cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Supernova

Re: Gear Sport Floor Count no correct

Alright, thanks for letting us know!

Has anyone had this problem with Gear connected to a Samsung device?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

useruvKRFMVLy2
Constellation

I'm on my second gear and have the same issue. I was told to uninstall Samsung health on my phone as well when I got the new. It also doesn't count floors accurately.

userH3CDlHuFQy
Constellation

I've had issues with the floor count since I bought my Gear Sport in mid-January. My watch is paired to a Galaxy S8. I have checked to make sure that everything is up to date. I check for updates at least every other week.

Like many others have noted, I found that the floor count would not register inside my house (with 9 foot ceilings) unless I started by reaching to the floor for a few seconds and ended by reaching for the ceiling for a few seconds. It still wasn't consistent even then. Even stranger is the fact that walking up two flights of stairs also does not register anything without both crouching and reaching. I've been home shopping recently which has given me the chance to test the floor count on a couple dozen houses. It never catches the floors without crouching at the start and reaching at the end.

I work in a building with 15-16 ft between floors, and the watch usually (but not always) registers the actual number of floors I take. However, I feel that this is inaccurate as well. I would think that walking up 4 flights of these stairs would register as at least 5 but ideally 6 floors.

My watch isn't even registering the floors at work today. I've done 8 flights here and 1 flight at home today, but my watch shows 0.

userIyrt34GeGr
Astronaut

Has happened to me with Samsung Sport running on S8 Galaxy. All software up to date. Today I have done 18 flights of stairs, it is saying 8. Interestingly, this morning it went from 2 to 3 floors when I was walking on the one level (hadn't even been up one step).  It is consistently miscounting.

user594bXNOGi9
Astronaut

Same here, just bought the gear sport. Had it for two days, so far and it doesn't read my stairs at home. I have a two story home, with my bedroom upstairs. Why is it not registering the stairs I walk everyday?

Supernova

Thanks so much for reaching out, @user594bXNOGi9. Occasionally stairs are not counted when inside, have you been able to test this outside to see if you see this same behavior?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

kwagners
Cosmic Ray

@SamsungTrevor wrote:

Thanks so much for reaching out, @user594bXNOGi9. Occasionally stairs are not counted when inside, have you been able to test this outside to see if you see this same behavior?

I'm sorry, but I find this response totally unacceptable.  It sometimes has problems with stairs inside?!  That's where most of us will climb stairs - in fact, I don't even have easy access to outside stairs anywhere.

FYI, I've had this issue since the first day I put the watch on - on March 22, 2018.  It's completely up to date and is connected to an HTC 10 (not that *what* you connect to should have any bearing at all as to whether the watch can count stairs properly).  I wear a Fitbit One in my pocket and it is always correct.  The Gear Sport is usually off by 50% or more.  I don't understand how a $99 Fitbit can do something better than a ~$250 watch.

The building where I work has 15' ceilings, so counting for the depth of the upper floors, there is at least 16' inbetween floors.  Most of the time, I get credit for one floor. Sometimes none at all.  There's no reason users should have to bend down to the floor on the first floor and then reach for the ceiling on the second floor to make the watch count properly.

userD4yJkDc7Md
Constellation

I agree.  it's not sometimes... it's always. This is clear in this lengthy thread of complaints.  calling the help line is utterly useless.

The lack of acceptable response to fixing the issue has made me change my mind about samsung.  I've been a loyal customer for 10+ years,  but clearly samsung had gotten too big to care about its customers anymore.

The acceptable response to this would be to issue a recall and replace every single device with watches that work as advertised.

Samsung produced watches that counted stairs and steps more accurately before this one.  It makes no sense. 

Supernova

Hey, I hope you are doing well. I just wanted to reach out and see if you were able to test this outside. Do you still see this difficulty with tracking?

If you are able to fix for this please let us know.

If we can help you with anything else, please let us know and our community will be happy to help!

kbagrows
Asteroid

+1 for the same issue with stairs on my Gear Sport.  

And no, I have not been able to test this outside.  Frankly, I'm having a heard time thinking of a place to test it outside; most, if not all of the stairs I climbe are inside.