cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GBarrington
Cosmic Ray

How well does The Gear 3 connect with Moto Z2 Play? any Moto users out there?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recently replaced my Galaxy S5 with a Moto Z2 Play, and I'm satisfied with this midrange phone.  However, the best part of my Galaxy  experience was SHealth.  I found this app to be perfect for tracking my Type 2 Diabetes issues.  I'm looking to find a replacement for my 1st gen moto 360 and I thought maybe the Gear Sport or the Frontier S3 might be suitable and provide a complete SHealth experience for my Moto.

I'll be honest though, the Amazon user reviews have me a bit nervous about the most recent Samsung watches when connecting to non Samsung phones, so I'm considering possibly the latest HuaWei phones.

So does anyone have any experience with Moto Phones and Gear watches?  

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GBarrington
Cosmic Ray

Re: How well does The Gear 3 connect with Moto Z2 Play? any Moto users out there?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks  to those who read my original post!  But I guess I have to assume from the silence that no one really trusts a Moto/Samsung Gear pairing.  That's too bad, I've become really attracted to the gear sport, it has a lot of features that would be perfect for me.  I will return to Androi. . .  oops! Sorry, I mean Google Wear and reexamine the watches available.  Again, Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
GBarrington
Cosmic Ray

Re: How well does The Gear 3 connect with Moto Z2 Play? any Moto users out there?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Anyone?

GBarrington
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks  to those who read my original post!  But I guess I have to assume from the silence that no one really trusts a Moto/Samsung Gear pairing.  That's too bad, I've become really attracted to the gear sport, it has a lot of features that would be perfect for me.  I will return to Androi. . .  oops! Sorry, I mean Google Wear and reexamine the watches available.  Again, Thanks.

GBarrington
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, I ended my "analysis paralysis" last night and bought a Gear 3 Frontier new. (I don't trust used)  I will report back on its connectivity and functionality when I get it, if anyone is interested.  I WAS going to re examine Android wear watches, but the only two that interested me was the Huawei and the Tic Watch E.  

I worried that Huawei would pull out of North America given the latest news, and the smaller screen size worried me some.  The Tic Watch sounded great, but I couldn't get reliable user reviews on the heart rate monitor; and besides, I REALLY want to use the S-Health app, it's perfect for tracking all the things I need to track as a diabetic.  There really isn't anything else quite like it.   But frankly, I'm still a bit skittish buying a Tizen Watch.  

GBarrington
Cosmic Ray

FYI, It works great!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My fears about the Frontier S3's comaptibility was unfounded.  All the important stuff is there.  Most importantly, SHealth syncs between watch and phone.  I really like SHealth and wanted to keep on using it.  Many reviews say the S3 Frontier is heavy, but I don't think so, Seems OK to me, and I'm OLD and weak!  The text is a tad small for my eyes on the watch, but I can read it.

I have only 2 minor issues, and one medium issue to resolve.

• I'm having trouble playing Pandora on the phone through the BT headphones connected to the watch.
  • It isn't clear to  me if Samsung Pay and the SOS call is functional on my phone.  I've been reluctant to try either (esp SOS) since the set up seems time consuming to do, only to find out it doesn't work.  Beides, I can alsways use Android pay on the phone, if I need to.

The medium issue is I can't get My Fitness Pal to sync up info with SHealth. Especially the diet diary.  It's SO much easier to enter stuff in MFP, I'd really like to enter my dietary stuff in MFP and have it show up in SHealth.

Beyond that, I'd say to Motorola users, buy this with confidence.  I'd give it a solid 4 stars out of 5, and I'd raise it to 5 if I can get the minor/medium issues resolved to my satisfaction.

user6YLxIezJr3
Constellation

Re: FYI, It works great!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you managed to transfer music files? I haven't been able to get the gear app to see music files on my Moto Z Play

GBarrington
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've been able to transfer the music and photo files to the watch with no problem via the Samsung Gear app.

However, the music app on the watch only seems to allow you to control stop music, start music, skip to next song on the Google music player and the Amzn music player.  The music itself gets played on the phone.  and as near as I can tell, volume must be controlled on the phone, and you need headphones that can connect to both the phone and the watch at the same time (if you want to use headphones).  

I listen to Pandora at the gym on my phone, with headphones, and skip music on Pandora with the watch.  It isn't quite as kludgy as it sounds, but it isn't a seamless integration, either.  Maybe Samsung really DOES need to investigate WearOS a bit more.  I know I'd LOVE to be able to use SHealth on an android watch. (SHealth is the best and most complete health app I've found so far.)

The watch only seems to be able to offer complete control to those tracks that physically reside on the watch.  Until the other music services offer a Tizen version, I'm thinking that is how this will have to work.

BTW, I gave up on "My Fitness Pal".

user6YLxIezJr3
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the quick response. I find that the gear app on my phone only sees mp3 files in the root folder and not the ones in the music folder! A bit strange. I had to move files to the root folder in order for it to discover them and copy them over. 

Will be trying it out in the gym today. 

LAVAmonster0331
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I know this is old but hopefully can help a bit. I recently got a Samsung S3 frontier smart watch AND have a Moto z force 2. So far I've had zero issues with any syncing or cross overs. I followed the watch screen directions, downloaded Samsung apps from play market and it's working like a dream.

Caveat is this. I also use Apple Music (insert gasp of using apple app on Droid phone...) And I can control the music player from my phone. So far this is the ONLY draw back I have found, if that's it I can live happily with it lol.

Hope this helps someone down the road.