cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userb85gdD5O6F
Constellation

Re: Gear Sport Floor Count no correct

Hey! Just because someone walks up a hill rather than climbing a flight of stairs, their effort should still register. Also, it doesn't matter how slowly you have to do it, kudos for anyone who chooses to walk up a hill or climb a flight of stairs. Let's encourage each other, not be snarky elitists. And for the record, I'm on this thread because I have the exact same problem, where my Samsung isn't recording stairs properly. Lots of people have this problem. It's an issue that continues to go unaddressed from Samsung (apparently).
user665zS9HS4o
Constellation

I have been wearing my gear sport since Christmas.  At most it counts 1 floor per day even though I do about 20/30 daily. I representative on chat had me reset the watch loosing all info. Still no change. Flights of stairs are not registering. 

usergAjiX7tBTB
Constellation

I purchased the 46mm watch 3 weeks ago. It is fully up to date and connected to a Galaxy S9. 

My watch does not count floors. It has consistently said I only do 3 floors. This is incorrect as it should be closer to 30

userb85gdD5O6F
Constellation

So I just saw this post from a year ago, and I have basically the same issue. Was just given a gear fit 2 pro as a present. Have used it less than a week, with the SH app updated yesterday on my Samsung S9 phone. Feeling as though it wasn't reading accurately, so I fixed my fitbit last night and wore them side by side on the same wrist just now for a snowshoe around my property. The total distance of my loop is right around 2.5 miles, with an elevation gain of 200 feet. I have one hill that is fairly steep  with a gain of 100 feet over a distance of 100m. My fitbit recorded this workout handily as well as logging me at 19 floors. My Samsung watch shows far fewer steps, recorded it as half the distance, and only 3 floors climbed. Pretty much a bust in my opinion. 

MikeS1971
Asteroid

@userb85gdD5O6F wrote:

So I just saw this post from a year ago, and I have basically the same issue. Was just given a gear fit 2 pro as a present. Have used it less than a week, with the SH app updated yesterday on my Samsung S9 phone. Feeling as though it wasn't reading accurately, so I fixed my fitbit last night and wore them side by side on the same wrist just now for a snowshoe around my property. The total distance of my loop is right around 2.5 miles, with an elevation gain of 200 feet. I have one hill that is fairly steep  with a gain of 100 feet over a distance of 150m. My fitbit recorded this workout handily as well as logging me at 19 floors. My Samsung watch shows far fewer steps, recorded it as half the distance, and only 3 floors climbed. Pretty much a bust in my opinion. 

That's an apples to oranges comparison. FitBit and Samsung used different methods of counting floors. With FitBits  it doesn't matter how fast, was angle of climb, or weather you complete an entire floor at one time for floors to be counted. You can leisurely walk up a slight incline and eventually you'll get a floor counted. That's totally fine if all you care about is bragging about how many floors you've done instead of getting any real exercise to achieve those floors. 

Samsungs algorithm seems to take into account how quickly and how many steps are taken to climb the accepted amount of one floor (3 meters) at one time. So basically you need to put some effort into it.

As for step count. You can't take one over the other  You need to actually count the steps yourself to see which is correct. I've found FitBits to be pretty far off in both directions. You need to look at the display, walk 300-400 steps while counting and then compare. Neither one will be exact, but of all the step trackers I've used, FitBit was the most inaccurate  

userb85gdD5O6F
Constellation

So, my climbing the equivalent of ten flights of steps in 4 minutes is going too slow and shouldn't count? My 2.5 mile snowshoe (and yes, I know the distance as I have a map and a brain) should only be recorded as half the distance? That's rubbish. It's not apples to oranges to compare the Samsung watch to a fitbit as these are both watches with apps designed to measure steps/Cardio info/workouts/meals/water intake/etc. This is a direct comparison of two products billed to do the same thing, and one of them has some glaring issues.
kwagners
Cosmic Ray

@userb85gdD5O6F-

MikeS1971 is the literally the only person in this thread (or any of the others regarding floor counts of various Samsung watches)  who says his watch performs perfectly when it comes to counting floors.  Apparently, the dozens and dozens of the rest of us all got defective watches.  Or, we can't do math.  Or those of us with Fitbits just don't understand.

I fully agree that Fitbit's definition of a "floor" may be different from Samsung's. However, those of us who have measured the distance and find that it still doesn't count floors cannot be discounted

@userb85gdD5O6F wrote:
So, my climbing the equivalent of ten flights of steps in 4 minutes is going too slow and shouldn't count? My 2.5 mile snowshoe (and yes, I know the distance as I have a map and a brain) should only be recorded as half the distance? That's rubbish. It's not apples to oranges to compare the Samsung watch to a fitbit as these are both watches with apps designed to measure steps/Cardio info/workouts/meals/water intake/etc. This is a direct comparison of two products billed to do the same thing, and one of them has some glaring issues.

MikeS1971
Asteroid

I just understand how it's supposed to work. I know that the first to the second floor of my home is less than 3 meters and I don't expect it to count that as a floor. I know that the first to second floor at my work is a litte more than 3 meters and it counts that as a floor every time. I can get it on video if people want me to. 

It's just by testing how it counts floors that I figured how out it's done and it makes complete sense to me. I actually like how Samsungs count floors because it makes me work for it. Unlike the way FitBit does it. I also understand there are outside natural and man made reasons that can effect accuracy. 

I also understand why simply walking uphill may not count as floors climbed. It's not that difficult to figure out. Think about walking up a flight of stairs (3 meters). Usually 25-30 steps. Then think about how many seconds it takes you to do that at a moderate pace. Now, are people walking uphill, gaining 3 meters of altitude in the same amount of seconds as climbing a proper flight of stairs? Pretty good chance they aren't. It would have to be a fairly steep grade to do so. 

userb85gdD5O6F
Constellation

Yes, I'm walking up a hill that's gaining the same elevation as climbing 10 flights of stairs (100') over a short horizontal distance. I'm doing it continuously, ie, not pausing part way up. Because of the steepness of the climb, my heartrate becomes elevated. I move my arms with every step. "Floor" count still inaccurate. But here's the kicker. None of that freaking matters!!! It should not matter how LONG it takes you to climb a flight of stairs, you've still climbed a flight of stairs. Maybe you're out of shape and it takes a lot of effort on your part to get up those stairs. We can both climb a set of stairs and you might be able to do it in 20 seconds, but maybe it takes me two minutes It, or 10 minutes. However long it takes, it DOES NOT Matter!!! We both climbed a flight of stairs! Further, I got a rather high floor count the other day when I didn't climb any stairs, but I did do a lot of squatting and bending over and reaching above my head. So you can just stop preaching about how accurate the Samsung watch is. It isn't. 

Ptolemais
Constellation

I just got the gear sport. It has not counted 1 flight of stairs yet. I have taken my kids to playgrounds and been up and down slides and jungle gyms. I ran them going up and down some pretty steep inclines. I watch the altimeter. It changes, but not very accurately. I get to the top and it continues to climb for a bit and when i get to thw bottom it takes a bit ro stabilize. I too had a fitbit years ago. I was always amazed how acurate it was for floors. I would test it bc i couldnt believe it. Being inside should not matter. Stairs or hill should not matter. Time should not matter. The phone your connected to should not matter bc the sensors should all be running inside the watch. My husband and i used to do floor challenges. Breaking eachothers records. Guess not going to do that anymore. Smiley Sad