JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Gear S2 fast battery drain January 2017

(Topic created: 09-21-2018 05:00 AM)
userZ38hlUFMlP
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S2 (non phone version) has been running with no battery issues where it would last up to 36 hours. Bluetooth active, Sleep as Android etc. I started to get a cache full on my S7 in late January 2017 so I told it to clear cash and it seemed to start the problem. I did have music on my watch and had about 1 gb of memory left.

The battery started to last maybe 5 to 6 hours. I did a full reset/rebuild on the watch and went to base settings but it only added a couple of hours.  

Based on use and past performance I have to believe that it was a recent update to either the watch or phone.  

Please advise as to issue cause and how to restore the watch to it's former battery capacity.

Gear 2 

model SM-R732

Tinzen 2.3.2.1

SoftwareR732XXU2EPK5

Knox 2.0.0

Knox Tinzenwearable 1.0.0

Tima 3.0.0

Galaxy S7  edge

Gear App

Device SM-G935P

Device Name: Gear S2 8CD3

Samsung gear app  - 2.2 16101261

Gear S Plugin - 2.2.03. 16111661

188 Replies
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

@Christian_D: Do you have any unused apps open in the background on the Gear itself?

0 Likes
Christian_D
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

@SamsungMichelle  : No Ma'am I do not.  For that whole day, I was very careful to keep the watch as unused as possible.   I turned the watch on in the morning after charging all night.   Powered the watch on, put it on my wrist.  Went to work.  I never 'used' the watch for anything other than a watch.   Did not open any apps, did not reply to any texts from the watch.   So the only apps that were running were apps that start automatically.   I even made sure, after the 2nd time the watch got hot by itself to use the blue close all apps button, which was empty, but I checked anyway.

Again, let me just say this for the 10th time.  The watch GETS HOT on my wrist for no reason at all.   I will be working at my desk, and the watch will just start to get warm.  It will stay warm for a few minutes then start to cool off.   In that time, the watch will lose 20+% of battery life.  This usually lasts maybe 5 - 10 minutes.   Now, here is the interesting bit... if I do not WEAR the watch... it will sit on my nightstand, powered on, for a few days.  Put as soon as the watch is 'worn' or 'moves' it decides to only last 8 - 10 hours max.

There in lies the kicker... Why when the watch is worn, and not being utilized for anything other than a time peice... does it get hot by itself, and drain the battery in just a few hours.   Seroiusly.. I will send you the watch.. You wear it for a day or two, and you will be just as baffeled as I am.

0 Likes
SamsungKim1
Supernova
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Is your device connected to a phone?

0 Likes
Christian_D
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

@SamsungKim1 : yes sir it is... a Galaxy Note 4.   So... Lets talk about that for a few minutes... 

First off... Removed the Gear app from the phone.  Reinstalled gear app, Re-synced watch.  No good.. still drains.  Cleared cache and data on Shealth app on the phone, cleared data and cache on the gear app.   No good.   Still drains.  

In a fit of blind hope.. Factory reset the phone... Because.. the PHONE would be draining the battery on a watch.. because that makes perfect sense.. ... No.. but hey.. lets try anyway..  Redownloaded the gear app.. resynced watch.. Still not good.

Because you guys will probably ask ... 

Galaxy wearable app installed on phone - version 2.2.21.18080361

Gear S Plug in app - Version 2.2003.18083051

Samsung Health app - Version 6.0.0.085

Phone - Samsung Note 4 - SM-N910A

Android version 6.0.1

0 Likes
SamsungKim1
Supernova
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Can I get you to send me your full model code and serial number for your gear via private message?

0 Likes
Christian_D
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Sent.  I have been struggling with this for months.  Havent worn the watch.. for months.  Just with tons of other people on this board.  This started after an update to the watch.  I dont remember which one it was exactly.   There were one or two odd occasions when I first got the watch that it would drain quickly.  But that would be maybe once a month, if even that.   Then there was an update, which usually we get excited for new updates, features, etc..  And within 2 days of the update, the watch started acting up... Pretty sure I posted on this forum with in a couple of days or a week of it happening.  That post was on ‎02-12-2018 @08:23 AM..   So take a couple of weeks prior to that.   

Now.. Since then.. I think there was another update.  But the one in mid to late January is the one that killed the watch.

And the update since then did nothing to address the problem.  

0 Likes
userYg0hwgts34
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

this started happening to me as well. My NFC turned on. That drains the battery so fast! And it will turn on automatically if the back button is bumped. Only if Samsung pay is installed. 

Hope this helps! 

0 Likes
userqsBYnQI85k
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

next update...

thought it would finished, as battery runned more then 4 days on a charge (see my previous post). Disappointment: the next run after full charge gave a really bad cycle again; just 13 hours before warning low battery...

Recharged overnight once more to full and monitored progress; after 11 hours it consumed 29%, while almost all notifications were disabled...

Next (rigorous) step: uninstalled gear manager, & uninstalled Goproviders & SAproviders as they are used by the gear manager....

Then re-installed gear manager, which engaged re-installation of Goproviders & SAproviders, reinitialized my watch (as that was triggered by gear manager); setup only minimal notifications (12, among it email/gmail/messaging/phone incoming & missed calls), noted down time and battery status -71%.

See what the result will be...

robinhood282

0 Likes
SamsungViv
Neutron Star
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

@userqsBYnQI85k

Thanks for the update! Hopefully things will be more evened out now.  Keep us posted though.  🙂

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userdvcUSZQdLG
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I have the same problem. It seems the solution is to not use any of the app . I already have it at 30% illumination. What a disappointment.! Might stop using it and go back to regular watch. 

0 Likes