cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
user3OARYGrpIC
Constellation

New Galaxy watch not working with Samsung pay

I went to use my Samsung pay on my new Galaxy watch at the grocery store and the card reader would not recognize my watch. I had to use my Phone to finalize my payment. Tried the watch at another store and had the same issue. I did not have this issue with my gear S3 watch at either of these stores. Is anyone having this issue and how to fix it. I called tech support and got nowhere. 

9 REPLIES 9
userG1thle1yZg
Asteroid

Re: New Galaxy watch not working with Samsung pay

It is because someone at Samsung changed the technology on the Galaxy Watch. 

The gear s3 has NFC and MST technology to use for Samsung pay. The MST is the magnetic strip coil that makes it so Samsung works at almost every credit card terminal and iPhone does not. BUT now Samsung has removed the MST technology from the new watch making it as bad as an apple pay product with NFC only. Just return the watch.

I had mine for 14 hours when I figured it out. I didn't even go home went straight to store to return the watch. 

userewVyeGAFAH
Astronaut

I had the same exact experience today. My gear S3 worked fine but my Galaxy watch did not work so I had to finish with my phone. I really hope the other comment about changing the technology isn't true

Sgtmac86
Constellation

This is definatly true, Samsung did not keep MST with the galaxy watch, NFC only

user0ifuh2QC6O
Constellation

New Galaxy watch not working with Samsung pay

My Samsung Pay works perfectly on my Samsung 9+.  When I tried to use Samsung Pay on my new Rose gold Galaxy Watch, it did NOT work. I tried and failed at 3 different places.  The salesclerk said customers have paid using Apple Pay which worked.  . . need I say more 

userQT386Bk0mm
Constellation

Yes. I'm going to Avoid the new Galaxy Watch due it's lack of MST, and the fact that the vast majority of places I use it can't support NFC today.
userKStD4XTbok
Constellation

I just spoke with Verizon, Samsung, and Samsung Pay. They are "looking into the issue". I had a gear 3 until Oct 31 and I used it every where! My beautiful NEW Rose Gold 42mm Galaxy watch has only worked in 1 place. I told the Samsung support guy about NFC vs MST and he said ther is no documentation as such and the specs for the Gear 3 or the galaxy watch do not address whether if it is there or not. The proof that something is different, other than I used my Gear 3 almost everywhere and it worked fine, I tried to pay with my galaxy watch at a non NFC reader and it did NOT work, I then scanned the card reader with my phone and it worked. This is NOT acceptable! this is one of the mian reasons I use my watch.  Of course, I am past the 14 day return policy at Verizon, go figure! 

Question to the Samsung community, is MST a hardware or a software issue? If it is a software issue, they can generate an update, right? If it is a hardaware issue... I'm out of luck! ( i was not able to post my original word!) Sooooooo disappointed! 

userKStD4XTbok
Constellation

After 5.5 hours on the phone, yes, 5.5 hours and I have the phone records to prove it, it has been confirmed by Samsung and Samsung Pay, MST hardware and software feature on the new Galaxy Watch- all models, is NOT there. What this means is that if you were using a Gear3 and Samung Pay, you could pretty much use it everywhere, about 99 out of 100 transactions. The new Galaxy Watch is only NFC compitable which is about 1 out 100 transactions. This is a hardware issue, there is no "update" that will fix this. Maybe Samsung will learn from their S6 phone oopsies that took away the expandable  SD memory card slot and bring back MST on the next watch release. I am now stuck with trying to sell a $380 watch because I am a few days out of the 14 days return policy and Verizon will only give me the trade in value of $140. 

Samsung... get your in a group and realize when you have a good thing. Add features to new and improved products, not delete stuff people use! Your product designers should have to return their bonuses for not being intouch with the customrs and end user. You should also have a voluntary recall for exsisting customers to put MTS back in the Galaxy Watch Series. 

userbZje9UE6sy
Constellation

I had the same problem with the watch,  i have the S3 and it's perfectly fine and working like a charm. I contacted samsung support,  samsung pay support too and they avoided answering my concerns and insisted that i need to send my brand new "3 days old" watch to the service department and get it checked. I thought this can't be right,  it's brand new. I checked all these comments and decided to return it before my 14 day window.

I'm not sure who made the decision of removing this technology from the new watch but messed up bog deal. I'm sure i'm not buying the galaxy watch without fixing this issue.

userQT386Bk0mm
Constellation

I'm Enjoying my NEW Gear S3 Frontier, which I specifically chose over the new Galaxy Watch.

I just used it at Kings Island on some POS Terminals that are at least 10 years old, and will be there for several more years.

I do have to say that it actually worked way BETTER with my S3 watch than it did with my Galaxy phone.

It wasn't nearly as hard to find the sweet spot with my watch as it is with the phone.

While I understand the logic of deciding to Skip MST when it's only really used in South Korea and the US, I disagree with their decision.  The reason why people are Frustrated with this non-swipe payment technologies is because of the number of tries it takes OR that it's NOT taken consistently everywhere.  It causes people to Stop using the service and just reach for a physical card.

While I'm sure there are some accurate metrics out there, I don't have them.  So In My Opinion, it's going to be at least 2-3 more years before their is a large enough base of ACTIVATED NFC capable terminals before we can get to a consistent 'success' rate for people using NFC to make this a good transition for the consumer.  I say that because not all places that have these terminals are activating the NFC capabilites, so people will TRY to use the Galaxy Watch and then get frustrated and give up.  

I do think they should have made a Specific model of the Galaxy watch that had the MST capability for the US and S.Korean markets.

I do wonder if there is a hashtag for this on twitter or something.  like #LoveMyMSTWatch  

If anyone can think of a way to get Samsung's attention to this, do speak up.!