cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Gear s3 frontier battery drain

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same issue with me... I've had my Gear S3 Frontier for a couple months, and it's been great until this week. It charges fine and keeps the charge normally during the day, but loses it drastically overnight. Someone said in this forum to turn off bluetooth overnight, so I'll definitely try that tonight. Seems like it is trying to do something overnight per usual and getting stuck in that "loop" while we sleep. I also hope the fix is coming very soon... expensive bracelet.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So The only way I can get it to stop draining to 0 in about 3 hours is to turn off blue tooth and wifi. This is all connected to S-health and has made the watch useless.

CALL SUPPORT AND OPEN A CASE YOU GUYS!!!! They will not be aware of the issue. It is VERY widespread on facebook groups that are abount the Gear S3

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I too have had same battery drain.   No amount of reading and searching for the answere has inpmroved it at all.      

As an experiment I charged the battery and took the watch off the charge at 100%. I left the watch on the bench still in the off position.    After 3 or 4 days I started the watch and it said 100% battery.    Within 15 mins dropped to 94% and within an hour it was 89%.    

These watches have issues and have been sold to the public who willingly purchased thinking they were good value.    

Was there no research done regards the battery useage issue?

Surely its past time for a RECALL.    There are thousands of watches out there that are no doubt like mine,  thrown in the corner in a $370 unusable mess.

Not happy at all.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My question is how every battery in every Gear S3 has failed since early Monday morning when an update was pushed to the phones and/or watches.  Seems to me like Samsung doesn't want to admit that it is not a problem with the hardware but a bad update they need to roll back immediately.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I do not believe this is a battery failure issue. Like most people on this thread my Gear S3 had been working flawlessly since I bought it 5 months ago, getting 2-3 solid days of use before needing a recharge...until this past Monday. Then I started getting only 8-10 hours at most. After checking out and trying multiple suggestions on multiple sites, I finally found a combination of actions that fixed the problem (so far). I have now gone 30 hours and still have 58% charge left.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Made sure all apps are updated.

2. On smartphone, go to Galaxy Wearable/About Gear/Update Gear Software and turn off Download updates automatically

3.Go to Notifications/Manage Notifications and turn off everything except your most essential apps (only 7 for me). Also turn off all buttons on Notifications screen except Show only while wearing Gear, Auto show details, and Notification indicator

4. Go to Gear connection and only turn the top button on, bottom two off

5. I did not delete any of my watch faces (I have 8 custom faces)

6.  Go to Samsung Health and remove any functions that you don't really use (I kept 6)

7. Go to About Gear and Back up settings

8. After backup is complete, Power down your watch and reset it.

Hope this helps. It's worked for me. Love having my Gear S3 Frontier back!  

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update 3: I am still holding at about 3% per hour. I took my watch off the charger at 100% at 11 p.m.  At 8 a.m. it was at 73%. These are the steps I followed:

1. Turn off bluetooth and wi-fi in your watch
  2. In the Samsung Health app/setting (top right corner three dots)/turn off exercise detection
  3. Turn off automatic update
    Turn off the watch
    Charge the watch off to100%
  4. Turn the watch on
  5. Do not restore your phone
    Turn on bluetooth in your watch
  6. See what happens

I hope this helps someone

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My watch started doing this earlier this week. I find that it doesn't do it when I have the Bluetooth off. I just turn it on a couple times a day to sync with the health app, and during that time about 5% will drain from my battery but after I turn the BT off it doesn't drain quickly. And this was after I performed a full reset. That did not help at all.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So an update on my same issue. Turned off the report diagnostic and debug on the watch after a full reset. Issue seems to be resolved. I did uninstall s health and have getting totally normal use for two days.

I would to see if some one else can replicate the solution i did to see if this will help everyone.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The bottom line is that this is completely unacceptable, software has bugs I get it, but a rigorous testing process before release is all you need to avoid problems like this .

Needless to say I have the same problem and after trying almost everything my 3 month old Gear is back in its box and I have done a factory reset of my handset. Logging calls with Samsung has elicited nothing but a standard form based response indicating that I need to book both devices in for evaluation. I see no reason why I should be inconvenienced and book in the devices or have to mess around and spend hours messing with settings just to try and get the device to operate as advertised.

Sadly it was a good device and I enjoyed it for the 3 months that I got to use it before a poorly developed and poorly tested update was released. 

The timing however could not be better, I was in two minds about which device should be purchased and issued to 300 field agents and this has helped me make up my mind that it will definitely not be Samsung. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What device did you decide on? My S3 is 45 days old and I am pretty dissatisfied.