JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Gear S2 fast battery drain January 2017

(Topic created: 04-15-2019 02:40 PM)
userZ38hlUFMlP
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S2 (non phone version) has been running with no battery issues where it would last up to 36 hours. Bluetooth active, Sleep as Android etc. I started to get a cache full on my S7 in late January 2017 so I told it to clear cash and it seemed to start the problem. I did have music on my watch and had about 1 gb of memory left.

The battery started to last maybe 5 to 6 hours. I did a full reset/rebuild on the watch and went to base settings but it only added a couple of hours.  

Based on use and past performance I have to believe that it was a recent update to either the watch or phone.  

Please advise as to issue cause and how to restore the watch to it's former battery capacity.

Gear 2 

model SM-R732

Tinzen 2.3.2.1

SoftwareR732XXU2EPK5

Knox 2.0.0

Knox Tinzenwearable 1.0.0

Tima 3.0.0

Galaxy S7  edge

Gear App

Device SM-G935P

Device Name: Gear S2 8CD3

Samsung gear app  - 2.2 16101261

Gear S Plugin - 2.2.03. 16111661

188 Replies
user3cRM1iGVwt
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I had previously had very good luck with battery life until the latest update as well.  This morning I only got 5 hours out of it before it warning me that it was at 15% and I needed to charge it or go in power save mode.... :-(.  Samsung - please help!

Gear S2

Galaxy S7 Edge

0 Likes
user4cGsH3KTam
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Ive only been getting 2 hours then battery dead

0 Likes
user0IJGV09T8j
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Same here. Have done everything suggested. Deleted apps, cache, data. Uninstalled and re installed repeatedly. Woke up this morning to 100% battery. 24 min later I am down to 91% and all I did was check to see what the battery consumption was on the app. Its settings for some reason. Ugh. Please help. I am so sick of this paper weight. 

Samsung_Stephanie
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

user0IJGV09T8j, have you already tested a reset of the watch?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userjmPMgMTWca
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
Owned a Gear S2 for 3+ years now. I would get the occasional day with a fast drain (about once every 3 weeks, or so) and a power cycle would usually clear that up. It was originally paired to a Note 3 and earlier this year I swapped that for an LG G6. I got fed up with messages not coming over from the G6 correctly, so bought a new Note 9 earlier this month. Even since I've paired the S2 with the Note 9, I've experienced the fast drain pretty much every single day now. I did a full factory reset on the Gear and re-paired and still get the fast drain. I tried disabling notifications only whist be worn, enhanced location on the phone and that worked for a day, but the issue came back. Have removed the gear app from the phone and re-installed and still see the same issue. Go back to the LG G6 and battery life is fine on the watch. Go back to the Note 9 and back to fast drain on the watch. Currently have the Note 9 in safe mode and the battery on the watch is acting normal again. Main culprits on the gear battery usage are watch faces and Samsung Health. I use the default neon green watch dial with the calendar date showing.
0 Likes
SamsungKim1
Supernova
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Inspect the watch and charger for physical or liquid damage. Use only Samsung-approved chargers and accessories, which are specifically designed for the device. The Watch cannot be charged properly with a third-party charger.

Verify that the battery is being properly charged using a charger specifically designed for the Watch.
Verify that the watch software and apps have the most recent software updates installed. 
Use the watch's various features to help reduce battery consumption.
If the issue continues after updating the software and fully charging the battery, reset the watch.

If all of the above steps have been performed without resolving the issue, service is required. 

0 Likes
usertR9p4RWMcO
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Please take note of userjmPMgMTWca comments.  It may very well be an issue with the Gear software on the phone.  

Some days I get 32 hours on the watch and some days I get 4.  I have a Note 8, but don't see any difference between that and the S7 I had previously.  I have had the watch 3.5 years and I love it, but lately it spends more time on the charger than it does on my wrist.

This has been a continuing issue for 2 years now.  You would think Samsung could resolve it by now.

1stLensman
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

SM-R735  There is no longer a gear appin the Play store it is called "Samsung Wearable". went from 100% on Samsung charger at 4:30 a.m. to 53% at 7:00 a.m. no wifi no apps just message notification.

userDH7eX8L3mI
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

You may need a new battery. My galaxy gear 2 was stuck on stupid for a while. So my curious mind made me open it up. Best Buy was gratitious enough to replace my watch and let me keep the old one, since they no longer sold the one with the camera. After I opened the watch, I found that the battery was swollen. I ordered a new battery. I'll let you know if that solves all the problems. 

0 Likes
Solution
userZ38hlUFMlP
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I did a factory reset, rebuild and recharged the watch again as well as deinstall/reinstall samsung gear app on the S7 Edge.

I did back out a few watch faces that I knew that I would never use.

So far it appears to have worked as the watch is still above 1/4 full after nearly 4 days. I have not added my music back on the watch but it does look promising.