JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Gear S2 fast battery drain January 2017

(Topic created: 08-03-2017 11:50 AM)
userZ38hlUFMlP
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S2 (non phone version) has been running with no battery issues where it would last up to 36 hours. Bluetooth active, Sleep as Android etc. I started to get a cache full on my S7 in late January 2017 so I told it to clear cash and it seemed to start the problem. I did have music on my watch and had about 1 gb of memory left.

The battery started to last maybe 5 to 6 hours. I did a full reset/rebuild on the watch and went to base settings but it only added a couple of hours.  

Based on use and past performance I have to believe that it was a recent update to either the watch or phone.  

Please advise as to issue cause and how to restore the watch to it's former battery capacity.

Gear 2 

model SM-R732

Tinzen 2.3.2.1

SoftwareR732XXU2EPK5

Knox 2.0.0

Knox Tinzenwearable 1.0.0

Tima 3.0.0

Galaxy S7  edge

Gear App

Device SM-G935P

Device Name: Gear S2 8CD3

Samsung gear app  - 2.2 16101261

Gear S Plugin - 2.2.03. 16111661

188 Replies
SamsungViv
Neutron Star
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hello there, @userZ38hlUFMlP. We're glad you reached out here with your concern.
Please check for any pending updates to apps and operating systems, for both your S7 Edge and Gear 2. Also, do you happen to remember downloading anything to the Gear 2 shortly before the change? Not necessarily an operating system update but maybe just a new app.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userlol8vuaIWf
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I have also had this same issue with my gear S2 paired with S7.  My gear S2 battery would previously last 2 days.  As of 3 days ago, it now doesn't even make it through a day.  No change in usage, and I added no new apps.

0 Likes
Bob_D
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Same for me. Did you find a solution?

0 Likes
useroUFL2nROx1
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I just replaced the battery just 2 months ago and everything was fine.  Batter would only last 4 hours.  Just put a brand new battery in last night, charged all night, exact same thing.  

0 Likes
useriG84o6otYB
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

hi, where did u buy a new battery...i cant find one

0 Likes
userHyEfHX8Izw
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

On your watch go to settings, gear info and then reset. It will do a factory reset for me it worked out great because I did not install very much since I got the watch it takes about 6 or 7 minutes to complete the process when it asks you to install the app on your phone you don't have to because it's already there it can be reused. I was going from 100% to 40% in 6 hours. I have worn it 8 hours and I am now at 93%

0 Likes
usern2hRwvdLax
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I did a factory reset this morning. 4hrs &38 min from last full charge I'm at 82%. Did not restore backup.  I've deleted most of the watch faces that came with watch.  Turned off Samsung workout detection.  Deleted all apps I could except. Stop watch, timer and memo voice from the uninstall apps section.  Only have 6 notifications enabled.

I forgot to turn off WiFi, just did.  App is still learning us sage patterns for battery, will not give me a time left yet.  Also note I have not updated apps, not installed anything.  I want to test a full battery cycle, maybe a week.

If i do not get satisfactory results in addition to the above I will.  uninstall from phone and do a reset on watch again.

0 Likes
useraut7MjFxoe
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hi guys and girls. I may have a solution!

Thanks for all the post in here I have read most of them and tried most of the things suggested, unfortunately without any luck..

I have an S2 classic with the same problems, battery drainage in a matter of hours.. main consumer "Contacts" at up to 70% of usage For instance, good example this morning ; Fully charged in the morning when i left for work at 6AM and down 30% around 9AM

Today however I tried something else, I turned off "Sync wifi profiles" in the Gear app on my Galaxy S8, it's located under the "Gear-connections" tab in the Gear app settings. 

And I'm very happy to report that it seems to have done the trick, the battery was at 30% and it actually bounced back to 32% with half an hour (and up to 34% after one hour), despite me checking every other minute to see the results (which will inevitably putt more strain on the battery)

All other functions are activated, so S-health, watch face, step counter and so on are all running.

I have now checked the status for over an hour and it's still on 34%, "Contacts" app is still showing a huge consumption but after the first hour it's gone down from 70% to 61% and I guess (fingers crossed) it will continue to fall to an acceptable level of battery usage.

So I'd like share my "solution" with you all, and hopefully it will work for everybody and it's not just a fluke on my Gear S2

If this has been suggested by others in the past please accept my apologies for missing this when I read thorough the discussion.

TJ

useraut7MjFxoe
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Quick update to my last post

After I posted I got my spare charger and charged the S2.

I waited until it was at 100%, now half an hour after I started using it the "contacts" are not even on the list of battery consumers and the top one is watch face at 24% (not official Samsung app)

Expected battery life is 13h 19m at 97%, so not the best but given that it used up 70% in under 3 hours prior to my fix it great!

hope this helps 🙂

TJ