cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user9LsPMNOk7t
Asteroid

Re: Gear s3 frontier battery drain

Same issues here. My 1.5 year old S3 Frontier was getting through a 16 hour day - with AOD on, most other settings 'on', with about 45% battery remaining, or roughly 3.5% per hour.

Then suddenly a couple weeks ago - and I'm not even certain that it corresponded to the OneUI upgrade, because that I had done earlier - battery life plummetted, and I went from 100% to 0% in about 4-5 hours. Did soft reset, uninstalled and re-installed Gear software, did NOT restore any of my apps or watch faces, kept everything at default settings, and it still drained around 15-20% per HOUR.

I contacted Samsung and they acted like they'd never heard of this issue - suggested that it was a battery issue - "send it to us, and for $70 we'll replace your battery". Well I was dubious of this as the cause, so to rule it out I went ahead and replaced the battery myself today; I figured it couldn't hurt since the battery was 1.5 yrs old.  But guess what? After replacement I reset everything and....the draining issue is STILL THERE.

At this point I'm really disappointed;  this is ridiculous; its NOT the battery, and I'm clearly NOT the only one experiencing this issue, so what the heck Samsung?!

I'll probably continue resetting and toggling settings and following all of the weird rituals people have posted here and on other threads, at least for another day or so, before I throw this watch - and any future prospect of owning Samsung devices, into the garbage.

user9LsPMNOk7t
Asteroid

POSSIBLE SOLUTION - Re: Gear s3 frontier DRAMATIC battery drain

(posted this in a couple other threads, hopefully it helps)

Folks,

After watching my Frontier S3 battery use suddently go from 3-4%/hour to almost 20%/hour, I ran through many hoops with to no effect.

• Samsung wanted $70 to 'look at it and probably replace the battery'
  • Performed soft and hard-resets, reloading only default software
  • Uninstalled and re-installed Gear software, not restoring settings
  • Replaced the battery myself
  • Followed most magical voo-doo steps suggested by others on this forum

The only thing that slowed the battery drain was turning off AOD - but one of the main reasons I bought this device was AOD, so...I was about ready to chuck this thing in the trash when some blessed soul on Reddit suggested that I turn ON the 'Touch Wake-Up'  feature on the watch.

Huh? Turn on a feature that probably uses more battery? What does that have to do with...holy cr*p...it worked!  Apparently this is a 'known' bug (known to redditors but not Samsung Support I guess).

I'm back to 3-4%/hour drain. Amazing that such an critical and impactful bug hasn't been addressed by Samsung hotfix. Not surprising, but amazing.

Try it out and report back!

userF8QLMbwvkP
Asteroid

Re: Gear s3 frontier battery drain

My S3 Frontier was an excellent tool just one short week ago. Now with the shortened battery life accompanied with the latest software update, it is is just another elf on the shelf. 

The length of time it takes to repair this issue will certainly sway any future Samsung purchases.