Pay "support" (such that it is) has been consistantly WORTHLESS yet still hasn't directly admitted there is a problem.  There carefully worded response after months of repeated calls was "it appears there may be an issue" with some of the devices.  NO $#!+ !!!  Mind you ... this carefull wording is NOT an admission.  Additionally I was SPECIFICALLY told they did NOT have much contact or input from this forum .... I explicitly told them "they probably should as it has been FAR MORE HELP than ALL the calls to SP Support combined.   I also followed that SP Support has been the worst of any company I've dealt and as the owner of 2 companies that do tech support I know a bit about it....and that she would be FIRED for her sorry performance and lack of scheduled follow through. (She was only one of several "non-follow through" agents ..... the others still have never replied)

The fact that Samsung Pay support continues to let affected users "chase their tails", wasting time calling their banks and credit card companies, resetting their phones, watches, etc or otherwise looking for an answer is INEXCUSABLE.  

I was finally able to get a working device although via NO HELP from SAMSUNG. My carrier (T-Mobile) became aware of the problem and was also aware of the poor Samsung "Support" problems and exchanged the device for a newer one THAT WORKED!

And as a side note: Someone who had posted here and been able to exchange their unit noticed to the effect that the newer working unit seemed to have a looser bezzel than the tighter (better manufactured) older unit. I also noticed this difference and liked the older tighter unit.  At this point I'm not wearing the watch all the time I'm so disgusted. 

userv6E0wzIIG8
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just wanted to confirm what someone mentioned about the loose bezel. I too was having this ridiculous issue with samsung pay not validating any card and in the end I was able to get a replacement from amazon. My card was validated on the first try, but I noticed the bezel is very loose on the new watch as compared to the faulty version of the frontier. Either poor quality control or bad tolerance requirements in the engineering department.

userUZFBey7bsE
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had this problem too, I had to install the "wallet app for my particular institution, and then it installed in samsung pay.  Don't select "make my financial institution app the default payment method" though, or it shuts down samsung pay.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ive been having this same issue SINCE THE DAY the thing was released!  I have YET you get it to accept even one card (the same cards previously used fine in my Note7.  I have spent dozens of hours, in the phone stores, on the phone, and especially direct with Samsung.  Samsung, even after multiple calls has been ABSOLUTELY NO HELP and has yet to offer even one recomendation.

In watching the non-Sammy forums, this seems to be a VERY common problem and still without explaination.

With the BS I went through with the recall of the Note7 (BOTH TIMES), the transfer and resetup of extensive infor into the much lesser S7, and now not getting this "stuff" to work ...and after a full month not knowing if it ever will ..... I can only now question IS IT REALLY WORTH IT!

The one reason I got this watch over my previous was the Samsung Pay ...and it has proven WORTHLESS. Worse still, I gave up a perfectly good watch and sim card to get  THIS GRIEF.

I have had S2, S4, Note(1), Note2, Note3, Note4, (no Note5!), S6, Note7, S7 Gear, GearS, Tab, Tab2, Tab2, ATIV, ATIV Book9+ .... so ive been a pretty loyal client ...  but frankly ... im pretty pi$$ed at this point because of the lack of any meaningful response ...and ready to pitch it ALL. SAMSUNG ..... GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!