JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Gear S2 fast battery drain January 2017

(Topic created: 09-06-2018 02:42 PM)
userZ38hlUFMlP
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S2 (non phone version) has been running with no battery issues where it would last up to 36 hours. Bluetooth active, Sleep as Android etc. I started to get a cache full on my S7 in late January 2017 so I told it to clear cash and it seemed to start the problem. I did have music on my watch and had about 1 gb of memory left.

The battery started to last maybe 5 to 6 hours. I did a full reset/rebuild on the watch and went to base settings but it only added a couple of hours.  

Based on use and past performance I have to believe that it was a recent update to either the watch or phone.  

Please advise as to issue cause and how to restore the watch to it's former battery capacity.

Gear 2 

model SM-R732

Tinzen 2.3.2.1

SoftwareR732XXU2EPK5

Knox 2.0.0

Knox Tinzenwearable 1.0.0

Tima 3.0.0

Galaxy S7  edge

Gear App

Device SM-G935P

Device Name: Gear S2 8CD3

Samsung gear app  - 2.2 16101261

Gear S Plugin - 2.2.03. 16111661

188 Replies
knightsurgeon
Neutron Star
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hello @Shinobininja, please be sure to clear all recently used apps in the background, because that will cause your battery to drain as well even when you are not using the watch.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Shinobininja
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Yes I do but if the watch is turned off it really shouldn't matter...

0 Likes
knightsurgeon
Neutron Star
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Just to confirm, it dies while powered completely off?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Shinobininja
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Yes that is correct it could be 100% if I turn it off after a couple hrs it's at like 60% if its after a day or 2 it is dead completely. It is a refurbished watch so I cant expect it to work brand new but it's still weird.

0 Likes
knightsurgeon
Neutron Star
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Okay, yeah that is not normal for it to drain that much, maybe a slight drain. I would recommend having a service tech look at the Gear S2 to see if they have any suggestions. 

0 Likes
Shinobininja
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I plan on just getting an s3 or waiting for the 4 if its coming soon.

0 Likes
Christian_D
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
@User89898989 it is just the bluetooth version. I posted about 10 times in this forum detailing everything I saw with my S2. All the details of the watch, phone, t-shooting attempts, symptoms, etc.... I was out of town this last weekend, but I am going to charge my watch and see if that resolve fixes it. If not, then suffice to say, it's basically a shiny paper weight. As the 6 hours of battery time makes the watch practically useless as it wont even last through a work day.
0 Likes
SamsungKim1
Supernova
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Please keep us posted with the results.

0 Likes
userxOkTBMl4M6
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hi all,

As I previously explained I used a solution that has worked for 6 months without any problem after I did it.

I unregistered the s2 from the phone I had registered with a battery lasting of about 4 hours.

I get a new non Samsung phone, and install the gear app in the phone, reset all the watch and register the s2 with the new phone. Then the battery issue solved itself.

Then I uninstall the gear app from my first phone, unregister the s2 from the second phone and register again with the first one.

I did this six month ago, and my S2 returned to 1.5 days of use with bluetooth, wifi, all messages comming to the phone as at the begining of the use with the new s2.

Just try. It worked for me.

For me it seems a problem of sync between the phone and the watch that leaves any inconsistency that makes the phone and the watch try so sync continuously traying to solve the problem.

Let me know if this worked for anyone else..

0 Likes
Christian_D
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

@knightsurgeon @User89898989

Okay.. today is the big day... first off.. the watch is working on updating. 

As far as the fix to clear the data and cache on the shealth and the gear app... I had the s health app completely disabled on the phone because that was one of the attempted solutions provided earlier in one of these posts.   I just re-enabled it.. and cleared all the cache and data.  Cleared the data on the gear app also.  Powered on the watch.

I havent used the watch in quite a while so it just updated..  Went through the whole process to re-sync to the phone.  Basically completely factory reset.  Watch face is set to pre-loaded samsung face "Modern Utility"  I haven't used after-market faces.. because "That causes excessive drain"   Watch face set to always off unless you 'flick it to look at it" or movement.  

Current information on the watch  -

model SM-R732

tizen ver - 2.3.2.7

software ver - R732XXU2FRC1

Knox ver - 2.1.0

Watch has been on for about 40 mintes... The back of the watch is warm.. it's already at 78%.   Might be because all of the updates that just happened this morning and re-setting up the watch.  So time will tell.. if at noon the watch battery is significantly reduced then we will know.

Again.. this is a NON 3G watch.. Blue tooth only.   Samsung Galaxy Note 4, yes I still use it because it works.  (Really want a Note 9, but this watch and the Note 7 have shaken my confidence in Samsung recently) .  

0 Likes