JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Problem with yahoo and Gear Sport

(Topic created: 03-11-2019 07:31 AM)
pvdiamon
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
I use Yahoo mail. I have it setup that one of the 4 mail accounts is to vibrate on the S8 phone. However, unless I allow ALL the accounts to notify me with vibration on the watch, it won't vibrate on the phone at all. In other words, if I don't want Yahoo mail notifications on the watch, it won't vibrate on the phone either. Is there something I'm missing so that Yahoo won't vibrate on the watch, but will work normally on my phone with vibrate notifications?
0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
pvdiamon
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

OK, I think I fixed this problem although I'm not confident yet it is solved.  I went into PHONE Settings>Sounds>Volume.  There, I found that my Notifications setting was off.  Maybe an update did that? So sliding that back on seems to have fixed this: Now my one Yahoo account that should vibrate seems to be doing so.  But here is why I'm not confident, and how non intuitive this setting seems to be.  I can only slide it up for sound, when phone is on Vibrate. So why did that effect Vibrate? Further, even when it was down/off for Vibrate aAND Sound, Gmail vibrated, as did texts.  So why did Yahoo require this? And now I am wondering, whose design is this? Is it a Yahoo problem, Android problem, Samsung problem, or perhaps even Verizon? There are way too many non intuitive settings for sound and vibration.

View solution in context

0 Likes
8 Replies
SamsungLarryK
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Have you attempted to turn off the notification for Yahoo in the Galaxy wearable app?

0 Likes
pvdiamon
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Yes, I have turned it off for the wearable, so the watch gets no notifications.  But I can't get the phone to vibrate for that specific yahoo account.  If I turn the notification on for the watch, then phone and watch both vibrate.  It seems like either all or none is my option. 

0 Likes
SamsungLarryK
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Under notifications in the wearables app, find the app in question and make sure it is not highlighted. Then go to your phone's settings, visit notifications, and make sure that the app is highlighted.

0 Likes
pvdiamon
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

In wearables app, Yahoo mail is turned off.  In the phone, the notification for Yahoo mail is turned on.  I get notifications on the phone, but the settings for each Yahoo mail account are not working properly. For the one mail account I want to have a vibrate notification, it will not vibrate despite set to do so.  On the wearable, if I turn ON the Yahoo notification, then both vibrate.  SO, with it OFF set for wearable app, and ON set for phone app, it will not vibrate on the phone or the watch.

0 Likes
SamsungLarryK
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I understand now. If the notifications for Yahoo are turned on it's for all of Yahoo and vice versa.

0 Likes
pvdiamon
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Let me make sure that's clear. If notifications are ON for watch, all four Yahoo mail accounts vibrate on watch.  If notifications are OFF for watch, none of the four Yahoo mail accounts will vibrate on the phone.

0 Likes
pvdiamon
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
I'm finding the Yahoo app for the Android phone (or at least for my Galaxy S8) is a bit difficult to set up. It has a choice in Notifications>System Settings for Mail and also for Product Notifications. I don't really understand what a Product Notification is, but it allows the same as Mail does (sounds or vibrate or silent). It would seem obvious to set each mail account up using those Sound or Vibrate settings. But I find that it does odd things, including requiring the Importance level (another option besides Sound and Vibrate) to be set to high for sounds to work properly. That is very non intuitive. And it makes me wonder where else one can go wrong. I found nothing using Google search for Product Notification, and no You Tube to help show how to set up all of these variables with the current version of Yahoo Mail for Android. It seems having the Wearable involved, even if turned off, just confounds all of these settings and then the app does not work well. I tried to point this out to Yahoo, and they want to turn it back on to Samsung. It would also be nice to know if I am unique with this problem, but finding someone with a need to customize FOUR Yahoo mail accounts, who also has a Samsung wearable, has not been easy, even trying to check bulletin boards etc. It may mean time to transition to Gmail, but that's a hassle too.
0 Likes
Solution
pvdiamon
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

OK, I think I fixed this problem although I'm not confident yet it is solved.  I went into PHONE Settings>Sounds>Volume.  There, I found that my Notifications setting was off.  Maybe an update did that? So sliding that back on seems to have fixed this: Now my one Yahoo account that should vibrate seems to be doing so.  But here is why I'm not confident, and how non intuitive this setting seems to be.  I can only slide it up for sound, when phone is on Vibrate. So why did that effect Vibrate? Further, even when it was down/off for Vibrate aAND Sound, Gmail vibrated, as did texts.  So why did Yahoo require this? And now I am wondering, whose design is this? Is it a Yahoo problem, Android problem, Samsung problem, or perhaps even Verizon? There are way too many non intuitive settings for sound and vibration.

View solution in context

0 Likes