cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeS1971
Asteroid

Re: Gear Sport Floor Count no correct

@kwagners wrote:

I'm sorry, but that's not my experience with either.

I live in a two-story house.  I work in a 4-story building.  When I climb flights of stairs at either place, the Fitbit is correct. Every. Single. Time.  There's no "cheating" to make me think anything.  If I climb 3 flights of stairs, I get credit for 3.  The Gear Sport isn't close - ever.

With the Fitbit, if I take my time slowing going up a flight of stairs - maybe even pausing at a landing half way up the stairs - it doesn't count that flight (been there and done that many times).  I have to take the full flight of stairs at a steady pace all the way up.

As for the Gear, it doesn't matter how fast or slow I take stairs - or how many flights at once.  I've had some luck with bending down and putting my hand on the floor for about 10 seconds at the bottom of the stairs and then extending my hand over my head at the top of the stairs - and then keeping it over my head for at least 10 seconds for the Gear to count it as a floor.  However, that seems to only work about 50% of the time.  Also, who in the world wants to do that just to get a stupid watch to give them credit for a flight of stairs?!

As for your belief that the Gear wants you to "excercise" while climbing stairs, just what the heck are you supposed to be doing?!  Because seriously, I have RUN up 4 flights of stairs and the Gear gave me credit for one. 

This thread was created 6 months ago this week.  Samsung's deafening silence on this issue for 6 full months is a clear sign that this *is* an issue - and definitely not a "feature" or the designed method of the watch for counting stairs.

That completely opposite of my experiences. 

With my FitBits, I can walk half way up a flight of stairs, walk back down then walk half way back up and it counts it a one floor. The Samsung doesn't do that, and it shouldn't. 

At home neither will register walking up to my second floor as one floor climbed. Because the second floor of a residential home isn't what either consider one full flight of stairs. But after walking back downstairs and back up again, the FitBit will count it. Because it accumulates total vertical feet climbed to add up to a total of a floor. Where as the Samsung wants you to complete a full flight (10 vertical feet) at one time to count as a floor. A residential home isn't 10 vertical feet to the second floor. If you're bending over a the bottom of the stairs and raising your hands at the top, you're cheating it into thinking you climbed a true flight of stairs. 

At my work, it's 14 vertical feet to the second floor, my Samsung registers that every time I go upstairs. Unless I walk too slowly or stop at some point along the way. Not saying you have to be sprinting upstairs, but if you go too slow, it won't register. The only time it's sometimes not as accurate is when the door at the bottom of the stairwell that leads outside is closed. But that's to be expected since the watch uses barometric pressure to calculate altitude. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

Yeah mine is temperamental...sometimes it’ll count all, some, or none. Sometimes I have to restart my gear to calibrate my alti-barometer. I dunno... maybe Samsung can hopefully send a software fix? Soon? Or however they can fix it so it consistently counts floors. 

kwagners
Cosmic Ray

Yes. 1,000 times, yes.

@userTsKVgvMi23 wrote:

+1 brand new sport it counts floors 15% of the time.

Food for thought: how many samsung employees does it take to fix floor counter?

And yes to any samsung employee the replies to me. My watch is up to date, every app is up to date. Have tried restart, complete battery depletion then full charge and try again. I'm using galaxy s8 which is up to date.

NEWS FLASH: ITS YOUR SOFTWARE.

useracIcgBYszV
Constellation

yes. On my second watch in less then a year and neither one calculated floors. I connect to a Samsung Galaxy 7

userLQdpB6qDNv
Constellation

Mine is not counting floors at all  I'm up to date on all software and I'm connected to a note 8  

user6c7SWWoaJw
Constellation

Yes.  My gear is synced to my s7 and I never get the correct floors count. 

useriuzqAOrMTz
Constellation

All of the sudden my Gear says i have climbed 20 - 30 flights of stairs and I have done zero.  I have reset twice.  Is there any fix?

MikeS1971
Asteroid

@useriuzqAOrMTz wrote:

All of the sudden my Gear says i have climbed 20 - 30 flights of stairs and I have done zero.  I have reset twice.  Is there any fix?

Hows the weather today in your area in relation to barometric pressure? High fluctuations in pressure can affect the floor count readings. 

Also, climbing floors in a well sealed, climate controlled building can have an opposite effect. Where very few or no floors get counted. 

useriuzqAOrMTz
Constellation

can altitude not being calibrated correctly affect the stair count?

userzhqG3Ywwlc
Astronaut

I believe you are looking at it wrong. The floors section isnt intended to count the amount of floors/stairs you are climbing, is that even possible?

What floors counts is the elevation of the land. Sometimes when Im out with the dog and I walk up a hill I reach 10 floors as the elevation is higher.

I can walk up and down stairs all day at home without it even counting one.

On a recent holiday in the Lakes I climbed a fell which reached to 70 floors on my Gear fit 2

Im not sure how much each floor counts as (at a guess one floor is one foot).