cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Supernova

Re: Gear Sport Floor Count no correct

@JayF: Can I get the following information?

Model Number

Software Version

MikeS1971
Asteroid

I think the biggest issue with the S3's ability to count floors is that users are expecting it work a certain way. 

I came from owning a FitBit for several years. Immediately I found that the Samsung didn't count floors the same way. In some ways, I think the Samsung does it better. 

I believe the Samsung as well as the FitBits uses differences in barometric pressure to determine elevation. Barometric pressure fluctuates  Outside and inside buildings. If you're in a two story building, where the vertical rise is close to 10 feet and there are barometric fluctuations  it's won't count that floor. If you're inside a residential home, one flight of stairs to the second floor is usually less than 10 vertical feet. So it won't count that as a floor.

Also, FitBits will take an accumulation of feet climbed and add them as a floor. Where as Samsung wants you to complete a full floor without interruption before it counts. Also seems with Samsung, the speed at which you climb that 10 vertical feet is taken into account. 

So when it comes down to it. Samsung devices seem to want you to be exercising for floors to count. Where FitBits let you lazily accumulate floors at any pace over time. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

Yes, I understand. I came from owning a Fitbit also. But I climb the same stairs everyday and sometimes the gear sport counts it but most of the time I’ll end up with 0 stair counts for the day. To me that isn’t right.  Also, since you came from being a Fitbit user can you help me understand why there are thousands step difference between my Fitbit and gear sport? I tested them to see whose one is more accurate. I wore both devices and when I check my steps, there about a 5,000 step difference. So I don’t know which device is more accurate in step counting. Thanks.

MikeS1971
Asteroid

One of the reasons I gave up on FitBit was inaccuracies in the step count. I'm finding the Samsung to be more accurate. My FitBit Blaze would fluctuate wildly by hundreds of steps while walking the same route. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

Ok...I was feeling that my gear sport was more accurate also with step count and calorie burning. The way Fitbit calculates my calorie burned I should be super skinny by now lol. But yeah, I really like my gear sport except for the stair counting. Thanks for your input. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

Model number SM R600

software version R600XXU1ARE2

Samsung Care Ambassador

Well my watch started to behave these past 2 days. Counted all the stairs I climbed. So weird. 

kwagners
Cosmic Ray

I wish I could say the same.  My Fitbit one registered 10 floors on Monday, 15 on Tuesday, and 19 yesterday.  The Gear Sport registered just 3 on Monday, 5 on Tuesday, and 2 yesterday.

I still don't know why a $99 Fitbit does the job better than a $250-300 Samsung watch...

@JayF wrote:

Well my watch started to behave these past 2 days. Counted all the stairs I climbed. So weird. 

MikeS1971
Asteroid

@kwagners wrote:

I wish I could say the same.  My Fitbit one registered 10 floors on Monday, 15 on Tuesday, and 19 yesterday.  The Gear Sport registered just 3 on Monday, 5 on Tuesday, and 2 yesterday.

I still don't know why a $99 Fitbit does the job better than a $250-300 Samsung watch...

@JayF wrote:

The FitBit counts floors differently, not necessarily better. FitBits way of counting floors seems to cheat you into thinking that you're accomplishing something. No matter how lazily, slow or incomplete you climb in elevation, the FitBit will count it as a floor. The Samsung seems to want to be actually exercising and climbing full floors with a goal.

It's actually kind of funny. FitBits are supposed to be fitness trackers and nothing else, but you don't really have to be doing anything active to achieve goals. While the Samsung S3 is a smart watch that does fitness tracking and it actually wants you to exercise to achieve goals. 

kwagners
Cosmic Ray

I'm sorry, but that's not my experience with either.

I live in a two-story house.  I work in a 4-story building.  When I climb flights of stairs at either place, the Fitbit is correct. Every. Single. Time.  There's no "cheating" to make me think anything.  If I climb 3 flights of stairs, I get credit for 3.  The Gear Sport isn't close - ever.

With the Fitbit, if I take my time slowing going up a flight of stairs - maybe even pausing at a landing half way up the stairs - it doesn't count that flight (been there and done that many times).  I have to take the full flight of stairs at a steady pace all the way up.

As for the Gear, it doesn't matter how fast or slow I take stairs - or how many flights at once.  I've had some luck with bending down and putting my hand on the floor for about 10 seconds at the bottom of the stairs and then extending my hand over my head at the top of the stairs - and then keeping it over my head for at least 10 seconds for the Gear to count it as a floor.  However, that seems to only work about 50% of the time.  Also, who in the world wants to do that just to get a stupid watch to give them credit for a flight of stairs?!

As for your belief that the Gear wants you to "excercise" while climbing stairs, just what the heck are you supposed to be doing?!  Because seriously, I have RUN up 4 flights of stairs and the Gear gave me credit for one. 

This thread was created 6 months ago this week.  Samsung's deafening silence on this issue for 6 full months is a clear sign that this *is* an issue - and definitely not a "feature" or the designed method of the watch for counting stairs.

@MikeS1971 wrote:

The FitBit counts floors differently, not necessarily better. FitBits way of counting floors seems to cheat you into thinking that you're accomplishing something. No matter how lazily, slow or incomplete you climb in elevation, the FitBit will count it as a floor. The Samsung seems to want to be actually exercising and climbing full floors with a goal.

It's actually kind of funny. FitBits are supposed to be fitness trackers and nothing else, but you don't really have to be doing anything active to achieve goals. While the Samsung S3 is a smart watch that does fitness tracking and it actually wants you to exercise to achieve goals.