JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Gear S2 fast battery drain January 2017

(Topic created: 07-17-2018 10:14 PM)
userZ38hlUFMlP
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S2 (non phone version) has been running with no battery issues where it would last up to 36 hours. Bluetooth active, Sleep as Android etc. I started to get a cache full on my S7 in late January 2017 so I told it to clear cash and it seemed to start the problem. I did have music on my watch and had about 1 gb of memory left.

The battery started to last maybe 5 to 6 hours. I did a full reset/rebuild on the watch and went to base settings but it only added a couple of hours.  

Based on use and past performance I have to believe that it was a recent update to either the watch or phone.  

Please advise as to issue cause and how to restore the watch to it's former battery capacity.

Gear 2 

model SM-R732

Tinzen 2.3.2.1

SoftwareR732XXU2EPK5

Knox 2.0.0

Knox Tinzenwearable 1.0.0

Tima 3.0.0

Galaxy S7  edge

Gear App

Device SM-G935P

Device Name: Gear S2 8CD3

Samsung gear app  - 2.2 16101261

Gear S Plugin - 2.2.03. 16111661

188 Replies
SamsungAl
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Just checking in to see if the troubleshooting steps provided work for you?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
usernJpL4cUE3l
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

@SamsungAl wrote:

I have tried the various solutions that have been suggested here, and none has worked as yet. The power drain has become rather drastic, and seems to be increasing. The idea, further, that the owners are smart watches are going to have to reduce the efficacy of the product to use it really defeats the purpose.

Regardless of solutions tried or suggested, it is painfully obvious that the problems here are directly related to updates from Samsung. It may also have to do with the completely useless DirecTV remote that has recently appeared, but I cannot say that for certain.

One could surmise that the Samsung updates, geared, pardon the pun, toward the Gear S3 and perhaps the upcoming Gear S4, have requirements that the Gear S2 versions simply cannot keep up with. The watch faces alone tell the story, considering that most of them have  Gear 3 all over them. These updates are causing the S2's to ramp up, thus draining the he11 out of the battery and overheating the watch.

As this has not started until the two most recent updates, the solution is easily grasped: update specifically the gear S2 versions with more original software, and reconfigure is needed.

0 Likes
SamsungKim1
Supernova
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

@userC1r8Z09UOr; regretfully, there are no authorized methods for reverting software/apps. 

0 Likes
userd7dhJL8m9p
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Is there anyone at Samsung that can respond in any meaningful way to this known issue?  My watch now has the dreaded Battery-Drain update as of the last week or so. It's paired with a S7 Edge.  The only way to stop the leak is to turn BT off in the watch connections, which obviously defeats the purpose of a "smart" watch.  I've done the factory reset, SGear App reinstall, disabling SHealth Notifications, removing CNN app of Gear, etc.   I created a ticket with Samsung and they had no clue how to deal with it other than to send it in to have it re-flashed or go to a Best Buy (LOL) and have a Samsung rep look at it to see if hardware is the issue.  As if they don't know its a software issue related to failed updates.  I'm wondering if this was intentional to get us to upgrade to Gear S3, and I am not likely to purchase any more Samsung phones/devices if they keep ingnoring us.  Based on this and similar forums, this has been going one for well over a year for some people.

0 Likes
usercDSk4ikRyV
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I have the Gear S2 3G model from AT&T. It appears to me that the mobile network setting is causing my battery drain. I have it set to auto so that when my watch is out of range of the phone or Wi-Fi it operates independently on the 3G network and then switches back to wi-fi or bluetooth when in rage. The problem is that once it enables the mobile network it doesn't shut it off and then I experience the massive battery drain.  I have fixed this by toggling the mobile network setting in the connections menu on the watch to on, then back to auto, then to off, then back to auto, and then reset the watch. Seems to do the trick every time I get the battery drain after using the mobile network. It's unfortunate that Samsung does not feel it neccessary to address this issure.

0 Likes
usereONghLwBgT
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Yes it definitely is. Bc I took back to Verizon and they said Samsung is aware. But no solutions has been given. Then they ask me if i i would to upgrade like really absolutely not.

0 Likes
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hey guys, can we get the following information from everyone experiencing these issues?

Model Number 

Software Version

0 Likes
usernJpL4cUE3l
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Gear S2

R730A

R730AUCU3DRC1

The battery drain just started today, when another glorious new update came through. Much like last update a couple of months ago or so, when today's new update came through, my Gear reset, dumping content. Last time, several Gear 2 watch faces, some of which I have actually bought, disappeared, never to be found again, in favor of more recent Gear 3 models. And yes,  before I get asked,  it was  quite obvious duetto the update; the configuration of several screens changed in addition to the content being dumped.

Today  it reset again, though I was able to find at least one of the watch faces I had bought this time around. However, the battery began losing charge at a rate of around 1% per 5 minutes. If you do the math, that's around 8.3 hours at maximum charge, whereas I was getting through around 14 to 16 before the Gear started losing enough charge to worry about.

I don't know what is going on over there at Samsung, but I am a legally blind user who can't afford to have his electronics suddenly randomly changing or dumping things that he could see, or options that he needs to use daily. This is the third time that a deeply inconvenient and problematic issue has resulted from an update in both Gear and Galaxy S8+. You folks had better get your stuff together over there. You're not so far ahead of the competition that you can rest either on your laurels are on your brand name.

0 Likes
usernJpL4cUE3l
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

@SamsungMichelle wrote:

Hey guys, can we get the following information from everyone experiencing these issues?

Model Number 

Software Version

@SamsungAl wrote:

I have tried the various solutions that have been suggested here, and none has worked as yet. The power drain has become rather drastic, and seems to be increasing. The idea, further, that the owners are smart watches are going to have to reduce the efficacy of the product to use it really defeats the purpose.

Regardless of solutions tried or suggested, it is painfully obvious that the problems here are directly related to updates from Samsung. It may also have to do with the completely useless DirecTV remote that has recently appeared, but I cannot say that for certain.

One could surmise that the Samsung updates, geared, pardon the pun, toward the Gear S3 and perhaps the upcoming Gear S4, have requirements that the Gear S2 versions simply cannot keep up with. The watch faces alone tell the story, considering that most of them have  Gear 3 all over them. These updates are causing the S2's to ramp up, thus draining the he11 out of the battery and overheating the watch.

As this has not started until the two most recent updates, the solution is easily grasped: update specifically the gear S2 versions with more original software, and reconfigure is needed

0 Likes
usernJpL4cUE3l
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hey, any lawyers of the group? This is starting to look like a recall / class-action kind of moment. There is obviously a problem inherent in the product, which dozens if not hundreds of customers are experiencing.