JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Gear S3 sensors quit after update

(Topic created: 02-07-2019 08:44 PM)
userJvs2u4JLUx
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Gear S3 Frontier, after the 4.0 update a few weeks ago, the battery drain went from charging it every 2 to 3 days to it is depleted in 10 to 12 hours. None of the sensors work, HR sensor, barometer, gyro, etc. The watch doesn't even know if I'm wearing it or not. The green lights for the HR sensor wont even come on. Diagnostics show a fail on all sensors and the sensor hub. I have reset and rebooted the watch numerous times. I have cleared the cache in the gear app on my phone (Note 5). My watch ran perfectly up to the 4.0.0.2 update and has barely been able to function as a time piece let alone a smart watch. We need a proper fix! It is not a hardware issue unless the update burned out the hardware in which case Samsung needs to be liable and repair it at no cost. We need help and a fix!

31 Replies
Solution
SamsungQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

@userJvs2u4JLUx Thanks for reaching out. I see that you have done a lot of trouble shooting steps already. Can you send me a private message using this link here? Provide your model and serial number. 

View solution in context

userJvs2u4JLUx
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Sorry, but what link?

0 Likes
userJvs2u4JLUx
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

nevermind...

0 Likes
dirbaz
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

i have a same problem, did you can help me?

uservmljeHek24
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Don't you think it's time that Samsung provides a solution for all users facing this problem? My Gear S3 Classic (SM-R770) is more or less disfunctional (all sensors are not working) for more than 9 months. Sure it displays the time when I push a button and shows incoming SMSes but more than half of the functionality why one buys such a watch isn't there. That's not because the hardware got broken but because Samsung ruined a software update. Not just one, I did at least 3 updates since then and none of them revived my sensors.

Yes, I did a factory reset (several times), yes, I switch the watch of for more than a day (I hope you actually don't call that a solution), I unpaired and repaired it but nothing helps. You did that wrong so it's you who should repair it.

I know you have a new watch (I even bought one) but it's simly inacceptable that we have to buy a new product because of your failure. In my opinion 9 months are definitely enough time for a company like Samsung to offer a solution. For me it's time now to start warning users from buying Samsung products as this seems to be a planned obsolescence (every comment of Samsung employees here in the forum points in that direction) and I'm not willing to accept that. Please prove that I'm wrong.

uservHhJsaSeMM
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I love my gears s3 even i have it for long time, i bought a new Smartwatch also but i love the style of gear s3. I did try everything to fix the problem but nothing was really helpful. I think the mail problem was software. Please let me know if you could find any solutions to fix it. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
userDkycTDRImC
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hi new here I am also getting the same problem and have tried all the same trouble shotting. This watch has just become an expensive paperweight since the sensors have stopped due to the UK update. 

0 Likes
uservmljeHek24
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

"Expensive paperweight" is a too hard judging. My Gear S3 still works as a watch, it still connects to my phone, just all sensors are gone. As this was caused by a faulty update from Samsung I guess a downgrade to the old software or a new version from Samsung would revive it but that's just guessing as it's not impossible (although very improbable) that the update damaged the hardware.

For me it's clear I won't buy any hardware from Samsung anymore until that bug is fixed. Providing the old software under a new version (so it gets installed) isn't that hard, should be something Samsung must do to keep existing customers. That bug already costed Samsung several thousands of dollars of only recommendations I've done against them.

userNd6fJTrrzr
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hi, I am having same problem, went to samsung service center, they downgraded to 4.0.0.2 after keeping watch for one day. and said everything is fine. after few hours sensors went dead again. I have updated to the latest software 4.0.0.4. and my watch sensors are still dead.

do you have a solution please let me know.